Good icons for Mac OS 9?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

uselessness wrote:kikkoman: Wow, that screenshot is really nice. Not just the icons, but the other UI enhancements. Do you know how the three OS X style close/minimize/maximize buttons were achieved, and if they function similarly to their Aqua counterparts?

I'm also interested in the translucent contextual menu. I didn't know that kind of effect was achievable in OS 9. What's powering that? The custom Apple menu is pretty too. 8)

I'm not so crazy about the dock, personally. Any idea what that "Firefox" actually is? Just a renamed/reiconed Netscape or something of that ilk? I don't suppose there are any browsers still maintained for PPC that are compliant with modern standards...?

Whoops, this thread got pretty off-topic. Sorry about that, I don't know how strict the mods are around here! :wink:
It's a custom Kaleidoscope theme (essentially a plug-in for a 3rd party utility that was used to customize the overall look of the Classic Mac OS). It is also a theme that was never released to the public as the author once told me, it was his modification of the SmoothStripes Kaleidoscope theme with the Minium icons from designer Rad-E8.

1) The buttons work just like you'd expect them to. From left to right, it's "close", maximize toggle, and WindowShade (rolls the window up so that all you see is just the window's title bar).

2) Translucent menus were one of the selling points of the old Kaleidoscope utility.

3) I kind of agree with you about the dock... but it at least looks better than plastic pinstripes, imho.

4) The browser... likely either a renamed iCab or Classilla with the Firefox icon applied/pasted.

5) The admins here are pretty cool. ;)
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

uselessness wrote:Any idea what that "Firefox" actually is? Just a renamed/reiconed Netscape or something of that ilk? I don't suppose there are any browsers still maintained for PPC that are compliant with modern standards...?
There is, of course, Classilla:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

See my posts on how to apply my icons.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:But... I have administrator (sysop) access to an old bbs server, still running in MacOS 8.6 on an old G3, that has some 70,000 software downloads (dating from 1990 up to about 2005) including, I am sure, icon collections. I do not have time to look into that now, but I will search that server for icon collection downloads.
So here they are!

More than 50MB of old Mac icons and desktop patterns dating from between 1993 and 1997. I have not checked all files, but it must be many thousands. Everything is archived together in one single (binhexed) stuffit archive created with Stuffit 6. Inside are the original stuffit archives of individual collections that, I suppose, were created with older Stuffit versions.

For non-Mac host users: Make sure you decompress the file on a HFS volume.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/emaculat ... es.sit.hqx
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thank you very much Ronald!
I was very fond of Icons back then, but never had that much.

Could you eventually post some kind of inventory of that BBS server if it isn´t too much hassle?
There are certainly some more interesting items except icons.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

24bit wrote:Thank you very much Ronald!
I was very fond of Icons back then, but never had that much.

Could you eventually post some kind of inventory of that BBS server if it isn´t too much hassle?
There are certainly some more interesting items except icons.
It is not easy, if at all possible. The bbs used to be technically advanced when we started in 1990, but it is ancient now. The server runs specific bbs software (TeleFinder) and the file indexes are in a proprietary format (Index Reader) that cannot be exported to any 'normal' database. Index Reader can only find files by typing the first couple of letters of the file name, so one needs to know the name. The files are organized by date not by kind because that is how Index Reader works. In retrospect that was not a good idea. Index Reader works with TeleFinder/User (the client software) and both run in System 7 through 9 (including 'Classic' in MacOSX). TF/User can search for more strings in the file name and in the comments that are embedded in the Stuffit archives. However, a single search in the download area with 70.000 files may take days. I could find the icon files by browsing the server in TeleFinder because I know my way around there.

One needs to be a registered member to have access, but we stopped registering new members several years ago when it became clear that the bbs had no future and there was no way to port the bbs and its files to new OSX compatible server software. There are only a handful of old members left, mostly because they do not want to loose the email address they have been using for years. The server is now running in MacOS 8.6 on a B/W G3, crashing frequently (it will crash in MacOS 9 immediately). When the G3 dies, that will be the end. We are preparing to move the domain to a 'normal' mail server so the few remaining members can at least keep their email address.
mtq
Space Cadet

Re: custom Kaleidoscope theme icons

Post by mtq »

At this late date, is that custom Kaleidoscope theme (i.e. the modification of the SmoothStripes Kaleidoscope theme with the Minium icons from designer Rad-E8), or extracted icons from it, by chance now available to the public in any form?

- mtq
kikkoman wrote: It's a custom Kaleidoscope theme (essentially a plug-in for a 3rd party utility that was used to customize the overall look of the Classic Mac OS). It is also a theme that was never released to the public as the author once told me, it was his modification of the SmoothStripes Kaleidoscope theme with the Minium icons from designer Rad-E8.

1) The buttons work just like you'd expect them to. From left to right, it's "close", maximize toggle, and WindowShade (rolls the window up so that all you see is just the window's title bar).

2) Translucent menus were one of the selling points of the old Kaleidoscope utility.

3) I kind of agree with you about the dock... but it at least looks better than plastic pinstripes, imho.

4) The browser... likely either a renamed iCab or Classilla with the Firefox icon applied/pasted.

5) The admins here are pretty cool. ;)
uselessness wrote:
uselessness wrote:kikkoman: Wow, that screenshot is really nice. Not just the icons, but the other UI enhancements. Do you know how the three OS X style close/minimize/maximize buttons were achieved, and if they function similarly to their Aqua counterparts?

I'm also interested in the translucent contextual menu. I didn't know that kind of effect was achievable in OS 9. What's powering that? The custom Apple menu is pretty too. 8)

I'm not so crazy about the dock, personally. Any idea what that "Firefox" actually is? Just a renamed/reiconed Netscape or something of that ilk? I don't suppose there are any browsers still maintained for PPC that are compliant with modern standards...?

Whoops, this thread got pretty off-topic. Sorry about that, I don't know how strict the mods are around here! :wink:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Good icons for Mac OS 9?

You can find Kaleidoscope itself and links to Kaleidoscope themes ('schemes' they call them there) on the Macintosh Garden site.

And didn't 'kikkoman' link to the custom icons earlier in this topic?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

I got a icon that was for Mac OS X to work on Mac OS 9.

1. Make a new folder.
2. Open the icon in Preview.
3. cmd-c the image (NOT THE FILE)
4. Do get info on the folder
5. On the top left corner, click the image, and cmd-v on it.
6. Transfer the folder to Mac OS using Disk images or the Unix folder.
7. On Mac OS, Do Get Info on the folder.
8. Click on the small icon (NOT THE FILE)
9. cmd-c the icon
10. Do get info on any other file and cmd-v on the icon.

Enjoy your icons! :)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: corrected ctrl-v to cmd-v
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

julialy wrote:I got a icon that was for Mac OS X to work on Mac OS 9.

1. Make a new folder.
9. cmd-c the icon

fixed
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

MetalSnake wrote:
julialy wrote:I got a icon that was for Mac OS X to work on Mac OS 9.

1. Make a new folder.
9. cmd-c the icon

fixed
Thanks.
(I forgot about cmd :/)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MetalSnake wrote:Thanks.
(I forgot about cmd :/)
Well you wrote now ctrl-v instead of cmd-v. I took the liberty of using my moderator privileges to edit your post again. :)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: