Rhapsody

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

JonesE

Post by JonesE »

got it, prat :)
sardaukar_siet
Space Cadet

Post by sardaukar_siet »

It's amazing how the OS "scene" was so alive in the first-half of the 90s. :)

You had DEC, Novell, Be, Apple, M$ (ok, ok), and little guys too (like the OS9 guys, the kernel that fueled the defunct CD-i)... it's amazing how M$'s supremacy killed the inovation and plain "swashbuckling" motivation of the industry back then. It's really sad! And people still ask "why use a dead platform?". I say "because the whole concept behind this cajigger ROCKS!" :lol:
neozeed
Apple Corer

Re:

Post by neozeed »

robotintestines wrote:Ok, the install floppy seems to work, but the following happens:

When I am prompted for the driver floppy, I insert it. It then asks me to choose between five different SCSI drivers for my CD-ROM drive. (This is odd because my CD-ROM drive is IDE)

I choose a random SCSI driver (because it makes me).

At this point, a screen appears that states:
panic: kmem_suballoc 1system panic

kmem_suballoc 1

(type 'r' to reboot or type 'm' for monitor)
Typing 'r' or 'm' does nothing.

Any ideas?
Now that we've found a good chunk of the Darwin 0.x source code, including the kernel, It's an error in how the memory map is initialized in these older setups. Oddly enough there is no issue in Darwin 0.1 or Darwin 0.3 .. .But until you can get to the point of building the source yourself, you will need to limit the amount of RAM available at boot time.

maxmem=32768

Just type this in at the bootloader, and it'll restrict the kernel to 32MB of RAM, and assuming you have a small enough disk (2GB or under...), and the correct SCSI or EIDE adapter you can then proceed.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.