Finder: Close parent folder by default?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Liberty Courier
Student Driver

Finder: Close parent folder by default?

Post by Liberty Courier »

Is there a way to make the option key + open folder for opening a folder and closing its parent action the default method of opening folders? I'm used to how OSX handles it and was wondering if there is either a setting or a preference option I've overlooked.

Perhaps there is an obvious answer to this question, but I'm drawing blanks right now. And yes, I have been searching for a solution before posting here, but maybe I've missed it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Finder: Close parent folder by default?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose you refer to the behavior of the MacOS Finder.

There is nothing in MacOS itself that can change this behavior and I know of no third party addition that could.

(The MacOS Finder was originally designed as a virtual environment, by some now referred to as the "spatial" Finder, where objects stayed where you put them and where every folder had its own unique window. In contrast, the OSX Finder was designed from the ground up as a file-browser. A Finder window in OSX is a file browser window, not "the" window of a specific folder as in MacOS.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Finder: Close parent folder by default?

Post by adespoton »

Bumping an old thread, but I presume others will be wondering similar things. The answer is to use Greg's Browser. It complements the Finder with multiple file browser windows that behave like OS X ones -- and it also comes with Stuffit integration (you can browse inside Stuffit archives) and Finder integration on multiple levels. I used it throughout the OS 9 era, even before I ever touched the OS X file browser. It was originally written to bring NeXT File Browser features to the Mac OS -- then Apple went and did it again with OS X.

www.kaleidoscope.net/greg/browser.html

-- You can OSXify your OS 9 a lot with the other stuff Greg makes available too, namely Kaleidoscope and Power Windows. Use a Kaleidoscope theme that looks like Aqua if you like.