What is the best PowerPC emulator?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Whats the best PowerPC emulator?

PearPC
81%
QEMU
4%
SheepShaver
15%

Total votes: 26
Stephen Coates
Expert User

What is the best PowerPC emulator?

Post by Stephen Coates »

So what do you think is the best PowerPC emulator?
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

ok here is what motivated me to vote for pear pc
#1only one to run on both linux and windows
#2runs the latest release of Mac Os
#3runs most linux/bsd etc for ppc

but there is a but, i would vote for sheepshaver for the fact that it is in a more advance state so speeds are better
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

If I could vote for two emulators, then I would vote for PearPC and SheepShaver, they are both good.
I will have to install and use them both first to be able to vote.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I'd have to vote for SheepShaver. It's the only one that can run MacOS PPC at a useable speed, for now.
Summers
Student Driver

Post by Summers »

PearPC's the greatest - it runs Panther.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

8O I'm suprised that most people have voted for PearPC. I thought most people would have voted for sheepshaver, as sheepshaver is usable, however, pearpc is good because it runs macosx
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

Yes but, PearPC runs on windows
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The last two posts mirror my sentiments.
grayfox
Tinkerer

Post by grayfox »

Ive never heard of Qemu before today.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Theres a couple of posts about QEMU on this board. Has anyone here tried running QEMU
All.

Qemu MacOS Support

Post by All. »

I've used QEMU to test some Kernel 2.4.21/i386 modifications on a Kernel 2.4.21/i386 host. I was aware that it has PPC support (as both guest and host), but I was under the impression that it was only useful for booting the Linux Kernel, and the documentation didn't remotely seem to mention booting Mac OS. I'll continue to look into it, but is there any reason to suspect otherwise?
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

I have to go with PearPC because well like other users said , it looks great ,Windows compatible (I am too lazy to boot into Linux and do the shell commands)...Well , I will give a shot on Linux and Windows using PearPC...See which one runs faster...
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I wonder how many people would have voted for SoftMac Profesional and iFusion if I put those at the top. :D :!: :D :!:

hehehe
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

It's a bit unfair to put qemu there as it doesn't boot osx "YET" and only handles powerpc prep kernals.

Pearpc is too slow to do anything on really at the mo, and it's missing important features. (Sound, windows network, true usb support, accurate timings) It's not a viable alternative to owning a mac if you need one.

Sheepshaver is certainly more usuable (Speed wise) but it's too unstable for me to be used everyday yet it's probably fine for occasional use.

Ifusion wasn't a powerpc emulator was it it was more virtualisation only working on amiga's with a powerpc upgrade. (Only booted os9 I believe never used it)

It's got to be sheepshaver for now, unless of course your want to run powerpc linux prep kernal in which case qemu. Of course if you want osx then it has to be pearpc.

I suspect pearpc & qemu will be the emu's to keep an eye on.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Ifusion wasn't a powerpc emulator was it it was more virtualisation only working on amiga's with a powerpc upgrade. (Only booted os9 I believe never used it)
I forgot about that when I wrote that post, but Microcode Solutions are suppose to be working on a PPC emulator for windows. I wonder if they will EVER release it. Its been nearly finished for over a year now.

Who thinks iFusion for windows (the version with hardware card and the emulator) were/are fake?
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

Stephen Coates wrote:
I forgot about that when I wrote that post, but Microcode Solutions are suppose to be working on a PPC emulator for windows. I wonder if they will EVER release it. Its been nearly finished for over a year now.

Who thinks iFusion for windows (the version with hardware card and the emulator) were/are fake?
Defintely fake like Softmac pro, just keep spinning some hype to keep the punters enthralled except now with, pearpc, sheepshaver, qemu & softpear on the way I think they missed the boat by far. All free emu's all better than Softmac anyways.

If he had anything he would have released it by now.
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

desertboy: it would help to get valuable bug reports. If I am not aware of a problem and I can't reproduce it, then I can't fix it. Anyhow, I have now fixed all remaining (random) crashes I had with the latest JIT improvements. If you used a CVS snapshot from the past days of May, then cvs update.
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

Gwenole wrote:desertboy: it would help to get valuable bug reports. If I am not aware of a problem and I can't reproduce it, then I can't fix it. Anyhow, I have now fixed all remaining (random) crashes I had with the latest JIT improvements. If you used a CVS snapshot from the past days of May, then cvs update.
To be honest it's been at least 8 weeks since I last played around with sheepshaver so I probably shouldn't haven't commented. I ran it on gentoo (Native) and vmware (Winxp host, debian guest) but it could be stable for hours sometimes and very unstable others.

I emerged sheepshaver doubt that's CVS