No MacOS X for x86...but try Rhapsody for fun!

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

phirkel
Apple Corer

No MacOS X for x86...but try Rhapsody for fun!

Post by phirkel »

Hear ye, hear ye!
There is no such thing as "Maklar" or MacOS IA32/x86 or anything of the such. The only reason being, is that Apple has virtually no IA32/x86 developers. This may come as a shocker to many, but look at it this way...
Much of the code for MacOS X is, in fact, done in assembler. I mean, how the hell else could you be able to get Aqua to run at a decent speed on an early (300 MHz) G3 CPU? As well, if you look at anything that isn't based on it's GNU counterparts with a disassembler, you will be shocked to find that the code is super optimized and very neat...NOT A CHARACTERISTIC OF COMPILED C++. I mean, coding a bootstrap alone would be more effort than apple would be willing to go to on such a ludicrest project.

So, let's try out this thing called Rhapsody...Rhapsody is probably one of the coolest OSes out there for x86. I acquired my copy through semi-legit channels (bought an original copy from a local computer junkyard), and I don't condone piracy - *cough*hotline://preterhuman.net*cough* whoo...that flu is a doozie - but if you have an old S3 or Matrox video card, something better than a p133 (although it can run okay on a P100 or even a P90 I discovered, but best performance is from the P133+) and a lot of patience, you could have yourself a running version of Rhapsody DR2! Wouldn't that be cool. And, if you are Objective C savvy, you could, with a little effort, port OpenStep applications over to Rhapsody!

So, in summary, Maklar/Mac OS X IA32/x86 is a farce, Rhapsody is cool and POWERPC EMULATION WILL NOT HAPPEN.
-P.

Post by Guest »

Use a rom from a PowerPC Macintosh...
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Umm...perhaps you don't grasp how a computer works...there is other hardware like the CPU, for example, that would have to be emulated before you could run OS X as is. Or, many, many months of porting. And why would they do that? There would be such a rift between the Power PC and IA32 versions that it wouldn't be worth Apple's while to do so. So, on technological and marketing levels it wouldn't be worthwhile.

The ROM isn't even that crucial on modern macs...I believe it's only 1 MB or so anymore because it's all handled by a Soft ROM stored on the CD. So don't ever, ever say that again.
phirkel
Apple Corer

And...

Post by phirkel »

People shouldn't throw around terms when it comes to programming techniques when they don't understand what they mean. Please stop doing so.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Marklar

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Yes Marklar exists.

I should Know.

It's a concept OS. Like a concept car. Never will be used but it is out there.

After all, X is based from Darwin which runs on X86 minux Aqua.

So that leaves Carbon & Aqua & Quartz to develop for X86. Doesn't take alot.
ihartmacz
Student Driver

Post by ihartmacz »

isnt Marklar a planet that the creators of South Park Created??
DX

Post by DX »

ihartmacz wrote:isnt Marklar a planet that the creators of South Park Created??
More than likely. There's no Marklar. There's no OS X86 or any of that shit. If you want, just download Darwin and rewrite Aqua and shit yourself.
DX

Post by DX »

BTW... How well will said Rhapsody run on say.. a Duron 1.3GHz.. :D
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Not.

An "Marklar" "Maklar" or whatever does not exist.

Sorry to bust everyone's bubbles.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Any idea why I can't connect to that hotline server (Yes, I am using a hotline client).

I'd really like to use Rhapsody.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Try harder like we did.

I'm the Admin on a hotline server and sadly people don't read anything they just go looking for files and complain when they can't get it easy...which usually results in the owner banning them cause he can't be bothered to waste his time with folks who can't read.

But in reply to your question, I have no idea what server you are going to...there are thousands of Hotline servers each run by different people, so who knows.

Post by Guest »

1) MacOSX 90% written in C++
2) PPC emulation is real and exist but not released yet because the authors was privetly paid from Apple to delay the release (exactly until there is the release of the new OS which will be specilly for it only to let emulators 1 step behind the real Macs)
3) Don't trus what Apple say every time (for example, the first 64Bit server/workstation processor is Opteron from AMD since last March it can run starting from 1 processor up to 8 processors at the same motherboard :D :D :D )
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Anonymous wrote:1) MacOSX 90% written in C++
2) PPC emulation is real and exist but not released yet because the authors was privetly paid from Apple to delay the release (exactly until there is the release of the new OS which will be specilly for it only to let emulators 1 step behind the real Macs)
3) Don't trus what Apple say every time (for example, the first 64Bit server/workstation processor is Opteron from AMD since last March it can run starting from 1 processor up to 8 processors at the same motherboard :D :D :D )
1) You're a fucking moron. MacOS X is mostly written in Assembler - ranging from Aqua (it would run like old people screw if it were all done in C++), to Cocoa, to everything else. That's the way it is with OSes...it's just too slow if it's mostly written in C++.
2) I'll bet you think the governement is watching you with satellites, listening to your conversations.
3) Hasn't that already been said like 2 million times already?

gg man, gg.

Post by Guest »

The fucking moron who is working at Apple to spread there shit around the internet and make himself a shield for there colored plastic
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Anonymous wrote:The fucking moron who is working at Apple to spread there shit around the internet and make himself a shield for there colored plastic
:roll:
robotIntestines

Post by robotIntestines »

Quake II is apparently available for Rhapsody. (though it is probably just the PPC version)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

robotIntestines wrote:Quake II is apparently available for Rhapsody. (though it is probably just the PPC version)
Quake and Quake II have been compiled to run on almost every OS going nowadays. There is even a version that runs on something called SkyOS. If it's been ported to Rhapsody then it is most likely also on the x86 version, I'd guess.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

If it's not assembler optimized but rather in Objective C or otherwise, it can be run on any make of Rhapsody.
NewPika

How to boot

Post by NewPika »

does anyone know to boot the rhapsody installation?
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Insert CD. THat usually helps.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Two Boot Floppies are required. The CD is not bootable and is in UFS format I believe.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

Here we are with all of this no X86 stuff.

LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.

>neospy
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

That was over 2 years ago though. There was absolutely no sign of a PPC emulator or an X86 version of OSX.
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

There was never any sign of an x86 version of OS X at all until just this year, but it's been rumoured since OS X came out...fuelled by the fact that NeXT and Rhapsody both ran on x86.

Apple's too cautious a company to not keep doors like that open, even just a crack, for the future.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

Apple's had OS X running on X86 since 10.0. It was very secret though....