Emulating Myst (1993)

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

killmoms
Space Cadet

Emulating Myst (1993)

Post by killmoms »

So, I’ve followed every guide I can find, as best I can, and I’m still having no luck. My current issues can be summed up as:

Basilisk II + Performa ROM + System 7.5.5 + whatever version of QuickTime was in System 7.5.5: Error t107, no drawing of menus, but the opening logos (QT movies) play. Can’t quit the app due to aforementioned error t107. Tried multiple installs of System 7.5.5, different processor selection in Basilisk, updating QuickTime, NOT updating QuickTime; no dice, always the same error.

SheepShaver + New World ROM extracted from ROM Update 1.0 + OS 9.0.4 + QuickTime 4.0.3 (or QuickTime 4.1): blank white expanses for all attempted graphics or movie drawing.

Same config, but + QuickTime 5.0.5: pictures load, can click through the Myst world, but no movies play (no opening movies or animations in-world). Additionally, opening QuickTime Player yields a “low memory” error (can’t play the welcome movie) despite the fact that SheepShaver has 512MB of RAM allocated in preferences and nothing else is open.

Not really sure where to go from here. I keep reading of people playing Myst just fine on SheepShaver in OS 9 or on Basilisk in System 7.5.3, 7.5.5 or 7.6, but I have yet to get it to work anywhere. Anyone have any tips or a foolproof method for me?

My system: a mid 2010 iMac with a Core i7 quad core chip, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 5750M, running Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks (GM).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Emulating Myst (1993)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Not sure what the problem is in your case, but be aware that, as noted in the setup guide, QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest QT version that is fully compatible with SheepShaver.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Googling turns up several reports of T107 but no definitive answers. http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18186 looks kind of useful, though.

Have you perhaps tried enabling 68040 emulation in Basilisk II? Just a wild guess.

Of course, if you just want to play the game, gog.com has the "Masterpiece edition" (not to be confused with realMyst) for cheap.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

Myst functions perfectly now in Qemu with Sound for Catalina and Mac OS 9-the t107 or something error does not appear!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Have you tried it in ScummVM yet? I've found it better than via OS emulator for the Masterpiece edition.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

No did not try it in ScummVM, I haven't downloaded that version yet. Usually I buy all games as original. So maybe someday I buy the Masterpiece edition for Windows, who knows. Right now I have ordered Real Myst via Ebay:-) Let's see if that works on my Mac mini 2006.

Cheers to all Myst fans out there!