A2SERVER - fully functional netatalk

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: A2SERVER - fully functional netatalk

Post by adespoton »

that-ben wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm I finally snapped and went for a SCSI to SD card adapter. It's cute, it's small, no cables, no Mac disassembly. Real floppy drive remains as is, functional. It's like a FloppyEmu, except almost twice cheaper and it's one huge hard drive instead of a bunch of floppy disk images. I almost prefer it this way. If I want to dual boot, I can just use an old 1GB, 1$ SD card (and still have 100% of the 68000 software library on it!). I know, I know, it's not going to have TCP/IP, but that doesn't matter. I'm not going for this on a Plus. I'd do it on a SE/30 tough, but I don't have one. This is my next target. I should have bought one (or ten) when I saw them for sale for 40$ 20 years ago.

Thanks for participating in this discussion.
Did you see the other thread about enabling ARA over a null modem cable? That might be more up your alley for getting the Plus networked; it's how I did it back in the 90s. The SCSI2SD is going to be WAY better for storing/transferring files, but it looks like using the null cable and ARA is a pretty cheap way to get a LocalTalk bridge and networking on the Plus. You could even netboot (not needed with the SD, but still) !
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

adespoton wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm Did you see the other thread about enabling ARA over a null modem cable?
I have not, but I'll probably be interested at some point over the next months, tough I want to reiterate that I am NOT going for the web surfing thing with a Mac Plus. I'm not THAT patient. I'll only go for this with a SE/30 or faster.

BTW, I want to mention that I also now have an old Mac US Robotics 14.4k modem that probably still works. I have the DB-25 to DB-8 cable that goes with it. It's definitely from the time period so I think it could be compatible with the Mac Plus under System 7. I just have no idea how to hook it up to make it work or if it would even be beneficial compared to just splicing a NULL cable together and using that to connect to my iMac G3 or something. The problem is that AppleTalk is NOT compatible with SERIAL to USB adapters, so even if I made a NULL modem cable to hook up to my iMac G3, I think AppleTalk would not work.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

that-ben wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:55 pm
adespoton wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm Did you see the other thread about enabling ARA over a null modem cable?
I have not, but I'll probably be interested at some point over the next months, tough I want to reiterate that I am NOT going for the web surfing thing with a Mac Plus. I'm not THAT patient. I'll only go for this with a SE/30 or faster.

BTW, I want to mention that I also now have an old Mac US Robotics 14.4k modem that probably still works. I have the DB-25 to DB-8 cable that goes with it. It's definitely from the time period so I think it could be compatible with the Mac Plus under System 7. I just have no idea how to hook it up to make it work or if it would even be beneficial compared to just splicing a NULL cable together and using that to connect to my iMac G3 or something. The problem is that AppleTalk is NOT compatible with SERIAL to USB adapters, so even if I made a NULL modem cable to hook up to my iMac G3, I think AppleTalk would not work.
AppleTalk won't work, but Apple Remote Access does; it tunnels AppleTalk over serial. That's the point of the other thread.

As for the modem, if it's the one I think it is, I used to use the exact modem with my Mac Plus, so it'll definitely work. I don't even remember having to play with the dip switches on the back or setting any special AT commands to get it to work -- just fire up ZTerm or Claris Works, or set up MacTCP and one of the SLIP control panels, and it should work.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

adespoton wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:14 pm AppleTalk won't work, but Apple Remote Access does; it tunnels AppleTalk over serial. That's the point of the other thread.
As for the modem, if it's the one I think it is, [...] set up MacTCP and one of the SLIP control panels, and it should work.
Thank you for replying. That is very interesting indeed so yes, I'm definitely interested if you could post the link here, please.

I'm sorry, but I know next to nothing about ISDN modems. I grew up with only 1 Mac that had a modem hooked up to a phone line, but I did not set it up and soon after, we got cable, so it was all Ethernet. If you think this could work, then how exactly can I make use of it if I do not have a land phone line anymore? Is there a way to like hook the 2 Macs through that 14.4k modem? If you have pointers for me or links to instructions on how to set up a network mainly for files sharing (but perhaps TCP/IP sharing/cascading/DHCP if someone knows?) between the Mac Plus hooked to a real modem hooked to a G3.

Mac Plus <--> US Robotics 14.4k modem <--> iMac G3's 56k modem.

Then inside Mac OS 9 on the G3, via some software, I could emulate or share a TCP/IP connection or host a DHCP server for attributing the Plus an IP or something? Sorry for my n00bness! I literally will be installing a 14.4k modem for the first time!

BTW guys I'm making a brand new RTS game for 68000 (512K, Plus, Classic, SE) using THINK Pascal 4. I cannot wait for that SCSI2SD adapter to arrive to try it out on real hardware. Meanwhile, it runs perfectly fine under Mini vMac (with the Mac Plus ROM, not the MacII ROM) https://www.macintoshrepository.org/345 ... -old-macs-
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

that-ben wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:30 pm
adespoton wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:14 pm AppleTalk won't work, but Apple Remote Access does; it tunnels AppleTalk over serial. That's the point of the other thread.
As for the modem, if it's the one I think it is, [...] set up MacTCP and one of the SLIP control panels, and it should work.
Thank you for replying. That is very interesting indeed so yes, I'm definitely interested if you could post the link here, please.

I'm sorry, but I know next to nothing about ISDN modems. I grew up with only 1 Mac that had a modem hooked up to a phone line, but I did not set it up and soon after, we got cable, so it was all Ethernet. If you think this could work, then how exactly can I make use of it if I do not have a land phone line anymore? Is there a way to like hook the 2 Macs through that 14.4k modem? If you have pointers for me or links to instructions on how to set up a network mainly for files sharing (but perhaps TCP/IP sharing/cascading/DHCP if someone knows?) between the Mac Plus hooked to a real modem hooked to a G3.

Mac Plus <--> US Robotics 14.4k modem <--> iMac G3's 56k modem.

Then inside Mac OS 9 on the G3, via some software, I could emulate or share a TCP/IP connection or host a DHCP server for attributing the Plus an IP or something? Sorry for my n00bness! I literally will be installing a 14.4k modem for the first time!

BTW guys I'm making a brand new RTS game for 68000 (512K, Plus, Classic, SE) using THINK Pascal 4. I cannot wait for that SCSI2SD adapter to arrive to try it out on real hardware. Meanwhile, it runs perfectly fine under Mini vMac (with the Mac Plus ROM, not the MacII ROM) https://www.macintoshrepository.org/345 ... -old-macs-
This is where the null modem cable comes in. If you take the TX line on one end of the phone cable and swap it with the RX line, you can directly plug the two modems together, take them off hook, and then dial null from the old machine and set the iMac to share its internet over the modem port (or, just use ZTerm or Claris Works to listen for a call one one side and make the null call on the other). The result is communication :) The next step is to do the same thing using Apple Remote Access, listening on the one computer and "calling" in with the other. In this case, you can create a null modem profile in Open Transport on the newer iMac, and then use that to "call" the older Mac that's running ARA Server, listening on the modem port.

viewtopic.php?t=10962

viewtopic.php?p=68834