mpw for OS X !?!

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

mpw for OS X !?!

Post by adespoton »

RE: http://blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/po ... apps-in-os
(cross-posted from http://macscene.net/component/kunena/75 ... rt=20#4024)

This also means that any old Mac developers who still have their source code could theoretically cross-compile for OS X now! (Escape Velocity, Mr. Burch?)
Last edited by adespoton on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: mpw for OS X !?!

Post by adespoton »

Oh yes, and gryphel, have you looked at this project? It seems to me that you and he are sitting on opposite ends of the same problem. It'd be neat to see Mini vMac compiling on mpw, for instance :)
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

adespoton wrote:Oh yes, and gryphel, have you looked at this project?
It looks interesting. I've added mpw to my Mini vMac Alternatives page.

Naturally, I personally prefer running MPW tools in MPW in Mini vMac, since I'm more familiar with MPW than the OS X command line. A main reason Mini vMac exists is so that I could continue to run MPW.

But, as I express on my alternatives page, more choices are good.
adespoton wrote:It'd be neat to see Mini vMac compiling on mpw, for instance :)
If mpw is sufficiently complete, I would expect it could be used for compiling Mini vMac for 68000, just as can currently be done in MPW.
adespoton wrote:This also means that any old Mac developers who still have their source code could theoretically cross-compile for OS X now!
It means that they could theoretically cross-compile a 680x0 application from OS X. Compiling for OS X, as always, would requiring porting to Carbon. The Carbon API is very similar to the classic Mac, so the same source code can be used for both, after making various fixes.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

So does this still require the official mpw from Apple, or a ROM, or anything else?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sorry, I noticed the link to the article was broken; you had to go to the macscene post to find it. Fixed now.
mpw is an m68k binary translator/emulator whose sole purpose is to try and emulate enough of Classic Mac OS to run MPW’s own tools directly on OS X.
The page also links to the MPW tool download. No ROM needed though.

Documentation available at https://github.com/ksherlock/mpw/blob/m ... EADME.text

[edit] You'll also need OS X 10.8+ and XCode, of course.