Running SheepVM on M1 MacBook Pro

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jgillin
Space Cadet

Running SheepVM on M1 MacBook Pro

Post by jgillin »

Hi!

I am trying to run SheepVM on Mac Big Sur 11.3 Beta (20E5196f) and I'm getting this error (see screenshot)

"You do not have permission to open the application “SheepShaver-2014” - "Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance"

I have open up all the permissions, but I'm still getting this error.

Will SheepVM work with Rosetta 2?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Running SheepVM on M1 MacBook Pro

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver (at least recent builds) will run in Big Sur, also on a M1 Mac with the help of Rosetta2.

What is "SheepVM"?
Do I understand correctly that you use a .sheepvm setup? So far I only have reports of running SheepShaver in a classic setup on a M1 Mac, no reports yet of using a .sheepvm setup. But I see no reason why it would not run with a .sheepvm setup also.

If this is a .sheepvm setup, did you migrate it from a previous Mac? And where did you install the SheepShaver application? In a separate location or inside the .sheepvm package?

Which SheepShaver build do you use? Does "SheepShaver-2014” mean that you use a SheepShaver build from 2014? Unlikely that a 2014 build will run in Big Sur. It should be replaced with the latest build. Note that if you use a keycodes file, you will also need to replace that one with the newer version.

Both files, the SheepShaver application and the keycodes file can be found in this SheepShaver forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360