"There is not enough memory" problem

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

teavana
Space Cadet

"There is not enough memory" problem

Post by teavana »

I tried installing a program (MacDiff 4.2.6, which is used in my field of study), by emulating both OS 8.4 and 9 via SheepShaver and Basilisk, as I am using Windows 10. I pretty much followed the instructions on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3pjSGg1y4&t=1006s to install the OS.

Now, my problem is when I run the MacDiff program, a popup will appear stating "There is not enough memory to open MacDiff 4.2.6 (zero K needed, 490,715 K available). Closing windows or quitting desk accessories can make more memory available." I've extracted the .hqx and the succeeding .sea file, and I ran the installer for MacDiff, leading to the memory problem.

Additional details for MacDiff are here http://www.geologie.uni-frankfurt.de/St ... InfoE.html

Could anyone help me with this issue? Thank you.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: "There is not enough memory" problem

Post by 24bit »

Not sure what went wrong on your side. HQX and SEA may be troublesome on a Windows host.
For me the app runs, as it should - at least Testfile 1 is opened without issues.
Host is macOS Sierra, guest OS is MacOS 8.6, I can try with W10 too, if need should be.

If you wish, I might send/upload a zipped img container of MacDiff_4.2.6_complete.
Its 8,5 MB or so, should be done in an instant.
Such file may be unzipped and added to the SheepShaver volumes GUI easily.
It may be a good idea to add app and docs to Macintoshgarden, together with the 68k build - if the Author won´t mind - that is.
teavana
Space Cadet

Post by teavana »

Sounds like a plan. If it's not too much, could you please upload it? Thank you. :)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

How much memory are you giving to SheepShaver? I think the problem may be that you're giving it too much. Drop the memory down to 128MB or less and you should be fine. Your error indicates that you've probably got it set to 512MB.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Done, lets see how this will work for you.
https://mega.nz/#!ptUl1JgK!KVKu3_1g9poe ... _dmkgBln0w
Hopefully Mega is all right for you.
As said above, unzip and add the img to the SheepShaver Volumes tab.
I´m usually running the emulators with 1024 MB RAM, not that it would be needed.
teavana
Space Cadet

Post by teavana »

Thank you very much, it finally worked! :) It's been driving me nuts for the past week tbh.
TheQ
Space Cadet

Post by TheQ »

I tried to lower the virtual memory to 128mb, but it wouldn't start. The same thing happened when I tried 256mb. It seems to be stuck on 512mb.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi

You are not clear about what your problem actually is. On which host, with which guest, and with which program do you have problems?

Best,
Cat_7