Login  •  Register

The time is now: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:03 pm 
Space Cadet

I need SheepShaver to run an OS 9 application starting in September. I currently use a MacBook Pro and I plan to upgrade to OS 10.6 when it becomes available. Should I wait until then to install and configure SheepShaver?

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 pm 
Expert User

Configuration will not be different, the settings and all additional files (like disk images and ROM file) will be the same. So you can install and configure SheepShaver now.

However, we do not know yet if the SheepShaver application itself will run in Snow Leopard. Depending on how important SheepShaver is for you, you may want to wait with upgrading to Snow Leopard until you are certain SheepShaver will run in Snow Leopard.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:17 pm 
Space Cadet

Not that I would know… 8)

Things seem to be working in under build 10A411.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:25 pm 
Expert User

:P

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 pm 
Space Cadet

I'm running OS 10.6 10A421a on a MacBook Pro with SheepShaver UB 2009-07-26 with OS 9.0.4 installed from my Power Mac G4. I use the ROM from the "MacOS.sheepvm" because the other ROMs I tried didn't work. It mostly works: I had a couple of good runs, but sometimes SheepShaver quits when the OS is fully booted (desktop showing and all) after one second or two. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 10.6: I probably just have to find the right SheepShaver preferences.

Screen Grab

- Kewl

Last edited by Kewl on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:13 pm 
Expert User

Thanks for the info. But please make the image smaller in dimensions or just link to it without showing it in your message. The large image stretches the topic horizontally, causing a horizontal scrollbar and thus making the messages difficult to read.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:42 am 
Space Cadet

Continuing with the experimentation, I ran two SheepShaver VMs at the same time to more fully tap the MacBook Pro CPU potential and also tried it with Snow Leopard 64 bit kernel: everything works!

Screen grab

- Kewl

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:26 pm 
Space Cadet

Works with 10A432.

- Kewl

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 am 
Tinkerer

How does one know what ROM is being used. I have SS running on my MacBook Pro and use it nearly every day for work. I am not at all sure of the upgrade to Leopard. I got all my SS files in one bundle but I did take a number of ROM from other locations.

For Snow Leopard I want to be certain to use the one that works the best. I have been trying to understand why I want to dl the new SS build. Is it for Snow Leopard? Does it fix the "try and find it" cursor?

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 pm 
Expert User

If a ROM file works with SheepShaver and the installed MacOS system, it is OK, there is no need to replace it. That does not change with Snow Leopard.

Quote:
"try and find it" cursor

What do you mean with that? Do you still use the May 2006 snapshot from Gwenole Beauchesne's site? Many bugs have been solved in the past years, also the cursor problems. I do not know which "new SS build" you are referring to. From earlier postings I got the impression that you are using the July 21, 2008 build, which should still be fine, especially the "H" version. If you use an older version, you can replace it with a newer one, like this one:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5567
Or the one posted here, which contains the latest changes:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 0713#30713

So far, the existing SheepShaver builds have been reported to run in Snow Leopard, so there should not be a reason to update SheepShaver for Snow Leopard. But we can not be 100% certain it will run OK on the release version until it is available and SheepShaver can be tested on it.

Post a reply  
 Post subject: Snow Leopard Issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm 
Student Driver

I have noticed some changes in performance under Snow Leopard.

Months ago, I could emulation Pegasus Prime beautifully. Now, it seems SheepShaver is locking up, and aborting frequently. 90% of the time when I launch this game, it crashes Sheepshaver. Before, never an issue.

So its either a problem with a recent update to Sheepshaver, or problems with performance running under Snow Leopard (Build 432a)

Brandon :(

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:12 pm 
Granny Smith

Can you try older builds of SheepShaver to figure out if it's indeed changes to SheepShaver that are causing this?

Post a reply