Mac-On-Mac tutorial

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Mac-On-Mac tutorial

Post by airat78 »

I want to launch under mom old OS, from classic to jaguar. Is it anybody have some tutorial or have experience running mom in mac?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mac-On-Mac tutorial

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

See wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac-on-Mac and the external links in that article.

I do not think there is more to be found. Since MOM only runs on PPC MacOSX host up to 10.3 (Panther), few people are interested in it nowadays.
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

Virtual machine launched successfully, but mac-on-mac runs only Mac OS 9 to 9.2.2. Anybody knows how to start up OS X there?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've never got it to work. However, the recent progress on qemu could likely be backported to MOM so that it could use some of the newer virtual interfaces that have been created.

That said: I thought the main goal of MOM was to allow booting of a full OS 9 on newer PPC Macs that won't boot OS 9? Since most PPC Macs would be running 10.4, which can't run MOM, or 10.3, the only other useful OS X to load in there is 10.2... which isn't really useful for anything but curiosity's sake these days, as all PPCs can (and have) upgrade to at least 10.3, can't they?
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

MOM lacks ethernet, sound and USB, but fully stable and very speedy. I don,t think that will out user-friendly and fully stable version of QEMU virtual machine for OS X Host ever.
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

Yes! OS X succesfully started from pearpc image, then there started classic environment from mounted OS 9 image. Soon, those who have an interest in this virtual machine, I can share a small manual to work with it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... I wonder if I could get MOM working inside qemu now... :D
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

adespoton wrote:Hmm... I wonder if I could get MOM working inside qemu now... :D
I think it will run hard and unusable, even in G4 1000 it not work so, how it seems, except OS 9 of course.
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

Mac-on-Mac How to

The setting up of MoM is pretty simple, for classic you need to have HFS disk image, if it not exist you can create it with hdiutil in terminal, for example:
hdiutil create -megabytes 500 -fs HFS -volname OS922 ~/OS922
then classic starts to install with Mac os 9 installation CD.

With Mac OS X MoM have one issue, it's not see the installation CD with any Mac OS X, the problem is solved very simply with any preinstalled virtual hard drive with OS X. Preinstalled image file can go from PearPC or QEMU.
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

I found some graphical optimizations for the virtual machine. What is required for this, go to preferences x11, select "thousands" in drop-down menu and restart VM with X11 environment.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks for keeping going on this :) I have to admit I haven't looked at it much myself since 2016.