SheepShaver on Playstation 3

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

billb
Student Driver

SheepShaver on Playstation 3

Post by billb »

I tried to get SheepShaver running on my PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed a while back but wasn't successful ... finally got it running recently! :mrgreen:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... 1560#p1560

The downside is that even though the PS3 has a PowerPC-based core, I'm having to use SheepShaver's PowerPC emulator. OS 8.6 boots up in a reasonable amount of time and simple tasks like the "puzzle" game run fine, but generally it's very slow.

I installed the iCab web browser and am able to load websites, but even Google's simple start page takes a long time to load (I'm using the "slirp" option in the SheepShaver setup window). I don't really need to be able to use the web browser though since I can download software on Linux and access it through the "Unix" share.

The problem I'm having with using the native PPC CPU instead of PPC emulation apparently relates to "sheepthreads.c" and the version of glibc I have on YDL 6.1.
- Use ppc cpu emulator even when running on ppc, as using the native cpu
requires a private implementation of pthreads from:
src/Unix/Linux/sheepthreads.c
which depends on glibc pthread internals which are no longer exposed by
glibc and quite possibly changed
So my question: Is SheepShaver still being developed at all? Any chance of an update from the original author(s) or others?

EDIT: a second question -- would someone please provide me with link(s) to some PPC Mac OS 8.6 games that might run on a slow system? I've Googled around a bit and did a quick search of the forum but haven't had much luck.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Very cool!

SheepShaver is not under development by the original authors. Some bugs have been fixed by users of this forum, so maybe there is a chance you can get help. Maybe.

System7Today has a bunch of PPC game demos that should also work in OS 8:

http://main.system7today.com/gaming.html
billb
Student Driver

Post by billb »

Thanks for that link -- I'll probably try some of the non-FPS game demos just for the fun of it.