Hackintosh == Mac Emulator?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

McIntosh
Tinkerer

Hackintosh == Mac Emulator?

Post by McIntosh »

Hi,

I wanted to know the difference between a Hackintosh and an Emulator. I have a Dell Mini 10v, which is totally compatible with mac os x 10.5.x through 10.6.x. I want to know if hackintoshing is legal.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Whether turning a machine into an hackintosh is legal or not might depend on where you live ;-)
Some say that when you buy Mac OSX legally, you can do with it what you want, others say the eula is legally binding, and thus prohibits you from installing Mac OSX on non-apple branded machines. Legal system are different over the world and might allow one thing over here and prohibit another over there (and the other way around... )

best look up on this on www.insanelymac.com

Best,
Cat_7
McIntosh
Tinkerer

emulator is illegal too?

Post by McIntosh »

I recall some of that in the mac os 8.1 eula. It might even be illegal to use an emulator! But for now, what the heck.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

If you live outside the U.S., you wouldn't have to contend with potential DMCA violations regarding "anti-circumvention".
McIntosh
Tinkerer

hackintosh?

Post by McIntosh »

lucky. i live in georgia.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Even so though, I don't think the "Apple Police" will break down your door. I've seen footage of a Hackintosh brought into an Apple Store, and the only thing that happened was the store manager saying "We don't support a hack". In other words, you should be OK.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

8O Dang! I use downloaded 68k mac roms(not powermac, I have my own 7100). I thought that if I used a rom that is any thing other than a Mac SE+, then I would be screwed! I'm no longer guilty. :o A hackintosh at an apple store! Wow, I thought that if you did that, Steve Jobs will jump through the window and shoot you!
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

Actually, I've read up on this. EULAs are not usually held up in courts in the US (I say usually, your mileage may vary). It is technically not legal, but it is not illegal to make a hackintosh. Basically, all this means is that Apple won't support you if you have trouble with your OS X installation or whatnot. The worst they could do is fine you, and will a multi-billion dollar company fine someone for wanting to use their OS on non-Mac hardware? I think not.

Thank you HowStuffWorks.com for telling me that I can feel safe about my hackintosh in Virtualbox!
McIntosh
Tinkerer

reply(I'm always too lazy to write one)

Post by McIntosh »

In vBOX? Wow, I tried that with the chameleon loader. I have a Dell Mini 10v(which is in fact compatible with OS 10.6), and I might not need chameleon. I discovered that vmware emulates the exact hardware on the host computer, so I could try with that. When I tried hackintoshing with chameleon, it said something about unsupported AMD accelerated hardware. The Dell mini has an Atom, so I might want to stay away from hackintoshing in a vm.
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

Well, the distro I used had everything preset. Since I had the retail version, I saw no harm in using an ISO from an external source. Can't give any hints or links, since it's possible for it to be downloaded illegally as well.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Can't give any hints or links, since it's possible for it to be downloaded illegally as well.
Better ban Google then. :roll:
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

Ya, I suppose I was a little ridiculous. I guess I could say that it's the Hazard OSX86 version that I used. It installs a bootloader automatically (through the customized part of the installation, of course), so it's easier than a lot.