Problems installing Panther

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

RikShield
Space Cadet

Problems installing Panther

Post by RikShield »

A greeting to all members of the forum.

It's my first post and I want to ask a question. I'm a beginner of the mac emulation (and I haven't a good configuration) and I want to try this experience - I also know VirtualPC for the emu of others OS.
Well.....I have two software for emulation: CherryOS 1.0.1 and PearPC latest version and Prasys version - Mac OS X 10.3 Panther images on 4CD (iso format saved with Nero) - Mac OS X10.3 Panther preinstalled image on img format (3,2 Gb total).
I tried to run an installation with CherryOS with CDs - it's quite easy. The Installation wizard starts and booting up correctly but when I insert the second CD, CherryOS doesn't continue the copy of the files (doesn't recognize the support?), a color rotating pointing-icon appear but doesn't read the CD. CD support option is enabled and checked but, quitting and restart the application, I see that lose the check (a bug of Cherry?) 8O .
I tried also in both drives I have, a cdwriter and a dvdrom, without results!
Others config parameters are correctly: it's a my error or the CD is corrupted or faked (with ISObuster appear correctly)?

The other question is: it's possible, with CherryOS or Pear, loading a Panther's preinstalled image from an img file? I see that Cherry recognize only iso file format. I tried to convert .img to .iso but doesn't load it! :(

Thanks for all suggestions and excuse me for my not-perfect English!
RikShield
Space Cadet

Post by RikShield »

But Mac OS is on 2 or 4CDs???!
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

When I bought Panther Mac 10.3 it came on 3 cds
1st Mac OS 10.3
2nd Developer Tools and other software
3rd Apple's Version of X11

As far as the .img file... Pear PC can boot from .img files. Under the ppc.cfg file where it talks about IDE devices (or something like that) have IDE0 pointed to the .img file
RikShield
Space Cadet

Post by RikShield »

3 CDs???

I found this 2 version (2 and 4 CDs)in internet but I don't know if these are good. I use CherryOS - the 1st CD boot correctly and starts the installation. I use the minimal installation - when Cherry finish the last part of the installation of the 1st, the screen become grey and it don't possibile to insert the 2nd. When restart the Virtualmachine with ctrl+r doesn't recognize the 2nd CD and it is impossible to finish the installation.

Cherry is the final version (1.02)and I don't think it's a software problem.

Thanks
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

:x

#1 - The warez you are using is possibly corrupt (like you). We can not help you with that.

#2 - Please refrain from revealing you use illegally obtained software if you wish to continue posting on this forum.

#3 - Why are you using CherryOS? Did you buy it? (see #1)

#4 - :(

#5 - :|

#6 - :?
RikShield
Space Cadet

Post by RikShield »

Not illegally obtained but an evaluation version. :wink:
I want to try with PearPC becouse many members use it and I found a tutorial in PearPC.net.

It's more difficoult with PearPC - my interest in emulation of MacOS is only for a personal knowledge and I also not have the machine for emulate (I have an Athlon 1000 Thunderbird).

I only try.....
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I was mainly referring to this statement about Mac OS X ...

"I found this 2 version (2 and 4 CDs)in internet but I don't know if these are good."

Downloading Mac OS X off the Internet breaks many international copyright laws and is considered w4r3z1nG on this forum. Discussion closed.

I appologize for being snappy. How old are you?
RikShield
Space Cadet

Post by RikShield »

The copy of MacOS that I try is corrupted (becouse the 2nd CD doesn't start) and is a personal copy, for personal use.

For this reason I destroy this copy. I know that the copy is copyrighted and, when I have the possibilities, I buy a commercial copy.