Arduino Macintosh clone

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mePy2
Tinkerer

Arduino Macintosh clone

Post by mePy2 »

Hello guys,

do you know if someone attempted to make a little clone of the Macintosh 68k? Not emulating it though (I mean, e.g. no Raspberry Pi with emulator inside)

Best
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Arduino Macintosh clone

Post by adespoton »

Not as far as I know... it's easier just to do it with an emulator.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

While there have been things done with the 68k Amiga and Sega Genesis (most recently the Mega Sg), at this point any such Macintosh clone would inevitably have to at least include Apple's copyrighted ROMs. But that's probably not the only impediment.
TomHarte
Student Driver

Post by TomHarte »

The Plus Too is an FPGA-based hardware replica of the Macintosh Plus, though that page describes it as still incomplete. But it will output a 1024x768 standard VGA image, using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for input, successfully booting System 6.0.8. The most recent update, from 2015, states that it was ported to MiST Board and stabilised after the description posted on the main page but doesn't imply it was completed.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Alongside that, I believe there was also work at a clean-room ROM implementation, but that also stalled out. It was able to run software compiled specifically for that ROM using MPW though.