Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:28 pm 
Forum All-Star

https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/c ... apo_laser/ details how to get a fully functional netatalk server going that can talk to localtalk devices (both printing and filesharing).

I thought some on here might be interested :)

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:09 am 
Apple Corer

Please note that the information on the A2SERVER website is a little outdated. It gives information on A2SERVER 1.2.5 while the package is actually installing 1.5. Most changes are not a big deal (though definitely improvements), but version 1.5 is compatible with Debian 8 (Jessie) (and possibly Ubuntu 15 as well), opposed to what the website says at the moment. This might be important to know when setting up a system yourself in order to install the package on it (especially when you have to compile a kernel with AppleTalk for ARM architecture this is very good news).

adespoton wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/c … apo_laser/ details how to get a fully functional netatalk server going that can talk to localtalk devices (both printing and filesharing).

• At the link you provided iphillips77 describes, next to using it for AppleTalk file sharing, how to share a printer from a modern network via AppleTalk to a legacy Mac by activating PAPD.

• Also using A2SERVER, I've done it the other way around: sharing an AppleTalk printer to a modern network by installing a PAP backend for CUPS at the Linux side. I have done it not using a VM, but hardware (Banana Pi) as I wanted a server running independently and with an HDD attached.

mactjaap did this (without using A2SERVER but setting up netatalk himself) in a minimalistic way, spending $10 for a C.H.I.P. + a few bucks for a USB-Ethernet-dongle.

In all three cases the key thing is having AppleTalk compiled into the kernel or as kernel module. If you work with a VM and do it the way described on the A2SERVER website, A2SERVER will take care of it (it also does when using a Raspberry Pi). In mactjaap's and my case, we had to take care of that ourselves. See his thread on how to compile a kernel for a C.H.I.P. over here.

I begun writing a detailed guide on how to set everything up. Including compilation of a system with kernel AppleTalk (and the VM as build environment needed for that), installing/configuring Samba, CUPS, the PAP backend, etc. I haven't finished the guide yet, but most of it is ready.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 am 
Apple Corer

The guide is ready and I have tested it and did some corrections yesterday while performing everything with a second SD card.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... os_and_osx

If things are unclear or if there should still be an error in it – or if you know a way to do things in an easier way – please let me know. Any improvements are welcome!

At this point many thanks to Ronald P. Regensburg for his support, and to ClockWise for hosting the guide at emaculation.com!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm 
Forum All-Star

Well done! I appreciate the balanced level of writing plus the correct security-conscious suggestions for what to enable/disable and why.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 pm 
Apple Corer

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:55 pm 
Apple Corer

When I set up this system two years ago I couldn't find a way to have the CUPS server handle the PPD properly. Printing always resulted in empty pages.
I have now found someone coming up with a fix for that as he had the exact same problem trying to print to his LaserWriter 16/640 PS. Actually, it's a bug in the printer's PostScript interpreter that requires a workaround on the print server side (force it to use an older PDF to PS converter).

I have updated section 4 of the guide with some corrections and additions (mainly by using footnotes, at least for now).

This fix also enables printing from the iPhone and iPad via AirPrint.

EDIT:
I've filed a bug report on github.com/OpenPrinting, so hopefully I can soon remove the requirement of a manual amendment from my guide: https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/76 .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm 
Forum All-Star

Wow! Thanks! I really need to see if I can get this set up on one of my PPC Minis now that the printing issue has been figured out and AirPrint is supported.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 pm 
Apple Corer

Till Kamppeter was really quick in following up the bug I've filed. It should be fixed by now, but the only system with an AppleTalk kernel I have is my live NAS. Don't want to use that for testing. I'm downloading Ivan's VBox VM image at http://appleii.ivanx.com/a2server/a2ser ... albox.html right now to do the testing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:05 pm 
Forum All-Star

I do most of my testing with a VM using the same virtual network as LocalTalk-enabled builds of Mini vMac. Since my home network is mostly wireless to the human-attached computers, LocalTalk fails when running elsewhere.

That said, I've got my file server running 10.5, and that still has AppleTalk support. But like you, I don't really want to test with that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 pm 
Apple Corer

adespoton wrote:
Wow! Thanks! I really need to see if I can get this set up on one of my PPC Minis now that the printing issue has been figured out and AirPrint is supported.

Actually, the printing issue was specific to certain old PostScript printers of which – to my knowledge – the LaserWriter 4/600 PS and the Personal LaserWriter 320 were the only ones that didn't have any other port but LocalTalk. These should be the only ones that need the combination of AppleTalk and the workaround as described above if a Linux based CUPS server is supposed to do the PostScript rendering – which it needs to do the PPD/driver handling for.

When I wrote the guide I didn't know this issue is specific to just a few printers as I only had my 4/600 PS for testing. This is why I only described how to set it up as raw printer and assign the PPD at the OS X side (which resulted in PostScript rendering being done there too).

For most other printers, if driver and rendering are handled on the CUPS server side, AirPrint should work automatically (at least if the cups server runs on a Debian system).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm 
Apple Corer

mabam wrote:
Till Kamppeter was really quick in following up the bug I've filed. It should be fixed by now, but the only system with an AppleTalk kernel I have is my live NAS. Don't want to use that for testing. I'm downloading Ivan's VBox VM image at http://appleii.ivanx.com/a2server/a2ser ... albox.html right now to do the testing.

Had a lot of trouble testing this. The Debian version on Ivan's image was too old. The version of CUPS it was capable of wasn't compatible with a recent enough pdftops.c to be patched with Till Kamppeter's fix.
So I duplicated the SD card of my AppleTalk NAS and looked for a way to test the patch. Eventually I succeeded by uninstalling the old CUPS-version, holding the system kernel to prevent updates on it (else I would loose AppleTalk in the kernel), installing the most recent Debian Jessie updates for everthing else, downloading the source for CUPS Filters 1.0.61 (which the fix can easily be applied on), patching /filter/pdftops.c with Till Kamppeter's fix from v1.21.6, compiling and installing it. Then I installed CUPS 1.7.5, the latest version my updated Jessie is capable of and reverted the manual amendmends to /etc/cups/printers.conf I had previously done as a quick fix.

And the thing runs and prints without a problem, also from my iPhone …

During all the trial and error I found out that my guide on installing the AppleTalk NAS is quite outdated by now. Also, a new installation of a2server (which has been updated from v1.5 to v1.5.1 in the meantime) would result in a broken netatalk. Not sure whether there was something wrong on my side or with the installation script. I might try to find out though, not sure yet.