In my ideal world, pirates would be executed

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

phirkel
Apple Corer

In my ideal world, pirates would be executed

Post by phirkel »

That's right. I would like to see every pirate executed. Please, Clockwise, kill any threads that have people asking for pirate software. I don't like it when people rip off software, because that's stealing. Stealing is wrong. SO, FOLKS, STOP IT!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Re: In my ideal world, pirates would be executed

Post by Mac Emu »

phirkel wrote:I would like to see every pirate executed.
But this is a skinning site. :twisted:
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Yes, but there tend to be many people asking for warez here.

Hey, smoking goose has something to say to all pirates:
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Skinning. e.g. Skinned alive, not just executed.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Ohh...my bad. Let's skin every one of them alive.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

The only time I get stuff that is copyrighted is when it's abandonware and it's a dying breed. I collect them and keep them safe.

But I'm not out ripping off every software maker in the world cause I don't have the guts or desire to buy software. Don't be a Leech. Buy your 1's and 0's!
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Yes, thank you.

Response of a typical Slashbot follows.

Post by Guest »

Under current U.S. laws, pirating software is not 'theft,' but 'copyright infringement.' Theft implies that something is taken out of someone else's possession. Therefore, I'm not stealing, but merely infringing copyright and don't feel as bad about pirating software, music, and movies.

Anyway, Slashbots should be shot on sight. I believe in paying (if the author so desires) for GOOD quality software. That or use the shareware/demo version forever :P

Interesting. You really should turn off the img tag. I was really tempted to use it to plaster http://www.goatse.cx/hello.jpg all over the place. Luckily for you, I do have SOME self control.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Riiight.

Well, actually, in the rest of the world it's theft, and it is punishable under the same terms as theft.

And, let me let you know, I hate slashdot, and you're a fucking moron for pirating and posting here...I could just get Clockwise send your IP and DHS over to the kind folks at IEEE, where they'll send your information over to the appropriate company...there has been a rash of chargings because of this stuff before, and shit like you needs to be cleaned off the internet.

Post by Guest »

Maybe I wasn't clear. The first part of my post was the "Response of a typical Slashbot," as indicated in the "Post subject" line. After that, I said that Slashbots should be shot and I pay for good software. I have no idea how you came to your conclusion about me.

Anyway, even though I hate Slashbots, technically they are correct. The currently accepted legal definition of theft does not encompass software piracy. This is no excuse to pirate software, though. It's funny how riled up they get when you say that software piracy == stealing.

But, would it not be justifiable to pirate software in order to feed your starving children?

P.S. Before the website change, I was banned from the forums for spamming (or something). Please ban me again. I hate myself and I hate you.

Post by Guest »

Hey. I was just wondering (and I'm not implying anything here :D ), but why do you have the DSM-IV and Merck Index in your wish list along with a bunch of movies and cds?
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Mostly because of some hobbies (in the case of the Merck Index), and my wife is a psychologist, so she put the DSM-IV on there...

That's what's left over from a christmas list too, methinks...why are you researching me anyways?

There is no excuse for piracy...none. It is theft, under the Canadian Criminal COde, and I am SURE it is theft under the US Criminal Code as well...I'll double check to be sure.
Stonehand.

Post by Stonehand. »

I agree. Kill the infidels.
Rip out their spleens!
Skin them alive!
Keep my Game prices low!

Every time a pirate says "Yarr!" or "Avast!" Game prices go up, and that makes me a sad panda. Then again, if I could afford to buy thousands of games, I wouldn't have discovered all the cool old shareware games like DOTT or Doom that I used to play with The Daddy back when I was a little sproglet. 'Corse, they used to cost money 'back then'. Actually, I had better check wether they ARE free/shareware or just pirated LOTS... 8O

I actually have those two on floppys from the old days, so I should be fine... Phew!

Too bad the floppys are long dead...
Well, There goes my moral high-ground.

-Stoney.
all.

Post by all. »

Yet another reason Pirates should be executed:
http://www.msu.edu/~couilla3/ninja/ninj ... cript4.htm
Illegal Concepts

n/a

Post by Illegal Concepts »

Well, I did pirate software, iF IT IS GOOD, and a new version comes out, I usually get it, I've Bought Norton antivirus 2003 and Internet securities, I could have downloaded it off a FTP, but I was impressed by my Norton 5.0 that I bought a real version. :D Same way with Partition Magic, and a old game called Starcraft.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

It is still inexcusable.

Post by Guest »

Just to quote the twat who thinks he is the piracy police:

"...I could just get Clockwise send your IP and DHS over to the kind folks at IEEE, where they'll send your information over to the appropriate company...there has been a rash of chargings because of this stuff before, and shit like you needs to be cleaned off the internet."

I'd just like to say - WHAT A WANKER!

Post by Guest »

But it would be quite funny when you get fined.
jocose
Space Cadet

Post by jocose »

Uh
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Why is this a sticky? Surely the subject is pretty dead and buried now...
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Obviously, you have not had to deal with the great burden of weilding the ban-stick. Only one who has held the ban-stick can know how heavy a burden it really is.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

All hail he who weilds the ban-stick! Praise be to he who weilds the ban-stick, for lo, it is a burden that only he who weilds the ban-stick can bear...etc. :)
brannoch
Tinkerer

Hypothetical situation...

Post by brannoch »

On topic, here's a hypothetical situation:

Say I want to run Mac OS in an emulator. I buy a copy of Mac OS, the appropriate version. There, I am a legitimate licensee. (For the moment lets ignore that Apple doesn't consider emulation a legitimate use of its OSes.)

When it comes time to install the OS I find it to be extremely difficult - maybe the emulator doesn't support swapping CDs well, maybe formatting the drive image is difficult without a running OS. Whatever.

Then I see a preinstalled image somewhere that has the exact same version of Mac OS that I have already legitimately licensed. The only difference is that this is preinstalled onto a disk image file.

So would you consider it worthy of skinning to download that image just to save time/effort? I have already paid the money to Apple...
Termina
Space Cadet

Post by Termina »

Do you really expect most people running x86 to have a copy of OSX laying around? Or willing to buy it without trying it first on their x86 hardware?

I certainly hope not.

Perhaps some people want to see what the Mac OS is like before switching, and this is the only way they can do it for free (unless you'd like to have them be turned off by using some POS school mac?)
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

The main issue here is that pirating software can't be condoned in the forum, so posts should avoid mention of it...

The guy who started this thread seems to be a bit obsessive and a little arrogant, but in general most people just recommend that visitors don't discuss where they get their software from.