Switch to full style
About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 through MacOS 9.0.4.
Post a reply

Network Help

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello all, I'm trying to get online using SheepShaver. I have "slirp" entered in the prefs, and have entered these in the TCIP/IP control panel:

IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name-server address: 10.0.2.3

However, it still won't work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Network Help

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:57 pm

If you're using SLiRP, TCP/IP should be using DHCP.

If you want to assign a manual address for some reason, you can use the values you provided, but I'd change the Name-Server address to 1.1.1.1.

Is your problem that you can't resolve domains, or that you can't access IP addresses?

If you use those settings and point a web browser at 216.58.204.46, do you get the Google search page?

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Internet is working on my side with Classila.
SheepShaver 2.5, slirp, MacOS 8.6 on macOS Mojave.

TCP/IP is set to "Ethernet" and "DHCP Server" in the two pulldown menus in the upper part of the control panel. Usually you don´t need to specify a fixed IP or anything, but you may do that of course.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone. Whenever I open up IE it just says "Security failure. The server reply is invalid" If I'm using DHCP, what should I enter in the "DHCP Client ID"?.

Thank you,
CamSox

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:07 am

Ah; don't use IE; it's crashy (it was on real hardware too). Use Classilla.

But even then, you'll possibly get the same error: that error is due to the fact that the web site IE is attempting to access uses an encryption token IE doesn't recognize. I don't think Classilla does either.

This is because modern web servers use a version of TLS encryption that didn't exist back then. You'll have no issues connecting to http sites that don't auto-redirect you to https sites.

As for DHCP, you leave the client ID blank. All you should need to do is select "Use DHCP" and the rest is automatic.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:25 am

It works! Thank you so much
Post a reply