Missing Unix / Shared Folder

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

salperin
Space Cadet

Missing Unix / Shared Folder

Post by salperin »

I didn't see an answer to this when I searched the forum, so apologies if it's there and I missed it!

I've been able to successfully install OS 8.5.1 using the New World ROM on my PowerMac G5 running 10.5.8, and I've even been able to install an older version of FileMaker on it.

For some reason, I do not see the Unix/shared drive. I have it correctly listed in the Preferences, but it does not show up on the desktop.

Is this a network setting that I need to correct?

I also get very frequent lockups with the emulator. Usually after changing an OS-8 preference or even the SS Preferences.

I like what I see so far...I just need to have the kinks ironed out!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Welcome!
-Can you verify (or even show us) what the path to the shared folder is? The preferences file is called .sheepshaver_prefs and is normally hidden (mark the dot in front of it's name). Please use "open .sheepshaver_prefs" in a terminal window and copy the contents of the file in your reply.
-Is the shared folder located in your SheepShaver folder, or somewhere else where SheepShaver or the user account you use have no or insufficient rights?

The number of crashes might be minimized when you set "ignore illegal memory access" and "ignore illegal instructions" in the prefs.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

I've read that the lack of the Unix folder is one of the oddities of the "Chubby Bunny" build, one more reason to keep away from it. Use the regular SheepShaver builds from this forum and you shouldn't have that issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

PeterHolbrook wrote:I've read that the lack of the Unix folder is one of the oddities of the "Chubby Bunny" build
COI Chubby Bunny does have a "Unix" disk / shared folder, the shared folder being /Users/Shared/. Like all settings in Chubby Bunny, the shared folder is pre-configured and cannot be changed.

The fact that the OP writes " I have it correctly listed in the Preferences," indicates that he does not use Chubby Bunny. Chubby Bunny has no "Preferences".
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The fact that the OP writes " I have it correctly listed in the Preferences," indicates that he does not use Chubby Bunny. Chubby Bunny has no "Preferences".
Your logic isn't as solid as it looks at first sight. I've had SheepShaver for a long time and I have a "preferences" file. If I were to install COI Chubby Bunny, I very much doubt it would erase my SheepShaver's preferences file. Chances are I could still say "I have [the Unix "disk"] correctly listed in the Preferences". Sadly, COI wouldn't know it.

But, hey, I've never had Chubby Bunny myself, so perhaps what I read (namely, a tendency to a missing "Unix" disk on COI) is not true.
salperin
Space Cadet

Post by salperin »

Below is the prefs file. I've tried having the Shared folder both on the Desktop of the same drive as the SHeepShaver folder (but not in the same folder as it) as well as in another drive that has been mounted on the Mac, but neither seemed to work. I think that rights are ok, but maybe I'm wrong.

I had "ignore illegal memory access" checked but not the other. Now they both are checked.

I'm using SS ver. 2.3.20101106...is this correct?

Here is the prefs file:

disk /Volumes/SA-1TB/MacOS9
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Volumes/SA-1TB/MacOS9-Shared
screen win/800/600
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

PeterHolbrook wrote:If I were to install COI Chubby Bunny, I very much doubt it would erase my SheepShaver's preferences file.
It will completely erase that file and replace it with its own. In SheepShaver you can configure your settings, in Chubby Bunny you cannot change anything, the settings are hard-coded inside the application. If you would manually edit the .sheepshaver_prefs file, Chubby Bunny will again erase it and replace it with its own fixed settings as soon as it is launched. For your information, this is the .sheepshaver_prefs file as it is automatically generated by launching Chubby Bunny when the Chubby Bunny folder resides on my desktop:

disk /Users/ronald/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
rom /Users/ronald/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.old.rom
keycodefile /Users/ronald/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.BasiliskII_keycodes
disk /Users/Shared/400Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/800Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/1200Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/MyOldHD.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/COIHD.dmg
extfs /Users/Shared/
screen win/1024/855
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait false
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

salperin wrote:Here is the prefs file:

cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
[...]
"MacOS9-Shared" is a folder and it resides on a disk "SA-1TB"?

Is the disk a HFS+ (or HFS+ journaled) formatted volume? (It needs to be.)

Are you absolutely sure about the name of the folder? (Not, for instance, MacOS9_Shared?)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Missing Unix / Shared Folder

salperin wrote:I also get very frequent lockups with the emulator. Usually after changing an OS-8 preference or even the SS Preferences.
1. Some control panels cannot be used in SheepShaver. For instance Startup Disk is not only non-functional, but using it will make SheepShaver crash.

2. After saving changes in Preferences, SheepShaver needs to be quit and launched again.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Ronald is right, I´m afraid. COI does overwrite the Sheep prefs file.
I tried once and can confirm that.

Off topic: Startup Volume is working on some hosts (10.6.8 Hacki) insofar as it lets me switch between 7.6 and 8.6
and to 9.0, but not back from 9.0 to anything.
salperin
Space Cadet

Post by salperin »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
salperin wrote:Here is the prefs file:

cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
[...]
"MacOS9-Shared" is a folder and it resides on a disk "SA-1TB"?

Is the disk a HFS+ (or HFS+ journaled) formatted volume? (It needs to be.)

Are you absolutely sure about the name of the folder? (Not, for instance, MacOS9_Shared?)
Yes..."MacOS9-Shared" is a folder that resides on a disk "SA-1TB" and I'm absolutely sure about the name ("-" not "_").

Journaled? Do you mean the shared folder? I'm afraid I don't remember nor do I remember how to find out whether or not the disk is Journaled. Can you refresh me?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You can use disk utility to see if the disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended and Journalled. Select the disk and check the info at the bottom of the screen.

But I would recommend making a folder in your home folder and try to use that as shared folder, just for a test.
It might be that the other disks you tried don't have "owners enabled", so no owner rights can be set. This can happen if the disks are used for data only and no OS is installed on them.

Best,
Cat_7
salperin
Space Cadet

Post by salperin »

Cat_7 wrote:You can use disk utility to see if the disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended and Journalled. Select the disk and check the info at the bottom of the screen.

But I would recommend making a folder in your home folder and try to use that as shared folder, just for a test.
Duh! Forgot about Disk Utility! Don't ask why I did this eons ago, but the drive that has my Home folder (& SS folder) was formatted Journaled and the drive that I tried before (SA-1TB) is not journaled.

I tried the use a folder in the root of my HOME directory and that didn't show up either after changing the SS prefs and restarting the emulation.
salperin
Space Cadet

Post by salperin »

Wait wait! I think it's working. Testing now...
salperin
Space Cadet

Post by salperin »

Success! I think the problem was somehow related to the fact that the emulator kept crashing and didn't get to "reset" things correctly. I did a shutdown then restarted it and the Unix folder is showing up (when the shared folder is in the root of my HOME folder). I also tried it on the other drive (SA-1TB) and it worked fine.

The complication was that the emulator locks up and I must force-quit it after changing the location of the shared drive. To get it working, I have to launch it, let the OS check things out (since it quit unexpectedly), shut it down and then restart it. That gets me success.

Thanks to all for helping out a newbie Space Cadet!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Let's hope so. Apart from suggesting another rom file I'm out of ideas... so that would be just-in-time ;-)

I see: you have to restart SheepShaver, not only Mac OS to re-read prefs!

Best,
Cat_7