Installing OS 7.5.3

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Polychromatic
Space Cadet

Installing OS 7.5.3

Post by Polychromatic »

I'm trying to install OS 7.5.3 on a new disk file, and I'm booting into 7.0.1 from the bootup disk provided with the guide here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

However, when I do, I receive a checksum error when I try to extract part 1 of 19 to create the install volume. Basilisk loads "fine", that is I can get it to the desktop without too much issue. I'm running the latest build, and I have it set to Mac IIci (MacOS 7.x), 68040 processor, and I'm using a 1M Performa 630 ROM.

I have tried copies of the system 7 software from 2 different locations, as well as trashing the .hfv file I had and creating a new one. I have used the hfv explorer to copy the files correctly.

The installer verifies the first stage, but it stops with a failed checksum check after verifying the 19 parts.

Any ideas are welcome, thanks!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Hey, I actually changed the bootdisk recently. I think there was/is a problem.

How about booting from this instead of the bootdisk:

http://emaculation.com/articles/starterdisk.zip

And then install the OS.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Followup:

I just installed from the boot disk onto a blank hfv. It worked fine.

I tested it using the Basilisk download from the official page (not the unofficial build from this website). And I tested it using the performa rom from this website:

http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/

Try using that ROM. Or any different ROM.
Polychromatic
Space Cadet

Post by Polychromatic »

ClockWise wrote:Hey, I actually changed the bootdisk recently. I think there was/is a problem.

How about booting from this instead of the bootdisk:

http://emaculation.com/articles/starterdisk.zip

And then install the OS.
Downloaded and booted from, and it's running system 7.5.5 (was on the disk). I tried again to mount up the system 7.5.3 volume, and received the same checksum error. I've tried the different ROM images as well, and of the ones that boot, none of them have worked.

The next thing I'm going to try is working from a completely fresh download and install of Basilisk. I'll report back when I have.
Polychromatic
Space Cadet

Post by Polychromatic »

I've tried a new download of Basilisk (the official stable version), and using different ROM images, all to no avail. For the time being what I'm going to do is copy the files from the 7.5 hfv you provided to a larger one and use that. I'll try this on an XP box when I get the chance.

For the record, this happened on Windows Vista Business 64 bit edition.

EDIT: Ok, that didn't work. Its just giving me the flashing disk with a ? on it when I attempt to boot now. Weird thing, going to give up for now and visit it later today. Thanks for the input.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

When you try it out again, could you post a screenshot of the error message you are getting? I've never seen it... and it hasn't been mentioned on thsi forum before.
Steve Cave
Space Cadet

Checksum error

Post by Steve Cave »

I am having the same problem. When I double-click on the first .smi file of the System 7.5.3 installer, a checksum error is reported. I have tried re-downloading the System 7.5.3 installer files by several different means, but the error has persisted. I have always copied the installer files into my HFV disk volume using HFVExplorer 1.3's "Automatic Translation" mode. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I am baffled as to where in my set-up process the purported data corruption could be occurring. I had no such problems setting up Basilisk II on another OS, so I can only suspect that Vista is to blame, or that Basilisk II has been coded in such a way that it cannot work on Vista.

Incidentally, Basilisk II now locks up for me on boot-up, showing only a black screen. Resetting parameters and the PRAM file do not cure this latest problem.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Not sure about that checksum error you are getting. If you haven't already, maybe check out the Basilisk II setup guide on the main page to make sure you aren't making any obvious mistakes. Also, think about changing the ROM image you are using. It's worth a shot.

As far as the black screen goes? Yeah, that's a very common problem that we aren't really sure about.

Here's a reference:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5592

One very blunt force way to (probably) cure the problem would be to use a very old version of Basilisk. I bet that THIS one doesn't have the same problem:

http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Bas ... 012001.zip

It's from 2001.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

About the black screen: a forum member mentioned that lowering the memory allocated to Mac OS in the GUI to 128 Mb solved that problem.

Cat_7
..::| Dave89 |::..
Mac Mechanic

Post by ..::| Dave89 |::.. »

Changing the memory to 128 MB didn't work for me.

Dave
Australia
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Do you also get a black screen when you start basilisk for the first time after you booted your machine? or only when you start it for a second time?

Best wishes,
Cat_7
curts
Space Cadet

Installing OS 7.5.3

Post by curts »

Not sure about that checksum error you are getting. If you haven't already, maybe check out the Basilisk II setup guide on the main page to make sure you aren't making any obvious mistakes. Also, think about changing the ROM image you are using. It's worth a shot.
One very blunt force way to (probably) cure the problem would be to use a very old version of Basilisk. I bet that THIS one doesn't have the same problem:

http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Bas ... 012001.zip

It's from 2001.
I took the exact same Performa ROM image, OS 7.5.3 disk images 1-19, and hard drive images from my Ubuntu AMD64 10.4.1 install and after having configured this old version of Basilisk II on my 32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3 partition it had no trouble at all computing the checksum and I was able to install OS 7.5.3.

Using the Linux BasiliskII_X_21_09_2010_No_DGA_No_ESD release, repeated attempts would yield a different checksum for each attempt. Sometimes the second attempt would cause Basilsk II to crash. After completing the OS 7.5.3 install to the hard drive image, the above Linux version was able to boot with the same hard disk image without any problem.