System 7.1: Shift key does something strange

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

atreyu.ac
Student Driver

System 7.1: Shift key does something strange

Post by atreyu.ac »

Hi there,

I have noticed that, when emulating a System 7.1 capable Mac (Mac II CI, Quadra 800), pressing SHIFT sometimes makes the system emit a piercing sound and there's an small icon that looks like a pressed key appearing on the upper-right corner of the screen. Does not happen on System 6.x apparently.

How can I avoid that? Where can I disable that (somewhat stupid) behavior?
It interferes, for example, with fighting in Prince of Persia.

I have searched low and high and I can't see any mention online to that irritating counter-feature.

Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: System 7.1: Shift key does something strange

Post by adespoton »

atreyu.ac wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm Hi there,

I have noticed that, when emulating a System 7.1 capable Mac (Mac II CI, Quadra 800), pressing SHIFT sometimes makes the system emit a piercing sound and there's an small icon that looks like a pressed key appearing on the upper-right corner of the screen. Does not happen on System 6.x apparently.

I have searched low and high and I can't see any mention online to that irritating counter-feature.

Thanks!
You seem to have turned on a few features in the Easy Access control panel. The sound is from the "Beep when modifier key is set" setting. The small icon is sticky keys being enabled, which happens when you rapidly press the shift key (six times?). Disable the Easy Access control panel and the shift key should stop triggering it.
atreyu.ac
Student Driver

Post by atreyu.ac »

adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm
atreyu.ac wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm Hi there,

Thanks!
You seem to have turned on a few features in the Easy Access control panel. The sound is from the "Beep when modifier key is set" setting. The small icon is sticky keys being enabled, which happens when you rapidly press the shift key (six times?). Disable the Easy Access control panel and the shift key should stop triggering it.
How can I disable Easy Access? By dragging it to the bin?
atreyu.ac
Student Driver

Post by atreyu.ac »

Creating a folder called "DISABLED" and moving it there seems to work.