How to extract data from a physical Mac

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How to extract data from a physical Mac

Post by adespoton »

Thanks for keeping on top of this, Craig! I'm pretty sure this is a buffering issue inside the BII/SS serial handler, but I haven't had time to go any further in-depth.

Maybe we need to get Kanjitalk755 or one of the other people who have messed around with the internals to have a quick scan and see if there's something that can be fixed here; I don't think the serial code has been tested very thoroughly to date.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

craigers01 wrote:I would be interested if anyone else can receive ONE byte into SheepShaver (with no additional termination character such as CR).
Well, I've just tried to repeat my earlier takes on serial communication and got success again. So, I created a pair of virtual COM ports with com0com and got COM10 and COM11 by default. When I set COM10 for Modem port in SS GUI, neither my program nor HyperTerminal were able to communicate with each other. Then I renamed COM10 to COM2 in com0com and set COM2 for Modem port in SS GUI. Afther that I fired SS again and now my program and HyperTerminal see each other and can send/receive data in both ways (including a single byte transfer). The ports settings were these: 9600 b/s, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no any flow control. I assume, SS (or its GUI?) doesn't like the namings outside of COM1-COM6, LPT1-LPT6 range, but it's a guess until someone takes a look at the sources.

Here's the screenshot proving that it works for me.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm very happy to be wrong here :D

The issue is easier to hunt down and potentially fix, and is common to actual hardware back in the day too -- I can remember not being able to set serial cards to addresses above COM6 and get them to communicate back in the day. I would never have expected this on the software side though.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

craigers01 wrote:My windows host has an USB->RS232 cable attached.
I don't think I would trust one of those. You might be better off looking for some kind of PCI I/O card that works with your version of Windows, or possibly a PCMCIA serial card if you're using a laptop.