Rhapsody

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

>>GM

Rhapsody

Post by >>GM »

Answer me something please:
I don't know how it works, so be pacient, I saw something about Rhapsody, Mac OS X, Cube, Pixar, OpenStep and stuff, ok, I believe I can run rhapsody in a 86x, right? It can run what kind of softwares? it can use Mac OS 9 or maybe some Mac OS X applications? I mean, what the objective, what's the point, what it can do, can offer?
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

It was a demo of sorts of what MacOS would be like on a PC. Except it died in the crib, so to speak. There are virtually no applications for it, it won't run any Mac software (because the Processor is different -- PPC code can't be run on an IA32 processor -- and because the OS has a different origin/architecture)
It's dead. And you'll be damned if you can find a copy, since it's still copyrighted. Anyone who downloads a copy is dumb and should be hung for copyright violation.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Not to mention it is a pain in the arse to get even extracted. It has a filename which isn't valid on the Windows filesystems. So I extracted it on my emulated Mac and renamed the file there. It ended up being one of those shrinkwrap images. I kinda stopped there because I couldn't figure out how to extract the data from it. You might be able to find an actual CD of it at a Mac Junk store, but its pretty rare even there. But there are a lot of NeXTStep and OpenStep apps which will run on Rhapsody.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

I have all versions of Rhapsody and they work fine. It's not dead, the work done on Rhapsody was mergd to Mac OS X, and the PC efforts were simply put into Darwin X86.

Rhapsody in itself is a rather interesting beast. It will run POSIX compliant applications and those that can run with the various YellowBox or BlueBox runtime enviroments which works like translators so people can run programs written on other versions of Rhapsody. For example, it would mean if you wrote a program using the intel version of Rhapsody, you could run it on the Mac version.

But it gets complicated and technically messy. The first Production version of Rhapsody was in fact Mac OS X Server 1, which was the version that came out with no Aqua GUI, just a UNIX/Mac OS 8 style GUI.

No, with Rhapsody X86 you cannot run Mac OS 9 and you cannot run other Macintosh applications unless they were built for Rhapsody. There are versions of Doom for Rhapsody as well as a few other applications. But not much unless you want to configure and compile programs rom source code.
phil

Rhaspody for Intel

Post by phil »

Does it run on Pentium 3?

How easy is it t orecompile Linux application to run on it?
Is it fast.

Last but not least where can I buy a copy?

thankx
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Thyth wrote:Not to mention it is a pain in the arse to get even extracted. It has a filename which isn't valid on the Windows filesystems. So I extracted it on my emulated Mac and renamed the file there. It ended up being one of those shrinkwrap images. I kinda stopped there because I couldn't figure out how to extract the data from it. You might be able to find an actual CD of it at a Mac Junk store, but its pretty rare even there. But there are a lot of NeXTStep and OpenStep apps which will run on Rhapsody.
Pirates make baby Jesus cry until they die.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Can't buy it, Apple only sent it to developers.

So don't ask further please.

And it *might* support a pentium 3, it's hardware support on the PC side is not that big.
RobotIntestines

Post by RobotIntestines »

This is incredibly fascinating to me.

I had assumed that Rhapsody Intel was a rumor, or something that only existed deep in the bowels of Apple, not something that was given to developers.

I asked around, and I found a friend who has an original (legit) copy. (He is a mac fanatic)

I was really excited about installing it, until I found out that it supposedly won't run on my AMD processor.

This makes me very, very sad.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

MacOS was running on PC's even before this; do a search on the Star Trek Project from Apple and Novell; they managed to get system 7 running on a 486.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

RobotIntestines wrote:I was really excited about installing it, until I found out that it supposedly won't run on my AMD processor.
Did you actually try to install it?
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Post by robotintestines »

Marc wrote: Did you actually try to install it?
I haven't because I assumed it wouldn't work.

I will try it this weekend. Do you have reason to believe that it may work?

Also, did the Star Trek project ever exist outside of Apple?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I don't see why it would work on an Intel CPU and not an AMD. Rhapsody installs on a 586 CPU, so it should be OK. I'm no programmer though.

As for Star Trek, I would be very surprised if that got outside Apple and Novell. It'd be utterly amazing though.
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Ok, the install floppy seems to work, but the following happens:

When I am prompted for the driver floppy, I insert it. It then asks me to choose between five different SCSI drivers for my CD-ROM drive. (This is odd because my CD-ROM drive is IDE)

I choose a random SCSI driver (because it makes me).

At this point, a screen appears that states:
panic: kmem_suballoc 1system panic

kmem_suballoc 1

(type 'r' to reboot or type 'm' for monitor)
Typing 'r' or 'm' does nothing.

Any ideas?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Get a SCSI CD Drive :wink:
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Use the EIDE/IDE driver that shows up on the SCSI driver selection screen or use the driver for whatever your chipset is (there should be an option for Intel PCISet users, for instance.) Also, what version are you using?
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Hmm.. There doesn't seem to be a an EIDE/IDE driver choice. There are only scsi drivers listed.

Its is DR2.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Use Option 7 to list other device drivers and keep doing it until IDE driver comes up. It IS there
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

My friend has a Rhapsody set. We spent today trying to set it up. This is as far as we got, does anyone have any ideas?

Rhapsody setup screenshot
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Marc wrote:Use Option 7 to list other device drivers and keep doing it until IDE driver comes up. It IS there
Good Lord I feel stupid.

It in fact does CLEARLY STATE that I can type "7" to list IDE drivers.
robotintestines
Tinkerer

It seems that my hardware is just too new for Rhapsody, and according to the 68k Mac Liberation Army forum, AMD processors will not run it at all. I kept getting immediate kernel panics.

I am still in the process of getting Rhapsody installed using Virtual PC for Windows. (It gets much further into the installation now. Hopefully my new set of floppy images will fix it).

At the very least, I was able to install OpenStep.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I do appologise for double posting, but does ANYBODY know what the problem is with this Rhapsody install problem
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

marc, I would need more information about your computer...Motherboard/CPU/Hard Disk/CD type the configuration of your busses, etc.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Sorry.

We are trying to set it up using Virtual PC version 5.2 for Windows. So, the emulated PC uses:

AMIBIOS version 08.00.02
The CPU of the host is an Intel Pentium IV 2.66GHz (which I believe is tranparently used by the VM)
The VM is also emulating an EIDE Bus with a 2Gb disk image set to the primary master and the CD as secondary master.

We chose Standard primary and secondary EIDE Bus as the driver to load from the driver floppy.

Many thanks
JonesE

Sigh..

Post by JonesE »

I want it.. been looking everywhere.. from OS Archive sites to FTP's.. I really don't want to download p2p software / download software to find it.. mostly due to security.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Well, PIRATE ASSHOLE, GO FIND A LEGIT COPY! It's still copyrighted...if you wish to pirate, die!