Quick tip to solve unexplained crashes and A/ROSE errors

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MagikGimp
Student Driver

Quick tip to solve unexplained crashes and A/ROSE errors

Post by MagikGimp »

Installing Mac OS (any version) I would personally say is more complicated than installing a version of Windows. This is because Windows installs in, what some would call, a bloat-ware fashion i.e. it installs everything even though you may not use half of it (yes there are options but they tend to be for applications, not system files). The obvious drawbacks to this is that you waste hard-drive space and installation takes longer (not really an issue any more with better computers) but you don't come across anything confusing that can halt even a reasonably proficient user in their tracks. Mac OS (the Classic versions anyway, I have no idea about OS X) is different; Macs have always more expensive computers and definitely used to be more professional machines back in the day; this means that so are their installations.

If you read the guides to install Mac OS on this site they recommend installing the Universal system files (effectively bloating) and I've certainly found this is essential as the standard install will not work. This is a good tip as neither Basilisk II or SheepShaver emulate specific machines.
From this I've also got into the habit of installing everything else on an installation CD "just to be sure". Again, this is bloating the system with stuff that I have little understanding of or use for but I enjoy seeing all the jigsaw puzzle pieces appear at boot-up and OS 8.1 and below boot at lightning speed on my machine anyway. However, one thing I've learnt most definitely NOT to install are the drivers for A/ROSE. As you'll read from that link it was a pretty useless thing anyway but currently for whatever reason there is no support for it with any emulator yet. System 7 on Basilisk II will give you a specific error message (Mac not host OS) and SheepShaver will just crash with no explanation so leave it alone!

If you installed it by mistake and really don't want to go through that whole installation process again, don't fear as you only simply need to launch from the install CD, start the installer but this time select Custom Remove where you can find the offending component and get rid of it. I'm sorry I can't remember where about it resides but I think it's under the Mobility group of files (that would make sense too going on what A/ROSE is).

OK, I hope this was useful to some; feel free to constructively criticise this thread or ask further questions about it,
John.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That's a good tip. Interestingly, the A/ROSE thing also crashes SoftMac. It's a cross-emulator concern!