Gemulator Explorer - Alternative?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Gemulator Explorer - Alternative?

Post by Ronald Mac »

Hi

Is there an alternative to Gemulator? Im trying to write a Network Access Image to floppy in WinXP, but Gemulator wont have it!

Thanks!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

You can use the "mount disk image as hard drive file" trick. I didn't think of putting it in the tutorial (but should).

1. Go to the Disk tab of BasiliskIIGUI
2. Click on the Browse button
3. Change "Files of type" to "All Files"
4. Navigate to the "Network Access.image" file and select Open

Now the Network Access.image file will show up in the Installed disks section and is bootable (no floppy required).
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

Gotcha, worked like a charm mate.

Thanks again! But I must warn you, I'll probably be back again before to long. :oops: :lol:
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

Haha, right Im back (told ya!)

So I can now boot from both "startdisk.hfv" and the network access image. But how then do i get it to recognise the empty drive I created for the installation of the full os? Apparently this automatically happens when booting from the floppy.

Sorry to be harrassing you guys so late! I have read the tutorials believe me, its just that not being able to write the boot disk has kinda thrown a spanner in the works.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

LOL. I'll be around until the Super EMP stops me.

Try holding the shift key down to disable extensions.

You have the blank hard drive file listed under installed hard disks right?
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

Yeh, I have the boot disk image and a 500mb empty drive in the installed drive box. Its starts up ok, but doesnt prompt me to format the empty drive.

I'll give that a try now, see if it helps.
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

No mate, no joy.

Hmmm...

What do you reckon, should i just try to get this floppy working? I have access Win95 machine, maybe Gemulator will work on that. I reckon if I can boot from the floppy and have just the empty drive installed in 'disk' then it MIGHT work.

Thanks again for the help!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Gemulator Explorer works on every Windows version except Windows XP, so your Win95 PC should work.

Since disabling extensions didn't work, try running Disk Tools (on the boot floppy image) and try verifying the unmounted drive.

If the unmounted drive doesn't show up under Disk Tools, please post the contents of your BasiliskII_prefs file.
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

Emu Mac,

Got it sorted mate, I was being a dick! The empty drive must have already been formatted. Just installed OS7.5.3 and it seems to work fine.

One thing though, the display is a bit fucked. Some weird lines and that appear and it looks rather odd! Do you reckon this could be rectified by updating to 7.5.5? Or is there something Iv missed (I did do all the control settings).
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Ronald Mac wrote:Emu Mac,

Got it sorted mate, I was being a dick! The empty drive must have already been formatted. Just installed OS7.5.3 and it seems to work fine.

One thing though, the display is a bit fucked. Some weird lines and that appear and it looks rather odd! Do you reckon this could be rectified by updating to 7.5.5? Or is there something Iv missed (I did do all the control settings).
That's a problem with the Basilisk II JIT build. Try using an older/newer JIT build, or a standard Basilisk II build.