emulating OC 8.5 on OSX

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

marieolson
Space Cadet

emulating OC 8.5 on OSX

Post by marieolson »

Hi! I'm new to this and genuinely have no idea what I'm doing. I downloaded the most current version of sheepshaver and am running OS 8.5. For some reason, when i try to play a game i have loaded, the sound will not work. I do have the sound turned on and here's what the preferences are set to

output device: /dev/dsp
mixer device: /dev/mixer

I got my OS from redundantrobot. I've heard that this might be the problem why???

I appreciate any help anyone can offer but please keep it somewhat simplistic as i don't really know anything about sheepshaver. :???:

Thanks!!
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: emulating OC 8.5 on OSX

Post by kataetheweirdo »

If the “Apple Audio Extension” happens to be installed in the Extensions folder, remove it.
The sound preferences seem to be right. As for RR, it's mostly for legality reasons, but there can also be issues with the hard disk images themselves.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

On which host do you run SheepShaver? If it is on macOS, the prefs settings for audio devices are irrelevant, they are non-functional.

Sound needs to be enabled in Sound control panel in MacOS in SheepShaver by selecting "Built-in" for the output device. From our setup manual:
In "Sound" control panel, select "built-in" for the output device. In Mac OS 8.5/8.6, and sometimes in 8.1, the Sound control panel is installed in the "Apple Extras" folder. You can use it there to select the built-in output device. In Mac OS 9 the Sound control panel is again installed with the other control panels and can be accessed in the Apple menu. If the "Apple Audio Extension" happens to be installed in the Extensions folder, remove it.
You write that you run MacOS 8.5 and that you got the OS from Redundant Robot. As far as I know, Redundant Robot only offers a MacOS 9 boot disk. That disk does not contain a full OS installation, contains only a System Folder. Also, that disk is too small for additional installations. Better follow our setup guide and do a full OS installation.
marieolson
Space Cadet

Post by marieolson »

I switched and am running OS 9 instead and everything works perfectly! thank you for your help