SheepShaver problems

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Falaskan
Space Cadet

SheepShaver problems

Post by Falaskan »

Hello, I am new to SheepShaver, and am not currently having any luck getting it to start. I kind of wish the instructions were written better, it is 2018, but I digress.

Let me explain what I've done so far, and I'll explain how I understand things, and maybe we can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I downloaded SheepShaver from this site. It's currently in my downloads folder with "keycodes," "ReadMeFirst.txt," "Setup Manual," "SheepShaver," and "SheepShaver scripts" including "Delete Prefs File," and "Zap PRAM" (neither sound good). I am on a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

I downloaded the "Mac OS 9.toast" file from Macintosh Garden, locked it under the "Get Info" tab, and downloaded "New World PPC ROM" from redundantrobot and re-nammed it, "Mac OS ROM." I also have a file on my desktop I was going to use as a "shared" file. Not sure if it should be there or not, but this site indicates it doesn't matter where I put that folder.

Anyway, Sheepshaver closes instantly whenever I try to open it. I feel I've followed the steps on this site pretty well regarding how to get this running, but nothing works. Is it just not compatible with High Sierra? Am I doing something wrong? Is this site not up to date? Any help would be appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver problems

Post by Cat_7 »

Make sure the rom file is called Mac OS ROM without an extension.
Copy the SheepShaver program to your desktop, delete the SheepShaver program in your original folder and move the copy you made on the desktop to your original folder.

Then try again.

Best,
Cat_7
Falaskan
Space Cadet

Post by Falaskan »

Cat_7 wrote:Make sure the rom file is called Mac OS ROM without an extension.
Copy the SheepShaver program to your desktop, delete the SheepShaver program in your original folder and move the copy you made on the desktop to your original folder.

Then try again.

Best,
Cat_7
That didn't end up working. Are the "toast" and "ROM" files supposed to be somewhere specific?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The "Mac OS ROM" rom file must be in the same folder as the SheepShaver application itself. The .toast disk image file can be anywhere, but having all related files in the same folder with the SheepShaver application is easier.

- Did you make sure the rom file is renamed exactly Mac OS ROM, without a file name extension? You can check in Finder Info panel for the file whether its name has an extension.

- Did you follow the instructions about copying the SheepShaver application to the desktop, deleting the original application, and moving the copy back to the SheepShaver folder in place of the original?