Flashback floppy version installation ?!

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Flashback floppy version installation ?!

Post by Sebiohazard »

Good morning all !

I downloaded Flashback (the most beautiful game in the world lol) here & after decompressing with Stufflt Expander (Windows version) I get a directory in which I have a Flashback file without extension ?! Normally there is always an extension either .dsk or .img ?! The file is 108 KB...

How do I install it in System 7.xx ?

Greetings !
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: Flashback floppy version installation ?!

Post by jonirob »

Copy flashback.sit to your System 7 hd using HFVExplorer then expand it with Stuffit Expander 5.5 in System 7.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

Thanks for your help, I installed HFVExplorer, I created a Games folder on System 7 HDD, but cannot copy the game, I am trying to drag and drop in the HFVExplorer window but nothing happens ?!

Greetings !

[EDIT] I found why the copy and paste did not work here
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

I have another problem ...

I copied the contents of Flashback to the System 7 HDD & when I click on the game I have this error message:

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The file lost some of its attributes when still on the Windows drive. You probably unstuffed it there.
Copy the flashback.sit to your Mac OS 8 disk as it is, and then use unstuff inside Basilisk to get a correct copy of the downloaded file.

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

Effectively it works by copying the Flashback.sit file to System 7 (7.5.3) & unzipping it with StuffIt Expander here.

Is it strange that the Windows version of Stuffit does not decompress all files correctly ?!

Greetings !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Is it strange that the Windows version of Stuffit does not decompress all files correctly ?!
It is not strange when you consider the underlying file systems. Mac OS uses data and resource forks in a file, while Windows has no idea about those and cannot preserve that combination. This has always been an issue when exchanging files between these two.
You should follow the rule to not expand Mac files on Windows. Unless you expand a file type like an .iso

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

OK thanks for your help !

Indeed, I downloaded Flashback CD version & I was able to decompress the .img file without problem under Windows.

Greetings !