A Macintosh Emulation Compatibility Sheet

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Do you want icons in the next version of this sheet?

Yes, indeed I do.
92%
No, I like it the way it is.
No votes
Maybe, but I would have to think about it.
8%

Total votes: 12
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: A Macintosh Emulation Compatibility Sheet

Post by Cat_7 »

Do System 7.5.3 to Mac OS 8.1 count?

Best,
Cat_7
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Cat_7 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Are there any cases at all in which SheepShaver with an Old World ROM has managed to run a specific application that it couldn't run with a New World ROM?
Do System 7.5.3 to Mac OS 8.1 count?
Not really, unless perhaps there are programs that will run under those that are expressly incompatible with Mac OS 9.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... I wonder if this data could be merged with that over at archive.vg? Their Mac screenshots need a revisit (need to be replaced with box art and/or icons), but the compatibility info would fit well with the game descriptions. It's done by a few of the guys over at macscene.net (formerly emuscene.net, which pulled heavily off of emulation.net which I used to run), and I'm sure they'd have no problems pooling resources with folks here (including providing access to update the data).

I'd guess it would need a new tab next to Game Information (although it could also go right under that).

I'm in the middle of going through my old archives, so if anyone needs some game or configuration tested, please let me know. I've got Mini vMac, BII and SS set up in numerous configurations, for every major system from 0.95 through 9.0.4 (latest point releases for each OS version with various system ROMs) so I can probably quickly find a working combination. My host is OS X 10.8.4, so the results might be slightly different than via Windows. I do have a couple of Windows BII builds running via WINE though.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That sounds like a great idea. Everything on the wiki has a creative commons license, so they are allowed to borrow liberally. I'm a member at archive.vg. Nice site. If yourself, or an editor at archive.vg wants permissions to edit the database, I'm sure katae would be happy to have some help. He's also a forum member, so I can nudge him into stopping by this topic to provide comment.

And I didn't realize that you ran emulation.net. That was an absolutely wonderful site. Nice work!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Please nudge; I have to admit that I haven't been too involved over the last 5 or so years :)

--and most of the nice work at emulation.net was from John Stiles, who ran it before I did.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I approve of this. It's been a long time since I even touched on it, as many events in the real world have prevented me from updating it frequently. For the most part, a lot of these programs were no less compatible than before. However, there have been patches for Sheepshaver to take note of (most notably, getting Ferazel's Wand, Slithereens, and EV Nova in a working state).
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

I have years of experience of how well Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override work under Basilisk II. I think that might mean the 142 version. Because my first experiences are from 2007 (or is it 2006?) and I've used Basilisk II even this year to play Escape Velocity... and Escape Velocity Override.

Now: I would like to tell how well Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override work under Basilisk II.

My processor: Intel Core i5 (I think it's really called Core)
My amount of memory: 8 GB
My graphics card: Geforce 640 GT
My operating system: Windows 8

As you see, my computer has a powerful processor and other parts. That's because I wanted to buy a computer with one of the most powerful parts sold. I bought it January 2013, which means computers with slow processors and weak graphics cards simply weren't avaible from where I bought my computer. I'm sometimes wanting to have Windows 7 though, because it has a real Start Button (you can add one to Windows 8 with Classic Shell).

*Build: Win32 / Build 142, Version 0.8
*System: Mac OS 7.6.1
*RAM: 128 MB
*Processor: 68040 (w/ FPU)
*ROMS Used: LC/Quadra/Performa(“Performa ROM”) 630(1MB), Quadra 650(1 MB), Quadra 700/900 (1MB)
*Additional Stuff: Quicktime 4.0.3 (Latest version for 68K Macs

My Basilisk configuration: version is build 142. Modification date of BasiliskII.exe is 22.7.2001.

Mac OS: System 7.5.5
Memory given to Mac OS: 64 MB
Processor: 68040, FPU on
ROM used: Quadra 650 (1 MB)

Also: a post kataetheweirdo did in this thread says: - Added Eve Pearce's results

I would really like my results for Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override to be added to the wiki article. I think nobody else on this forum has played Escape Velocity for years under Basilisk II. I've also played Escape Velocity Override a lot under Basilisk II, longer than I can remember. For years, I think. This one: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/compatibility_sheet

Anyway, here are the actual results of playing Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override for years under Basilisk II.

Works perfectly under Windows Vista for Escape Velocity. Do not remember Escape Velocity Override. But I don't remember having any problems, ever, so Escape Velocity Override may have worked perfectly.

The results are different for Windows 8. My thread Old version of Basilisk II 142, graphical corruption has a long writing of how there are problems with the old 2001 version of Basilisk II under Windows 8. However, the August 2008 version of 142 worked perfectly from the beginning. Relevant parts:

My computer is: HP Pavilion p6-2375eo (this part I modified a bit from the thread to make it more clear).

"Amongst others, there is graphics corruption or whatever you call in Escape Velocity: Override.[...]

If you drag the map around with the mouse, you see a few systems on the edge of the map. Plus some visual problems. I can do a screenshot of what I have experienced if you want. Write a post to me telling you want a screenshot then.[...]

One of my Escape Velocity plug-ins does not launch correctly, you see the splash screen as black. Usually the splash screen is in color."[...]

I could only fix this by putting in BasiliskII_prefs a new line called jit false. After this, it worked.

There are still some problems, which I don't know if they are caused by the old version of the 142 build of Basilisk II. They also may be caused by Escape Velocity itself. Though, I've never had any problems with a real Mac... except once when Escape Velocity Override crashed. Or perhaps Windows 8 is just too new for the 2001 version of Basilisk II, even with jit false in BasiliskII_prefs? Who knows. Here they are:

I once launched a copy of Escape Velocity with a plug-in I created installed. The plug-in gives you a new ship. The game had a pilot loaded with my ship being the ship from my plug-in. After I quitted, I got a bomb box. Or whatever you call those dialog boxes in Mac OS 7.5. The bomb box said Sorry, a system error occured. And then told me error 10. I think that means error type 10.

There are also other cases when quitting Escape Velocity causes problems, but too many have happened for me to even remember them. Some of them involve inability to get back to the desktop after quitting.

Regardless, problems after quitting are so rare they have happened only in rare cases. Constant crashes after quitting happen only when you have created a plug-in that is not created in the way you are supposed to create them. I don't remember any crashes after quitting EVER happening on a real Mac.

If you have the Galaxys Edge plug-in for Escape Velocity Override installed, clicking Set Prefs causes a bomb box to appear. The one that says Sorry, a system error occured. However, I think this is caused by the plug-in. Which means it's not caused by Escape Velocity Override being incompatible with Basilisk II.

Actual gameplay works perfectly. So do all the other buttons in the main menu.

In one case, opening a pilot caused Escape Velocity to delete it. The pilot existed, and no longer was on the list of pilots after I pressed Open pilot. This bug is so rare, however, that I never saw it again. I don't know if this is caused by a bug in Escape Velocity itself; I think it is caused by Escape Velocity itself.

Could the results be added to the wiki article? It would be important to mention my Basilisk II is from 22.7.2001. There could be a link to my forum post in the Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override part of the article. Because a shortened version would not tell everything.

I've also used: ResEdit, a version of Norton Utilities that works on Basilisk II, BBEdit Lite, Word 5, ACE!, and PFE 3. Also: StuffIt Deluxe (old version avaible for free from Macintosh Garden), and StuffIt Expander. There are probably programs I don't even remember. I don't have as much to say on these, they either work perfectly or in the case of Norton Utilities, have a application (Norton Disk Doctor) that has a problem if I use it. ResEdit also had problems under Windows 8, but the problems are now gone. I could also write about how well other applications work, but wanted to write about only Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override in this post.