Universal 7.5.5 boot disk

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CoplAUXX
Student Driver

Universal 7.5.5 boot disk

Post by CoplAUXX »

Well, I remember the need to use a minimal System 7.0 boot disk for Mini vMac, Worm, Basilisk II, and SoftMac, but to use Disk Tools 8.5 as the boot disk for SheepShaver (or MacOnLinux?) with an Old World ROM file. Then I thought of a System 7.5.5 boot disk which would work to use on all emulators, so there's no confusion between which boot disk you must use.

I managed to create a small "Disk Tools 7.5.5" disk with the minimal System 7.5.5, ObjectSupportLib extension (which is only needed for "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi" and Disk Copy 6.3.3 to load the disk image driver), Disk First Aid 7.5.5, Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5, and Drive Setup 1.0.5, but since the minimal System 7.5.5 with ObjectSupportLib is 4.5MB, the three "Disk Tools" I decided to include are another 354KB, and a 5MB HFS volume's capacity is hundreds of kilobytes less than the size of the HFS volume (which was solved with HFS+ in 1998 but System 7.5.5 does not support HFS+), the disk must be at least 5260KB and therefore "Disk Tools 7.5.5" will not fit on a floppy disk or conventional-size (eg. 1.4MB) disk image. However, I have not uploaded it anywhere yet :wink: .
Last edited by CoplAUXX on Sat May 26, 2012 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Universal 7.5.5 boot disk

Post by adespoton »

By "All Emulators" I presume you mean Mini vMac (Mac Plus and Mac II variants), Basilisk II (IIcx and Quadra variants) and SheepShaver (OS 8 ROM)?

It would be interesting getting it to boot in PearPC, QEmuPPC and MacOnLinux -- but at least PearPC would need significant changes for that to work.