Milo mathematics software and conversion from old floppy

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

swamp2
Space Cadet

Milo mathematics software and conversion from old floppy

Post by swamp2 »

Hi folks. 1st post. Great forum. I've just spent a very entertaining night playing some great old Mac games thanks to Mini vMac. Tetris, Dark Castle, Zork, Fool's Errand, etc. I'm enjoying a rush of college memories and it is great. A couple of questions:

1. If I can locate my Mac Plus and a particular floppy disk with a program of interest, how can I get that program converted to a disk image and saved on my Macbook for use with Mini vMac?
2. Same question but what if I only have the program on an ancient Macintosh SCSI hard disk?
3. Anyone heard of the symbolic math program called Milo from Paracomp Inc.? This is what I would really like to get my hands on. It's subtitle is "The Math Processor for the Macintosh". I suppose even as old as this software is it is still protected and thus I should not make a request for a disk image here?

Thanks much.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
if you happen to have a WinDOS box with a SCSI host adapter and running Basilisk build 142, you might consider connecting your external SCSI drive to that one.
The 800k disks may be troublesome.
There are devices for low level reading them with PCs, but I would rather try to find a Mac with both disk drive and ethernet to upload your material to mediafire or else.
With a PPC 7500 or something like that, you might create a disk image of your ancient volume with DiskCopy6.3.
What kind of computers do you own, except for your Mac Plus and the Macbook?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

swamp2
Space Cadet

Post by swamp2 »

Thanks for the tips. I have a PC that runs DOS but will check if it has a serial port. It is a dedicated PC to my MAME cabinet so I don't want to use it for much other than that. I actually got the old Mac Plus out and it boots fine. Not sure the HD is working but will mess around with it as time permits. I also found my working copy of Milo. I had moved it along from Mac to Mac and OS to OS and was able to use it nicely with SheepShaver and Mini vMac. For SheepShaver thanks to Cat_7 for some useful posts here clarifying how to get going with OS 7.5.3!

If anyone wants a copy of Milo just let me know.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Please take care with your DB25 connectors!
I once killed a SMD fuse by tinkering with the ports of my Amiga. DB25 serial ports are absolutely different from the Mac´s DB25 SCSI port.
Old Macs had a 8bit parallel "Small Computer System Interface" bus for external devices.
SCSI ports were not very common with Windows boxes. Usually you got dedicated ISA or PCI adapter card for Windows, on board SCSI host adapters were quite rare.

If your old harddisk is in acceptable working condition, I can create a disk image from it, if you wish.
Best wishes!
slomacuser
Space Cadet

Re: Milo mathematics software and conversion from old floppy

Post by slomacuser »

Hello! I would like to get the Milo disk image, if possible? Thanks!
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

I want a copy as well .
Ron Avitzur
Space Cadet

Post by Ron Avitzur »

Just found this old post. If anyone is still looking for Milo, let me know. I think I have a copy somewhere. (I wrote it.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hi Ron!

It appears the Macintosh Garden still doesn't have a copy of Milo stored; if you're willing, that would be a great place to put it. Archive.org would be a great secondary location; both let you upload files once you register.

That's assuming you're OK for wide distribution. If you'd prefer to limit it to individuals who ask... well, if anyone wants it, they can ask you here :)
werdna
Student Driver

Post by werdna »

I've also been looking for a copy of Milo; I haven't been able to find one uploaded anywhere.
:lol:
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

You might just contact Ron Avitzur, above. As a "new user" he can't get private messages here, but he does have a web presence: http://www.nucalc.com/ron/

werdnaforever wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:07 pm I've also been looking for a copy of Milo; I haven't been able to find one uploaded anywhere.