Best presets for Mac emulation?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SistemaRayoXP
Tinkerer

Best presets for Mac emulation?

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Hi all, since I'm still developing bit by bit VirtualMac, I need some presets for the different versions of MacOS. I've seen in a post that adespoton knows many, so your help would be very appreciated.

I need presets for Basilisk, SheepShaver, QEMU and PearPC, for the following versions of Mac OS:
Basilisk
6.0.x
7.0-7.1
7.5-7.6
SheepShaver
7.5-7.6
8.0/8.1
8.5/8.6
9.0.x
QEMU
9.1-9.2
OS X 10.0
OS X 10.1
OS X 10.2
OS X 10.3
OS X 10.4
OS X 10.5
Ubuntu PPC (For QEMU)
PearPC (RedScorp and standard)
OS X 10.1
OS X 10.2
OS X 10.3
OS X 10.4

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks

Also I'll launch another beta in sometime soon (from 2 weeks to 2 months, since I need to apply the config files documentation into the app)(Version 0.6.1)
Hill radio station first attempt: Failure. Retrying...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Best presets for Mac emulation?

Post by adespoton »

BII doesn't really function in a sane way until 7.1: before that you need to use Mini vMac for stable emulation. 6.0.x through 7.0.x works well with the Mini vMac II default configuration. You can also use PCE/Macplus with that range (which offers more runtime configurability) but this will be black & white only, whereas Mini vMac II will do colour in whatever screen resolution you want.

Also, BII supports right through 8.1, so you might want to consider configurations for the entire range.

I'll provide more stuff for you as I get the time to do so :)
ArtiomWin
Student Driver

Post by ArtiomWin »

Nice, but situation would be a bit more complex:
1. I wouldn't tie presets to operating system versions since many versions of System Software/Mac OS can be run by two or more emulators. Sorting by hardware type (like in SoftMac) would be more logical.
2.There are some "white spots": A/UX (emulated by Shoebill), PowerPC System 7.1.2-7.5.1 (there's no emulators supported NuBus Power Macintoshes).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm wondering if we should create a google docs spreadsheet to map this all out; the only emulators that are still in active development (and so their support might change in the future) are MESS and QEMU.

Scratch the wondering: add details here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I've filled in what I know off the top of my head; feel free to fill in the missing bits and add custom configuration instructions into the fields that need it.