Softmac Emulation bugs

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

slichtman
Student Driver

Softmac Emulation bugs

Post by slichtman »

By far I have found SoftMac to be versatile supporting SCSI partitions. The only gripe I have is any security based software (FileGuard/EmpowerII) lock up the emulator with 100 percent CPU. The CPU is a symptom of a bigger problem.

I am using Mac2Si and Mac2FX roms and system 7.5.3 and 7.1 do the exact same thing so I think its an emulator issue. Build 94 of Basillisk has SCSI support, but you cant boot off of SCSI. Correct me ;). I require protected volumes so I can break the volume lock of both programs as I did in the 90's;)

Any thoughts?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Softmac Emulation bugs

Post by adespoton »

slichtman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:29 am By far I have found SoftMac to be versatile supporting SCSI partitions. The only gripe I have is any security based software (FileGuard/EmpowerII) lock up the emulator with 100 percent CPU. The CPU is a symptom of a bigger problem.

I am using Mac2Si and Mac2FX roms and system 7.5.3 and 7.1 do the exact same thing so I think its an emulator issue. Build 94 of Basillisk has SCSI support, but you cant boot off of SCSI. Correct me ;). I require protected volumes so I can break the volume lock of both programs as I did in the 90's;)

Any thoughts?
You're correct on all counts. Unlikely you're going to find a fix for SoftMac any time soon though.

Have you tried the SCSI support in PCE/macplus or MESS? I've found them to be rather lacking compared to SoftMac, but it's possible they implemented the routines you need without the CPU pinning issue.
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

Thank you for the timely response. Since this is a pure hobby, I will try the other two you recommended. I was also going to see if I built my own rom off of my MacIIsi I have in my hobby room, maybe would fix my issue.
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

PCE is unusable ;). The mouse tracks slow and impossible to maneuver. Any tips would be appriciated.

Thank you
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

adespoton wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm Unlikely you're going to find a fix for SoftMac any time soon though.
Would be nice if they would open-source their older emulators (Fusion, SoftMac).

Has anybody tried contacting the developer and asking?

Just think about the possibilities (SCSI support once again in Basilisk II/SheepShaver)... :mrgreen:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

WizKid wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 pm
adespoton wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm Unlikely you're going to find a fix for SoftMac any time soon though.
Would be nice if they would open-source their older emulators (Fusion, SoftMac).

Has anybody tried contacting the developer and asking?

Just think about the possibilities (SCSI support once again in Basilisk II/SheepShaver)... :mrgreen:
Darek made his feelings on open source clear years ago, and hasn't changed his mind yet as far as I'm aware.

I believe he's sold licenses for his technology to others to be used in other commercial products, so he's unlikely to compete with that by open sourcing the code.

But who knows? People do change over time....
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Someone should send him an email and ask.

I think Darek has mellowed since the early 2000s. Maybe he'd be happy that people are still interested in his stuff and would release the code.

He even sent me a nice message when I commented on one of his recent videos. But maybe he didn't know who I was. :)