Basilisk II 1.42 Is Still Usable in Windows 10

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

WallyDog2149
Space Cadet

Basilisk II 1.42 Is Still Usable in Windows 10

Post by WallyDog2149 »

OK, so as the title implies, Basilisk II 1.4.2 for Windows still works properly on Windows 10.

The first thing I had to do was make sure Windows 10 was updated. That is a key factor as there are a lot of kinks worked out in the Creator's Edition update. Then I had to download and install all the 32-bit GTK runtimes on Emaculation's website, for Basilisk II. After that I went and downloaded and installed all the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime packages (both x86 (32bit) and x64 (64bit)) dating back to 2005 up to 2015 (the Basilisk II 1.4.2 GUI uses a Windows GDI interface that uses VCS 2008, but having the rest helps with redundancy).

Lastly, I downloaded the Direct X June 2010 Runtime update, extracted it, and ran Direct X "Setup" inside the extracted folder. Some will say, "But Windows 10 has DirectX12...it should be compatible with Direct X 9 already,"....nope....It was a partial compatibility media package included in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 Pro, and discontinued in all versions Windows 8.1, extracted it; none of which included backward compatibility with Direct X 8, 7, and 6. The runtime pack from Microsoft's website does have such backward compatibility. Basiliask II itself in Direct X mode requires Direct X8 to function with both 2D and 3D applications.

Set up Basilisk II 142 as you wish...for Quadra 605 emulation (seems to be the most stable System 7.5.3 setup for Basilisk II), I would recommend using a legally acquired Performa 630 ROM (because Basillisk II does not exactly list the gestalt ID's correctly) with the 68040 FPU emulated and Quadra 605/33 (Device ID 89) selected in Basilisk II's setup. Make sure that if you have an LCD monitor, you set the full screen refresh rate to 60Hz, and the frame latency timer option to 1 millisecond for the best results.

The OS install is pretty straightforward, but the key problem is installing software in general as well. I used the Apple Legacy Recovery Disc with Sheepshaver. I also straight out copied DiskCopy 6 from that disc onto my Basilisk II .hfv drive for .img formats (I am looking for 68K mounting software that recognizes ISO, Bin/Cue, and Toast that is compatible with system 7.5.3). System 7.5.3 Universal install for All Macintoshes (37MB) install.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Basilisk II 1.42 Is Still Usable in Windows 10

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for sharing your findings about BII-142!
That solves the question why everything worked for me with a PC upgraded from W7 to W10, but not with a clean W10 installation. My guess was a compatibility framework too, but you pointed out things clearly.

For mounting toast and iso from inside the emulator http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility is the one. Mounting bin/cue is not possible as far as I know.
WallyDog2149
Space Cadet

Post by WallyDog2149 »

24bit wrote:Thanks for sharing your findings about BII-142!
That solves the question why everything worked for me with a PC upgraded from W7 to W10, but not with a clean W10 installation. My guess was a compatibility framework too, but you pointed out things clearly.

For mounting toast and iso from inside the emulator http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility is the one. Mounting bin/cue is not possible as far as I know.

That utility may not work depending on the Macintosh you are emulating...there is an easier, yet a little more two-step way to do it in Windows 10 64bit. Especially if you are running System 7.5.3 or installing from the Apple Legacy Recovery Disc.

It retains the aforementioned ISO Image compatibility:
1. Open the Basilisk II 142 GUI, go to CD-ROM, select your prefered CD-ROM drive as the CD-ROM...click OK to exit the GUI.

2. Go to the CD-ROM image...be it ISO, BIN/CUE (Untested), TOAST, or IMG file extension formats...hold left shift on the keyboard and right click on the CD-ROM image file...select "Copy as path".

3. Open the file "BasiliskII_prefs" with Word Pad...enable the word wrap view to go by the size of the ruler (though honestly it may not matter) and after the lines for your bootable hard disk image you will find "cdrom" with your PC's CD-ROM drive letter next to it....Paste over the drive letter (and its colon) and delete the quotes around the drive path you just pasted in.

4. Open up Basilisk II 142's GUI and go to the CD-ROM section..if you see it there with its path, you are good to go...press "Run". If you want to use a bootable CD-ROM image, all you have to do is go to Basilisk II's "General" tab and switch The Bootdriver option from "Boot from first bootable volume" to "Boot from the emulated CD-ROM"...aand boom..you can now use the Apple Legacy Recovery Disc...or any other bootable CD-ROM image that will run on a 68k Mac....
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

WallyDog2149 wrote:Lastly, I downloaded the Direct X June 2010 Runtime update, extracted it, and ran Direct X "Setup" inside the extracted folder. Some will say, "But Windows 10 has DirectX12...it should be compatible with Direct X 9 already,"....nope....It was a partial compatibility media package included in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 Pro, and discontinued in all versions Windows 8.1, extracted it; none of which included backward compatibility with Direct X 8, 7, and 6. The runtime pack from Microsoft's website does have such backward compatibility. Basiliask II itself in Direct X mode requires Direct X8 to function with both 2D and 3D applications.
I keep losing track of developments in that area, but I hear dgvoodoo 2 is handy for getting old DirectX applications working (and that it may be superior to Microsoft's own compatibility package).
WallyDog2149
Space Cadet

Post by WallyDog2149 »

Jorpho wrote:
WallyDog2149 wrote:Lastly, I downloaded the Direct X June 2010 Runtime update, extracted it, and ran Direct X "Setup" inside the extracted folder. Some will say, "But Windows 10 has DirectX12...it should be compatible with Direct X 9 already,"....nope....It was a partial compatibility media package included in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 Pro, and discontinued in all versions Windows 8.1, extracted it; none of which included backward compatibility with Direct X 8, 7, and 6. The runtime pack from Microsoft's website does have such backward compatibility. Basiliask II itself in Direct X mode requires Direct X8 to function with both 2D and 3D applications.
I keep losing track of developments in that area, but I hear dgvoodoo 2 is handy for getting old DirectX applications working (and that it may be superior to Microsoft's own compatibility package).

dgvoodoo2 is actually a Glide wrapper that calls the 3Dfx API's to OpenGL; I use NGLide for that.
If it does wrap DX8 to DX12, 11, 10, or 9, it is totally necessary to use it for that if you install the runtime packages mentioned in the original post because Direct X 9c already does all that natively (without the wrapper involved). RealMYST (not the Masterpiece Edition) is a good example of that. It would not run properly on Windows 10 unless I usedd dgvoodoo 2 as a Glide Wrapper, or until I installed the June 2010 update (a compatibility update that should have been available when Windows Vista was released :roll: ) for Direct X. The only reason to use dgvoodoo2 is when your other glide wrapper fails.
NovHak
Space Cadet

Post by NovHak »

I'm intrigued to see people mentioning dgVoodoo 2 here, as I tried it myself but it showed clearly that Basilisk II doesn't use DirectX at all, be it 9 or pre-9. I tried the "screen dx/x/y/bpp" option, but it seems unrecognised by BII, and eventually only "screen win/x/y/bpp" works. And I'm using the latest BII for Windows afaik, the one that's available on this forum (20/02/2015).

Would other, older versions be arguably better ? I'm not keen on using any pre-JIT build for performance/energy saving reasons, and despite a few crashes here and there, it works reasonably well...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The older Basilisk142 was a fork specifically for Windows. It does use DirectX. You can download it and check the BasiliskGUI belonging to that version. Please note that you cannot use both the 142 version and the 2015 version on the same set of preferences, so put 142 in its own folder.

Best,
Cat_7
NovHak
Space Cadet

Post by NovHak »

Okay, so basically we have the choice between a DX-enabled version without JIT, and a non-DX version with JIT... I guess for each yin there's a yang !