SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 25-10-2009 available

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 25-10-2009 available

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The 18-10-2009 build that was originally posted in this topic, caused a freeze or crash at startup on some machines. This seems to have been solved for most with this 25-10-2009 build. The discussion about the 25-10-2009 build starts here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 1574#31574

SheepShaver UB build 25-10-2009 for MacOSX 10.4 and 10.5, should also work in 10.6.
Compiled from CVS 25-10-2009 (with exceptions). Many fixes and improvements, among which the fix for the "Cannot map RAM" error on Leopard, see included ReadMeFirst.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 091025.zip

If you have an existing SheepShaver setup, you can simply replace the application with the new application.

If you set up SheepShaver for the first time, follow the instruction in the Setup Guide, updated March 20, 2010 (link also included in the download):
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

This new build supports self contained SheepShaver virtual machine bundles with extension .sheepvm. The manual does not yet contain information about how to setup and use the virtual machines. You can read about the virtual machines and about the development of the related SheepShaverLauncher in this thread:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5754

When you run SheepShaver in full-screen mode in standard setup, the built-in preferences editor cannot be used. You can access the settings with the stand-alone Prefs Editor:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... rPrefs.zip
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
pmnc33
Space Cadet

New version - questions

Post by pmnc33 »

Hello,

Newcomer here, but "old" macuser (since 1991...) :-)
From System 6 to Tiger

My question:
Does that mean that this new version will work on Intel Mac computers?
I would like to install 9,0.4 (but would prefer 9.2.2. ... ) on a new Intel-Mac (mini)

Rgds.

Note:
I still have almost every OS system since 7.5.1... (original CD's),
i.e.: 7.5, 7.6, 8.0, 8.1, 8.6, 9.0.4, 9.2 (plus some intermediate up-dates)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, certainly.

Basically, you can run 8.5 to 9.0.4 on your Intel Mac with SheepShaver and 7.5 to 8.1 with BasiliskII.

Our setup guide explains the procedure and requirements:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

Best,
Cat_7
pmnc33
Space Cadet

Mac Intel

Post by pmnc33 »

Many thanks
Angler
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 18-10-2009 available

Post by Angler »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:New SheepShaver UB build for MacOSX 10.4 and 10.5, should also work in 10.6.
Compiled from CVS 18-10-2009.
This is my first post here and I really would like thank you, Ronald, and everybody else working on SheepShaver for your efforts! It makes my life a lot easier being able to run Mac OS 9.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.

I started with SheepShaver (2.3 090319) on a iMac G5 2,1 and continued now on a MacBook Pro 2,26. My experience is that SheepShaver runs on lot faster on the G5 but on the MacBook (Mac OS X 10.5.8) much more stable.

Now my real reason for this post: your new build does not run on my system. I simply replaced the old version with the new one. When I start SheepShaver (20091018) it shows the first grey screen, the second grey screen, the smiling face in the classic Mac, and then the Mac OS 9 boot window. Then it quits (not crashs) immediately without any further hint.

The last lines in the log are

23.10.09 09:53:03 [0x0-0xa9ba9b].SheepShaver 2[11419] PowerPC CPU emulator by Gwenole Beauchesne
23.10.09 09:53:03 [0x0-0xa9ba9b].SheepShaver 2[11419] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
23.10.09 09:53:03 [0x0-0xa9ba9b].SheepShaver 2[11419] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)

followed by 7 similar looking entries:
23.10.09 10:03:17 SheepShaver[11590] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x158870 of class SDL_QuartzWindow autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
Stack: (0x95c4df4f 0x95b5a432 0x91b2c210 0x780e4a52 0x780e54fc 0x780dd7ab 0x780b1af5 0x780b1bb2 0x94a86dc7 0x94a86cb0 0x7804b38b 0x780a3351 0x7806a18e 0x94b14814 0x94b146e7 0x78069504 0x94a8f155 0x94a8f012)
rasampson
Space Cadet

upgrade COI 4.0.1 to this newbuild

Post by rasampson »

Hi,
I have the older COI 4.0.1 build installed on a Mac Mini with 10.5.8. Can I upgrade that install with this new build or do I have to reinstall?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Angler wrote:Now my real reason for this post: your new build does not run on my system. I simply replaced the old version with the new one. When I start SheepShaver (20091018) it shows the first grey screen, the second grey screen, the smiling face in the classic Mac, and then the Mac OS 9 boot window. Then it quits (not crashs) immediately without any further hint.
An application suddenly quitting in MacOSX is usually what happens when an applications crashes.

What do you mean with "first grey screen" and "second grey screen"? On my iMac, the happy Mac shows almost immediately in the SheepShaver window after launching SheepShaver.

Do you run SheepShaver in window mode or in full-screen mode?

Have you tried startup with extensions disabled? (Press the shift key immediately after SheepShaver window opens or while the happy Mac is visible, but before the welcome screen is shown, and keep the key pressed until you see the message that extensions are disabled.)

Edit: I could reproduce the problem. See follow-up below.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: upgrade COI 4.0.1 to this newbuild

rasampson wrote:I have the older COI 4.0.1 build installed on a Mac Mini with 10.5.8. Can I upgrade that install with this new build or do I have to reinstall?
You cannot simply replace COI by SheepShaver. You can setup SheepShaver using the rom file (must be buried somewhere inside COI) and the disk images you used.
Or, possibly, you can replace one of the two executables inside the COI application with a renamed copy of the SheepShaver executable from the SheepShaver application. (I did not try that.)

Edit: Apparently, after COI has run and set up itself, you can run any SheepShaver build as long as you do not move/remove COI.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Angler wrote:When I start SheepShaver (20091018) it shows the first grey screen, the second grey screen, the smiling face in the classic Mac, and then the Mac OS 9 boot window. Then it quits
I could reproduce this on Intel with JIT Compiler disabled. Probably, you do not have JIT Compiler enabled. That also explains why SheepShaver runs slower on your Intel machine compared with your iMac G5 and it explains why you can discern the different grey screens at the slow startup.

Use the stand-alone Prefs Editor (see link in first post) to enable JIT Compiler (in Miscellaneous tab). I expect SheepShaver to run fine (and much faster) after that.
cdorje
Student Driver

new build crashes on intel

Post by cdorje »

First, thanks for your work. I've had success running PageMaker using Sheepshaver on both PPC and Intel Macs. Unfortunately, this new build crashes on both a PM G5 and MBP. In both cases, I have a working previous version of SheepShaver and replaced the app with the new build.

Separate issue: For some reason fontographer crashes in all of my Sheepshaver setups. The program starts up fine, but as soon as I try to open a font, it crashes. Any clues?

Thanks, David
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: new build crashes on intel

cdorje wrote:First, thanks for your work. I've had success running PageMaker using Sheepshaver on both PPC and Intel Macs. Unfortunately, this new build crashes on both a PM G5 and MBP. In both cases, I have a working previous version of SheepShaver and replaced the app with the new build.
Issues on PPC are known, see Edit in the first post.
When and how does the new build crash on your Intel machine? Does it look like what "Angler" reported here? See posts above and my answers.
Separate issue: For some reason fontographer crashes in all of my Sheepshaver setups. The program starts up fine, but as soon as I try to open a font, it crashes. Any clues?
Some applications cannot run on SheepShaver because of incomplete hardware emulation by SheepShaver. I do not know if this is the case with Fontographer.
Angler
Space Cadet

Post by Angler »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: I could reproduce this on Intel with JIT Compiler disabled. Probably, you do not have JIT Compiler enabled.
Yes, you are right, I had not. I enabled that option, to no avail. Then I followed your recommendation and started to look at the Mac OS 9 side by disabling the extension during startup. (Oh, it is long long ago that I did that :-) And Mac OS 9 booted. I searched for the culprit and it turned out that it was QuickTime. But I have to admit that I used QuickTime 4 which is really pretty old.

With QuickTime 6.0.3 everything runs fine even with the JIT Compiler disabled. But of course I immediately enabled it again.
it explains why you can discern the different grey screens at the slow startup.
Oh, I even could discern the two grey screens on the iMac G5.

Thanks for your help, I am a happy camper again and the world now knows that using ancient QuickTime 4 is not a good idea.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Angler wrote:With QuickTime 6.0.3 everything runs fine even with the JIT Compiler disabled. But of course I immediately enabled it again.
Oops! You may now encounter problems when viewing content that uses QuickTime. QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest version that is fully compatible with SheepShaver.
The problem you had with QT was not the version but could have been a different issue, for instance a corrupted preferences file.

(Downgrading from QT6 to QT4 cannot be done by simply re-installing QT4. All QT-related files must be removed before installing again QT4.)
Angler
Space Cadet

Post by Angler »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Oops! You may now encounter problems when viewing content that uses QuickTime. QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest version that is fully compatible with SheepShaver.
Oh, yeah, now I remember ...

The only reason why QuickTime is installed is GraphicConverter which complains if QuickTime is not installed. I never will open video or audio files on my SheepShaver system. So I dare to use QuickTime 6 until I will run in problems.

Thanks again!
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

Thanks for the new 18102009 build.
Unfortunately on my MacBookPro (first version) with OSX 10.5.8 the app quits when starting up (see the screenshot just before it quits).
With the build of 19032009 all is fine.

Here are some screenshots, perhaps they are of any help.
http://www.dmmdh.nl/screenshots/sheepsh ... obleem.pdf

Best,
Wim
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

In your screen shots I saw the screen resoltion set to 1600 x 0. have you tried setting the screen to some 4:3 setting like 1600x1200.

Best,
Cat_7
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Howard,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I also tried a window size of 1024x768 and later also with disabled QuickDraw but all with the same result.

I guess it is a system or hardware issue because on my iMac Intel with the same prefs, same MacOSHD.dmg diskimage but with OSX 10.6.1, the build is running fine....

Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MacUser wrote:Thanks for the new 18102009 build.
Unfortunately on my MacBookPro (first version) with OSX 10.5.8 the app quits when starting up
This latest build appears to have problems on PPC Macs. See the Edit in the first post in this topic.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

Thanks for helping.
The MacBookPro is a duo core Intel Mac so not a PPC machine...
Anyway, in case you want to check out the Log I saved the console output, here it is:
http://www.dmmdh.nl/screenshots/Console ... es.log.zip

Best,
Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MacUser wrote:The MacBookPro is a duo core Intel Mac so not a PPC machine...
Sorry, yes. Must have been not quite awake yet. :oops:
Anyway, in case you want to check out the Log I saved the console output, here it is:
http://www.dmmdh.nl/screenshots/Console ... es.log.zip
I have absolutely no idea why that is happening.

Have you tried startup with extensions disabled? (Press shift key after SheepShaver window opens but before the MacOS welcome screen appears and keep pressed until the welcome screen appears with the message that startup will proceed with extensions disabled.)

Does the 26-07-2009 build that was posted by mschmitt work?
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 0434#30434
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

As suggested I tried also with extensions disabled but this didn't help.
I didn't install the 26-07-2009 version because (I can be wrong) this version was mainly build to make it possible to use the bundled versions.

What I can do is to try a revised version later when it is available for PPC machines, for me there is absolutely no hurry as my main machine is a iMac Intel and as reported on this machine all is fine.

Thanks for all your efforts,
Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MacUser wrote:I didn't install the 26-07-2009 version because (I can be wrong) this version was mainly build to make it possible to use the bundled versions.
No, that version was the version that also included the final fix for the "Cannot map RAM" error and I asked because on your MacBookPro SheepShaver dies with a SIGSEGV. If that build has the same problem on your MacBookPro, your problem may be related to that fix. If that build works fine, we have to look for later changes. (Support for vm bundles does not affect other operation of SheepShaver.)

BTW: Anything non-standard about installed RAM memory on your MacBook Pro?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

I can confirm that version 26-07-2009 start up fine, so no problems with this version on my MBP.
There are no memory related issues, ram disks or not standard RAM installed.

Hope this info helps to solve the problem.

Wim
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Some additional info:

Each time after a unexpected quit a file "PPC.log" is created in the parent forlder of the app.
The log file is empty and when it is deleted it is build again after next quiting of the app.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MacUser wrote:I can confirm that version 26-07-2009 start up fine, so no problems with this version on my MBP
Thanks. That is important information. I would not be surprised if the problem you reported has the same cause as the problems reported on PPC Macs. The crash or freeze happens in all cases soon after the MacOS welcome screen appears and before (or at the very moment) extensions start loading.