Trying to open old .mov

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Varum
Student Driver

Trying to open old .mov

Post by Varum »

Hi,
this is the big and frightening question ;-)
They were made with discontinued BTV software http://www.bensoftware.com/btv/
I managed to open (convert) 3 of them with QT Player 10.4 ; all the others (66 files, 50Go !) can't be opened.
I tried with QT 7.6 Pro without success.
I tried to re-install on my 10.11 OS as many tools I could get from Internet (Perian, VLC, MPEG Streamclip, NicePlayer ...) with no more success.
I tried a PearPC Panther Wineskin Machine. I bet the default Quicktime 6.4 would be able to read them ? No more success.
I want to try again with Perian. It need Mac OS 10.4.6
I am trying to install it from a copy of my PearPC Panther Wineskin Machine which work well.
I copied a Tiger DVD install Iso inside the wineskin C folder and edit the pearpc.cfg as this :
pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_image = "C:\PearPC\Tiger.iso"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"

After selecting the cd at boot it show me a nice Apple on a gray background then
I really can't analyse this screen and what it is written and what does it mean...

Aargh ! If I can't install Tiger I won't be able to test Perian.
This is my last change.
Any help would be welcome.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Trying to open old .mov

Post by 24bit »

Could you upload the mov files in question (some of them) or are they classified in some sense?

Cant tell what a SCSI Multimedia Commands Device is, but OSX does not seem to like it.
10.4 is running in QEMU on a OSX host pretty good, albeit without sound.
You might also try 10.4 (or 10.5) in VMWare, I have a Leopard appliance still running occasionally.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I had a fully licensed copy of BTV Edit. It generally saved video as a DV stream, not as a Quicktime MOV by default for me.

Can you open up one of your movies with a hex editor and paste in the first screen of data? Once we know what format the movie is in, and what container the format is stored in, that'll go a long way to figuring out how to open it.

[edit] Have you tried opening it in VLC?
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

Hi,

@24bit QEMU is great ! It's work well also a little bit slow. I am really fascinated by all those emulators ...
Unfortunately neither with the default QT7 neither with Perian add-on i was able to open any .mov ... :sad:

Here is a really small .mov, an old one, maybe a few frame. It behave like all others : http://dl.free.fr/hpVotIYiq

@adespoton

What I copy paste does not seem the same characters, so i had a screen capture from the Hex window below.
ὺ{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½w¾½ÒÿéÐôN8¹³‚@Tþ-pRx{ßw¿-p5²w¿{¿)/1pwŸ{¿1p%
búw¿ w½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{ÞóœUUWEw½ï{«êª¡w½wÝs½wÝw½w¼sÝs½w¾wß{¿o}so}k<J4s½ÒwÿÿúPw½{Þw¾w¾s›sœsw¾ZšoofÜIõVXVXNw½{ßw¾w¿{ßcg;o\fºRV7^yNR6V7V7sžÎ4þ¤Po^Íôþ”^™Éõ9PV6ÉóÃצ%V6ÉӇKVURÉӿٕ…NÅÓ»•ÅµMôÁÒÙTKIóÁҔ`©îMóÅÒSv×RÉÓI‡WV4ÉÒRFZ^MôÅÒë(éàMóűà赨IôÁ°•”ŽRÁ°•æN½°*YÕÒA±½=ÙúEÒ¹ÖÖeôEÒ½\i9¦{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½w¾ÊWôôôôV›ÆõõõäRy©O“¤¥¥w¾ï}›»ÙwÝ÷½#€w½ãÿÿÿâwÞ{Þw½w½w¾w½w½w½w¿w¿sŸsžs~o\búNvw¾w¾w¼{Ýw¾w½w½wœ{Ÿwo_gbúZ¸Z¹J5{½{½w¾wÞw¼w¼w¾s½fÜjþgbûR7VYR—J5sßsßs¿sß[g|_;_;F4NvR·Ju9òBB3FUc>FWsoNx)pNxR™9Ò1JVV™5Ò-oFZÛfüÊâA€^WÍôõÖj(ZVÉóæ⒅^xÍôY]]R5Éô°´tPZ6ÉÓÛ¦µdR5ÅóŸEQPRÉÓgD„õR6ÅÓ%J[FNÅÒZ›ëÆNÅÒé嚉RÁ±õ…C‹MôÅÓUTrÝJÅÒ·\5EMôÅÒòÊ£,Z5Íò^V4Ñò«~×^VÍò¥ä  RÍÒnie¨RÅÒ[~„IòÅÒuu®XMóÁ°õÄEnM󽐈nEóÁÈ„ÞVIó½±l¬j!{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Ý÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½w½ÚÖÿÿþüs¾ÊWôôôaV™½õõäôäBµ³ô䥀k¹³ÿUo_Z»os>N7FZx^™IÕR7V7V7EÔA³MÕRk^Ê6’Vÿ^š^›^ÜZºjÝfÜkfýc=k_bþR›oŸcB5´V8Á³î‡QN6½ÑyT)\B2R•-ŽB3R–g;1°>VØc;%,F4R·c;)nJvRv­o‘ÐÑáRVÅÒõ%­VWÅÓumiTNÉô†Àú¤VWÅóFCS@NÅҚš›ÆNW½²¹UGGJJ=ñBVvN4BJTc;B35¯V—Ju>BV—NUZ¹N5N5=Ò=ÑfûNU1%,VÙ9ñ1%,B4)nJ5½Ò¢˜¨²NÁÒWethNÁ²«¦•„NÅÓVeuANÁ²ÛªŠT^¸ÁÑPY,E±RR4VUIÒZUZvfú9ÐZØRuk<-m^ùJ4ZØNZURVUMóMòZUMòBBNR4g1ŽA°J^VÍÒ_ž¢”^VÍÒDfMV5ÉÒ£QÅENÁ±W^ËNÁ±y¹y°Ió¹o»ššJ±-§ÚéPAÒ­.ûî”AÒ­.¿é@ª{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½ w½wÝ÷½#€s@w¾Þ¸ÿÿúä{¿{¿füAÓ{ŸbùZ™RVjÛ^xZv^—b™fº^—=¯RXZyVx^ºVyZyVxfÜZWjºbywMôj»b™jÛ^»Z›EõAÔVzFAÓJZv=o=ZWb¸1,9OZWZ7Á²U»ÿNÁ³F«ïZWÁ³B÷æZ»ÊúZQRXÉôU|5eV7ÉôURƒR5ÉóUXmîVxÅÓó¢UYRUÅҋ™àR7ÅÓކJÅÓvîîÍR6ÁÒ8(-V5ÁÒ´àáURÅÓ£òæ‘N4ÁÑF•ÕR–¹Ð_\XB­mIW¢éNUµ:Z8AÑFJEÒEóAÒEóEòNEÑIòVuVUEÑVUo;Ió¹{ž^N½ÒV›VvÁ°PgZøJTB35Ïc;-ŽN•5ÏR¶1®R¶-B29ðB21Ž9Ñ^ùBB=ñZØ)L1ŽF3ZØ)K9ÐBJT-mBg]9Ñ1¯>Zú-Ž)n5ÐN•)l%L1¯FT%L)m-ŽRvµoªfe°NµªYIó±O»•PõB±O¦ªþ=ô±pPAÿ©Aó©-/?Aô±oVÿªAô­NONE@=ô±mÿ™{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½w¾ó½µÅaPw¾ÅôÿùäAbºÊÓjYbw½øøéêf™É³:*ZYwQô9oIÒw^VIóEÒVWR6NNZwR5NNV7ÅÓZ
MR5ÁÓv´t”R6Áô¶¥ZIV¸ÅÓD}N5RVN5RVZ˜N5N5Z—NuR–B3R·5¯ZØ=òJTN4N4JVwN4N4RUAÒJvR˜JU-R¸V¹B)NbÙÊ%}}hN5½±>)&¦RVÉóppaAR5Áѧ–¥¤N½²ž/.JÅÓUvLNÅÓz8!IóÁÒôìu%Iô½Òêl(DR•½ðfsšZ×¹¯T˜¸l>R•FS%KV¶1®--BS5Ï)l%k5ð5ï%K)ŒFVFVN·_;5ÒVÚJ–>35ÑV¸9Ñ)MJU=ò!
%+F©MŽYONVµf¯B2±n§kþR¶­ÑƇB9ð¥K§F‡—N–©nÁÑфFTg\1®>1ÐRØ1Ï1¯)LB9ðFS1ŽB2Jt>B4F4JUJu1°=òV¸R·)K1JTc:-l5®5¯FTJT­m €°9°±núUé9Žµm¢Dh¾J±M@_AеmE–ë5n99Ž9Ž95n9Ž9ŽJ=®9=Ï^×Eñ9Ž=¯9®µnU»ÿ{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½{Þ÷½wÝ÷½#{Þ÷¼# w½w¾s{ÝwÜ{ßw¾{ÝwÜ{¿w¾k=g=wžk\R˜J5o~Æø‘VWÎHˆ·ûVxÎkGAV7Íõíܨ¤N6Ê+˜R5ÉóÉLi˜N5ÅóDE–ÀZxÉôAE]]JSÁñFJnlF3sžVÙ9ñJtg;Ju-nR–ZØ>)mV·R–>-Ž%NNxJu1¯)oB6R·5Ð5
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

OK: that has no wrapper, so it's not a Quicktime movie. It looks a lot like a DV stream, with blocks of video and a FFT every so often. I don't recognize the frame format though, so I'm not sure exactly what content is inside the DV stream.

Maybe something like ffmpeg could tell more?

[edit] I tend to use MPEG StreamClip for working with video like this; it handles a lot of older Quicktime-related compression formats that Quicktime X and later don't handle. Quicktime 7 might handle with the right plugin, but you'll need a 32-bit OS to work with it most likely.

Best bet is probably 10.6 under VirtualBox with Perian installed, using Quicktime 7. I think BTV Pro actually has a version that will run under Rosetta on 10.6, so that's another option.
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

Hi adespoton

I know a little bit about ffmpeg (resize, remap audio...), but the doc is quite intimidating. Do you have any command to suggest ?

MPEG StreamClip is unable to open 99% of my mov... Here is one it opened :
Flux : BTV Movie 7-8 1211-35.mov
Durée : 0:00:04
Taille des données : 14.65 Mo
Débit : 27.96 Mbps
Pistes vidéo :
Component Video, 320 × 240, ~23.596 fps, 27.95 Mbps
Pistes audio :
Fichiers du flux :
BTV Movie 7-8 1211-35.mov (14.65 MB)

HEX DATA
...wideêoømdat ....[a lot of DOT (00Hex) until char 4082] then
....îîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîíîññïõß"dò@S÷ZWöVVöXW÷RZøjcûM
‹ýÑòÿîiö(QøNOøMOúQKüQ
iþADûIBýCEúF=ûCMùbfø=?ø:(öáìÌ
ôïìñöïMö,FùG
HöK JûIH÷LGúC
KúLCøC Cø@ ;ü?=ü=
8ûCBû>@ü@>û= >û=:ú: <ü:<ü<=þB;ÿJY^ M:Aû?<ü: 2ý5 :ý67ý89ü8
6ý68ü37þ97þ6Myƒv‚~
vŠ… m~vy~{v| {n ÿU<þîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîíîñðÁõp"MòUX÷WYöXVöRI÷ožø\‹ûÆ
ïýðóÿåmö0KøOQøNPúGQün
þ/IûJ>ýBDúE<ûHTùi`ø9>ø?3öLÕìÙ
ðïìùöÔ3ö6IùJ
IöG HûIJ÷HEúA
GúKDøC Bø> <ü=?üA
:ûCAû>@ü@>ûA Aû>:ú9 =ü<>ü?dþa6ÿu€t B7Aû@=ü< 6ý8 :ý77ý99ü8
6ý68ü98þ75þ>kˆ|…w~
„… ‚vxs€vt| |Z RÿH7þîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîî
And one that MPEG StreamClip can't open :
ä÷òæøôèøôèùõêøõëùöìøõìøöí÷ôíøôîöôï÷ôðöòðöóðöòðöóôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôøöúìêï][_205ZX=`_DcaFa`EjdHqlP`Z>_Z>aX=f]Bd[@aX=H@1d]N¹ªš£”ƒ†|fA7 A?&LJ1GO5GN4OH5SL9@B2&)twjùýðõóêÅúTU9RS7dj0}ƒImr=AFÏÎÉóóíõòùòðöôõïôõïôôðôõñôôðôõñôôðôõñôôðôõñôôòôôóóóñóóòôôôôôôòòòïïïññòøøúñòóòôõñ÷öóùù÷üõõùòùøÿìëóúøÿöôÿùøÿíìôòóôöøù÷ïÿîæöèäõÝÙêæÔãÛÉÙ˲ҧŽ®§’—ŸŠª‹‘‰jq¢yuǟ›„ecƒdc·™–µ˜””|”|秊…º˜ŒÝ¼¯ÿÙÊå¾°¾“€ïű»œ—ªŒ†Â˜‚ôʵØ{¹Žq®Õ·¸Ì¥”©ƒrɨÓ±—¢‹†­–Ò´Óµ¤‘x›‡nµ’€õÒÀÜ®”»Žs¾™tຕæ˸Ͳ ‹st¨¶€ŠcUžyfŠfR£Šƒ}e]’~ˆtuɤ’¿š‰Æ—ƒµ‡s{m·–‡‘s–„y“n\¥€o¥…pĤzoaƒxj—‚|Ÿ‹„•uk’rgå÷óåøóèùõèøôëùöêøõìøöìøõíøôí÷ôï÷ôîöôðöóðöòðöóðöòôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôô

Could we deduce something ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the hell happens to my .mov ?
Are they corrupted ? How would it be possible ? All of them (more than a hundred !)

I didn't use them in any way. After the BTV timelapse I used to visualize them without any problem.
Now, they may have been copied from disk to disk, maybe from/to a PC ...
There is no more "Ressource fork" that are ripped of, if copied to a PC ?

I am so frustrated :???:
(As soon as i get my 10.6 virtualbox I post the result)

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If the original files had a resource fork, and if that resource fork contained essential information, and if those files were indeed copied on a non-Mac file system without protective archiving or encoding, then the files will probably damaged beyond repair.
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:If the original files had a resource fork ...
Unfortunately, I know that. I lost many computer generated movie from the time of the mac IIcx (nostalgia !)
I was wondering if those ressource fork were still in use in those modern OS the X series ?
I thought it was specific to the "ResEdit period" ...
Maybe i should ask BTV engineer ? As I am pretty sure I copied those movie to a PC, they would be lost forever :sad:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The Universal BTV app is still available via web.archive.org. http://web.archive.org/web/201207230549 ... nload.html
Maybe there is a way to import your files? The 15day trial is running in Sierra on my side, but won't help much, I´m afraid.

Edit: Not that simple it seems.
Trying to open your TLapse sample, BTV Pro says: errOpeningMovie, Error code: 20.-2048 No movie found.
Next would be creating a new file and compare it to what you have got to hopefully fix it.
Rosetta with the carbonized 5.4.1 app might be best to try.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The movie that worked was Apple Component Video, which is old, but usable with the right Quicktime plugin.

The others appear like I said before... possibly a DV stream, but there's no header information and the frame references aren't ones I'm familiar with. The extra info, unfortunately, was likely in the resource fork.

If I get a chance this week, I'll try analysing the sample video with a few different tools and see if there's some way to recreate the frames from the existing information.
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

@24bit thanks for the link ! I will try the compare method ...
[Edit]As expected, unable to open any files ; always the same error code ....[Edit]

@ adespoton whaoo it sounds incredibly technical ! Hope you will be successful, thanks.
[Edit] A long, long time ago I meet someone who used to debug program reading only Hex Code ; that was awesome :lol: [/Edit]
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to tease anything out of that sample video :(

Do you know the specifics of how it was saved in the first place, other than that it used BTV to do so?
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

I am playing around with BTV downloaded from archive.org

1 - Now, I am pretty sure I bought a Pro licence as BTV does not allow TimeLapse (only 1 fps).
2 - I recorded few videos without time lapse, and probably made some tests before buying a Pro licence.
This is why I own few "BTV Movie x-y zzzz-vv.mov" and much more "TLapse Movie x-y zzzz-vv.mov".
Those name are default from the 2 programs.

BTV Movie 7-8 1211-35.mov http://dl.free.fr/g6DeYGDtJ (10Mo)
Opened by BTV Pro
Opened by QT > Converted

The funny thing :
2 others files can be opened and converted. They are only one JPEG frame.
file 1 : http://dl.free.fr/j3UYYU38c
fiel 2 : http://dl.free.fr/cTetRYurm

For larger file BTV Pro through me an error code 20, -2048 No movie found.
Would it be possible I made a terrible mistake choosing JPEG for my timelapse and now no "movie" can be found ?

Here is a 40 Mo .mov that I can't open that contain maybe JPEG ? http://dl.free.fr/uvm9tcusS (25Mo zipped)
Does the HEX info can show what kind of image they are ?

Last comment about BTV Pro :
The Video Compression Setting is very interesting.
I can't remember all those codecs except Cinepak and Component Video. Did I used them ?
As I am not a video professional I bet I used the codec that was "recommended" by article on the web...

I know I ask a lot, but if you get the time to have a look I would be more than happy.
I feel we are near the sad conclusion that the movies are lost forever.

I can't avoid thinking about my Grand Father that was able to show me his first car on a B&W photo that survive through 2 World Wars !
With our SUPER POWERED technology I lost hours of work in less than a decade ... :roll:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The movie you were able to recover was compressed with component video. The others are not. I never used Cinepak (or Sorenson) enough to recognize the byte stream; it's possible the others are encoded with Cinepak, and the index was stored in the resource fork.

However, I hadn't even thought about the possibility that they may be compressed with motion jpeg.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I would not give up too soon, though I don´t know about video compression options.
The carbonised BTV Pro 4.5.1 has an abundance of options.
A sample file made from a picture folder in Rosetta using JPEG 2000 compression starts like this:

Such info seems to be missing with your TLapseMovie2-70205-08.mov - though I cant even guess what Kakadu-v4.5 means.

Lets hope someone with a vintage PPC Mac is able to create some sample files with the non carbon 4.5.1 app with various compression settings as templates. It may be worth a shot to copy over the resource forks to your defunct .mov files.
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

Thanks !
Before answering all those interesting post I need some more help :

When I press Ctrl+Alt to release the mouse, I can't go back.
If I clic inside the window the mouse stay frozen. I need to Ctrl+C the Terminal.
is there a work around ?

[EDIT 2] Absolutely out of purpose, but I guess you know a LOT about Mac :
Since a few days, the screen of my good old iMac mid 2011 goto completely black for half a second from time to time. Any Idea ?
Is it the first sign that my iMac will soon go RIP ? [/EDIT]

------------------------------------------------------------------
[EDIT 1] OK : This is not a cumulative update [/EDIT]

So I got my QEMU Tiger 10.4 VM
As Perian request 10.4.7 I downloaded the update from Apple : https://support.apple.com/kb/DL347?locale=fr_FR
(Note this is true with Perian V1.0, I will also try V0.5 I got with WaybackMachine)

The update is not working and I really don't know were to dig ?

Here the QEMU script
#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 1024 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -drive file=MacOS10.4.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Tiger.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -device usb-mouse -g 1600x1200x32 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device usb-net,netdev=mynet0
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Depending on from which 10.4.x version exactly you want to update to 10.4.7, you might need the Combo Updater: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL346?view ... cale=en_GB

Or you update to 10.4.11, which was the final version of Tiger: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL170?view ... cale=en_GB

More here: https://support.apple.com/downloads/mac ... date__ppc_