Emulators that don't require a mass of...stuff

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

asdf
Space Cadet

Emulators that don't require a mass of...stuff

Post by asdf »

Okay, I see a whole host of emulators on this site, but almost all of them require a few spare items, such as a mac OS CD (sheepshaver's guide makes frequent references to mac OS installation disks, but doesn't mention if we are talking the desired OS you want, or the one specified for your laptop if you're running OSX.)

A large amount of prior knowledge or programs are also necessary, such as toast ($80) to make a .toast file, or to make a .iso file. No guide is provided for how to make one.

There is a small workaround, in the form of "if you have none of the above, make this file your boot disk." Again, no guide on how to do such a thing.

I think that what is needed are better guide videos. Perhaps a mounted camera at the screen during booting up or the early mac OS instructional bits, and using camstudio or some other recording program for the other steps. As it is, I've gotten about halfway through before I just threw my hands up and said "fuck it, I'll just buy a classic mac for $20."
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

Apple gives you Mac OS 7.5 for free, works in SheepShaver, Basilisk, and Mini vMac. Plus some boot disks like Disk Tools.

You still need a ROM though, acquired from a Mac or on the internet, legally or not.
asdf
Space Cadet

Post by asdf »

Oh! That's excellent. I was unaware that apple gave out OS7.5 for free. That's awesome.

How does one acquire a ROM from a mac?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just a short note on images:
If you are on OSX use the included DiskUtility to make NDIF img files.
If you are using OS9 or earlier there is DiskCopy.
On windy systems use the free ImgBurn.
On GNU-Linux there is KDEBurn and a lot more.
Quite some image files can be used for emulators ISO, IMG, Toast, just to name the most common.

If you are looking for anything regarding Mac OS Classic, please dont miss to take a close look at Macintoshgarden.
Edit:
If you are on Intel OSX and really want to be spoon feeded, Google for COI or Chubby Bunny.
It is something like SheepShaver out of the box, but it wont be easily configured for a change.
More adviseable would be learning by doing, but if you only want to play a game, COI might be the one.
Last edited by 24bit on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Emulators that don't require a mass of...stuff

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

asdf wrote:Okay, I see a whole host of emulators on this site, but almost all of them require a few spare items, such as a mac OS CD (sheepshaver's guide makes frequent references to mac OS installation disks, but doesn't mention if we are talking the desired OS you want, or the one specified for your laptop if you're running OSX.)
The SheepShaver for MacOSX setup guide mentions specifically the MacOS versions you can use (7.5.3 through 9.0.4). It also hints about how one can find a retail MacOS 9.0.4 install disk image and how one can find a compatible ROM file. Find them, download them, put them in your SheepShaver folder, and simply follow the instructions step-by-step. You can hardly go wrong.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

If you encounter a specific problem, or can't get past a specific step during setup, just ask.
asdf
Space Cadet

Post by asdf »

[quote="24bit"]Just a short note on images:
If you are on OSX use the included DiskUtility to make NDIF img files.
If you are using OS9 or earlier there is DiskCopy.
On windy systems use the free ImgBurn.
On GNU-Linux there is KDEBurn and a lot more.
Quite some image files can be used for emulators ISO, IMG, Toast, just to name the most common.

If you are looking for anything regarding Mac OS Classic, please dont miss to take a close look at Macintoshgarden.
Edit:
If you are on Intel OSX and really want to be spoon feeded, Google for COI or Chubby Bunny.
It is something like SheepShaver out of the box, but it wont be easily configured for a change.
More adviseable would be learning by doing, but if you only want to play a game, COI might be the one.[/quote]

I'm using an intel OSX, should have clarified, sorry. I used disk utility to sometimes make disk images of my old starcraft CD's that I have floating around before they added digital download. I'll take a look at Chubby Bunny/COI. Thanks for your help!