another split sit archive

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sparkleshy
Space Cadet

another split sit archive

Post by sparkleshy »

identical to this question: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=7254

But Stuffit 5.5 in my emulator (Basilisk II, System 7.5.5, running in Windows 7) says that it needs DropStuff with Expander Enhancer to join them. I have DropStuff with Expander Enhancer, but it doesn't detect it.

How can I make this work?

If it's any use, here's one of the three files I'm trying to join: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LXY8WXC0 (the split files are inside the zip)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: another split sit archive

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The "Expander Enhancer" (the Stuffit Engine extension) that is installed with DropStuff expands the Stuffit Expander feature set. With that extension installed, Stuffit Expander should be able to join and expand the files. Is the installed DropStuff (and thus the Stuffit Engine extension) the same version as the Expander?

For some reason it does not work here also for your files with Expander 5.5 in 7.5.5 in BasiliskII.

It does work with Expander 6.0.1 in MacOS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver.

Maybe the files were created with a Stuffit 6 version? Stuffit archives are usually not backward compatible.

I also noticed that the files you link to do not have the usual Mac attributes, they have no resource fork and no type/creator data. Could the files have lost the attributes? Have they been saved on a non-Mac file system? Were they zipped with a utility that does not preserve Mac attributes? Maybe missing the Mac attributes is a problem for Stuffit 5.5.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just wanted to add, that the Stuffit7 Expander in OS8.6/SheepShaver will do the job too.
Should someone here re-upload the joined toast file for convenience?
Quite some interesting stuff on that disk, including PCMacLan for Windows95 - hard to find these days.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

I was so elated with my recent success with The UnArchiver that I thought I'd take a look at this too.

Each of the file parts has a 100-byte header stuck on the front. I have no idea if Stuffit made it; it looks vaguely like MacBinary, but the MacBinary converter couldn't do anything with it.

There's probably a more elegant way of chucking the header, but I just opened each file with XVI32, a hex editor, and selected and deleted the first 100 bytes. The first file should thus begin with the word "StuffIt", but there's no convenient equivalent in the other two files.

To re-join the files, there is again probably some elegant program out there for the purpose, but you can just use the Windows command line. Go to the folder where the files (with header removed) are saved and type
copy /b macaddict017.sit [file1]+[file2]+[file3]

After that, I was able to successfully extract the files inside the archive using the Windows version of The Unarchiver, and the .toast file had the correct .md5 checksum. Stuffit Expander 5 for the Macintosh should probably be able to do it too.
sparkleshy
Space Cadet

Post by sparkleshy »

Jorpho wrote:...
Hurrah! Thanks, this works perfectly.

Well, not quite: unar said `Failed! (Wrong checksum)` but the toast mounts and I can read stuff perfectly anyway

Oh and the syntax is `copy /b [file1]+[file2]+[file3] macaddict017.sit` but that was easy enough to figure out :)
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Yay!

I filed an issue on The Unarchiver Google Code page suggesting that support for multipart .sit files should be added in the future.
sparkleshy wrote:Oh and the syntax is `copy /b [file1]+[file2]+[file3] macaddict017.sit` but that was easy enough to figure out :)
Oops. :oops:
Well, not quite: unar said `Failed! (Wrong checksum)` but the toast mounts and I can read stuff perfectly anyway
I'd be concerned about running into problems with stuff beyond the first third of the image. To be clear, the size of the files with headers removed should be exactly 100 bytes smaller than the original files – so if they're not, you should try again.
sparkleshy
Space Cadet

Post by sparkleshy »

Jorpho wrote:I'd be concerned about running into problems with stuff beyond the first third of the image. To be clear, the size of the files with headers removed should be exactly 100 bytes smaller than the original files – so if they're not, you should try again.
Ah, turns out you're right. But it all works now =)