Need help - mouse and trackpad fail to scroll

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rganschow
Student Driver

Need help - mouse and trackpad fail to scroll

Post by rganschow »

I'm using SheepShaver v2.5 in classic setup on 2018 MacBook Air with macOS Mojave v10.14.3. I cannot scroll with either the mouse wheel or the touchpad. Otherwise mouse and touchpad work fine. Any help in solving this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Need help - mouse and trackpad fail to scroll

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Scrolling with mouse or trackpad does indeed not work in versions 2.5. You are the first one who noticed this. It does work in earlier SheepShaver versions, though not very accurate. (Remember that Apple mice did not even have a scroll wheel.)

Best scroll by clicking the small black arrows at the end of the scroll bar, or grab and move the slider inside the scroll bar. You can also use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard.

Or you can install the latest version 2.4 build instead.

Edit: I will move this topic to the SheepShaver forum.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Funny I never noticed this... we'll probably want to see if we can fix it. Scrolling was mapped to the up and down arrows, and something probably changed with the SDL2 keycodes.
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

I don't believe that v2.4 will run under macOS Mojave as it is 32bit and and Mojave is 64 bit. Ease of scrolling is a big plus in my work. So until a scrolling fix is available in v2.5 (is this possible?), I'll use my arrow keys. Thanks for your help in clarifying this issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Most 32-bit applications do still run in Mojave, also my SheepShaver 2.4 July 2018 build. The macOS will present a warning when it is launched the first time, but after that it will run fine. It will not have the features that are related to SDL2 though, such as smoother switching between window and full screen mode.
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

Thanks. Using v2.4 in Mojave allows me to scroll up list using the mouse wheel, but unfortunately, not down list. Will a fix for v2.5 scrolling be available in the future?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rganschow wrote:Thanks. Using v2.4 in Mojave allows me to scroll up list using the mouse wheel, but unfortunately, not down list.
It should work both ways. Make sure that in Preferences > Miscellaneous the Mouse Wheel Function is set to "Page Up/Down".
(As always after saving any change in SheepShaver Preferences, quit SheepShaver and launch it again before you do anything else.)
Will a fix for v2.5 scrolling be available in the future?
Possibly. Don't know yet.
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

After your latest suggestion I went to the Mouse Wheel Function Preference in v2.4. It was already set to Page Up/Down, so I reset it to Cursor Up/Down to see whether that might resolve my original issue; and much to my joy, the mouse wheel now scrolls in both directions!!!
Thanks so much for staying with me on this. And I look forward to the possible scroll function becoming available in v2.5.
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks! I will post a new build shortly.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Nice work Ronald, thank you for building the executable!
Scrolling with my touchpad is working too again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Posted the new build with scroll wheel fix.
(Most of the work is again done by kanjitalk755.)
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

When opening the "scroll wheel-fixed v2.5" in macOS 10.14.3 on a 2018 MacBook Air, a freeze occurs when the blue screen with the Mac logo appears. What one sees in the window is a frozen enlargement of the lower left corner of the blue screen including the collapsed control panel bar. Control-escape then allows a forced quit.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Nothing changed in this newer version that could explain what you describe. Maybe something weird happened to your preferences settings.

- Open your Home folder and press command-shift-. (command-shift-period). That key combo toggles visibility of most otherwise hidden files.
- Find the file .sheepshaver_prefs
- Double-click the file to open it in TextEdit.
- Select all content, copy it, and paste it here in your reply.

Again pressing command-shift-. will again hide the 'invisible' files

Edit: There was one new entry in the Info.plist file in the application that maybe could cause problems on high resolution screens.
Please first try this one, the same build but with that entry removed: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepsha ... 90220A.zip

If the result is the same, do what I wrote above.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Faded part that appeared not relevant
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

Dear Mr. Regensburg,
I am pleased to report that your modification, SheepShaver-2, worked like a charm - and scrolling couldn't be better.
I am so grateful for the gracious efforts that you and others have made in creating and continually improving these Mac emulators. It has made my work, and I'm sure that of many others, possible. Kudos to you!!!!
Roger E. Ganschow
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Good. I modified the original SheepShaver download accordingly.
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

The 'scroll-fixed' v2.5 on my retina-screened MacBook Air was working properly when I decided to reduce the size of my SheepShaver window. I went into audio-video virtual machine settings in Preferences and reduced the two parameters by about half, and then quit. When I tried to reopen SheepShaver it would not boot suggesting to me that it was not finding the ROM file even though the file remained in my SheepShaver folder. Any suggestions as to where I go from here would be appreciated.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post here the content of your pefs file:

- Open your Home folder and press command-shift-. (command-shift-period). That key combo toggles visibility of most otherwise hidden files.
- Find the file .sheepshaver_prefs
- Double-click the file to open it in TextEdit.
- Select all content, copy it, and paste it here in your reply.

Again pressing command-shift-. will again hide the 'invisible' files.
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

cdrom MacOS9
extfs /Applications/Applications (Mac OS 9)
screen win/512/384
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 524288000
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, that is apparently too small for SheepShaver. If you want a small window, set it to 640x480.

Now that SheepShaver quits on launch, you will need to edit the prefs file manually. Open the file again in TextEdit and edit the line

Code: Select all

screen win/512/384
to

Code: Select all

screen win/640/480
then close the window saving the changes.

Another remark:
The Application folder is not a suitable place to put your shared folder in. If you want to move files from OS9 to your host environment, it is not possible to move files out of that location by simple dragging. Instead, you'll create aliases if you try that. Create your shared folder somewhere in your Home folder.
DrLex
Tinkerer

Post by DrLex »

While testing for the high-res resolution bug, I have also bumped into this issue and it proves to be the exact 512x384 resolution that causes SS to crash. Smaller resolutions do work. OS 9 looks kind of funny in 320x240 but is of course as good as unusable because it was never designed for anything below 512x384.
I haven't found the reason why this particular resolution causes problems, I'll try debugging it if I can find some time.
rganschow
Student Driver

Post by rganschow »

Thanks for the suggestions; a simple fix which worked
DrLex
Tinkerer

Post by DrLex »

I've found the reason why 512x384 fails, it is due to some backwards logic when constructing the list of video modes. First a generic list that includes 512x384 is defined but when building for SheepShaver, that resolution is skipped (I guess because no multiple scan monitor offered this resolution). The if-statement is poorly placed however, causing a resolution of 512x384 set in the preferences to be also rejected and SS mysteriously refusing to run.
The better logic is to define separate lists of video modes specifically for BasiliskII and SheepShaver. Another pull request (#10) coming up…
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

While you're in looking at the video modes: any chance you can fix the 256 color mode? I figure SDL should have some way of mapping 256 colors to 32 bits such that the guest OS thinks its in 256 but it's still displayed on a full pallette, thus avoiding many of the issues we've experienced over the years trying to patch it up at other levels of emulation.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

DrLex wrote:I've found the reason why 512x384 fails,
Nice work! Both your pull requests are merged by kanjitalk755. I will post a new 'recommended' build later today or tomorrow.