dose anyone rember system 7 on windows

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

willhart
Apple Corer
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: right behind you.

Post by willhart »

Rumored somewhere (don't remember where) that the G6 would have full POWER4 integration and could run PowerPC and x86 side by side. Can I get a validation on this?
User avatar
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Israel

Post by PPC_Digger »

willhart wrote:Rumored somewhere (don't remember where) that the G6 would have full POWER4 integration and could run PowerPC and x86 side by side. Can I get a validation on this?
I know that the original PowerPC (601 if I am not mistaken) was developed by IBM, Apple and Motorola to run both x86 and 68k apps, while making a new RISC core which would run its own code (native PowerPC code).
gb
Real Swell Guy!
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:20 am

Post by gb »

PPC_Digger wrote:I know that the original PowerPC (601 if I am not mistaken) was developed by IBM, Apple and Motorola to run both x86 and 68k apps, while making a new RISC core which would run its own code (native PowerPC code).
The PowerPC 615 was to have an x86 decoder built-in the chip. However, performance didn't match the expectations, IIRC. I can't remember anything like a 68k decoder built-in. Apple/Connectix DR 68k emulators were fast enough and needed to be fully integrated into the system anyway.
robotintestines
Tinkerer
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:16 am

Post by robotintestines »

It sure would be neat to run Star Trek :(
CFran2
Mac Mechanic
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by CFran2 »

If hertz are so relative in processors, why don't we use a different system?"
Aint u ever heard of Megaflops?? Apple even used it in ads. i think its the number of operations a second[/quote]
User avatar
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Israel

Post by PPC_Digger »

CFran2 wrote:
If hertz are so relative in processors, why don't we use a different system?"
Aint u ever heard of Megaflops?? Apple even used it in ads. i think its the number of operations a second
[/quote]
Megaflops are units used to measure how many Floting-Point operation a CPU does per second. Another example is MIPS, the number (in millions) of instructions per second, however it is less accurate when comparing CPUs as different as Pentium/Athlon and PowerPC, since their instructions are extremely different from each other.
Post Reply