Working on bin/cue support in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Elyus
Tinkerer

Working on bin/cue support in SheepShaver

Post by Elyus »

It's been almost 9 years since Geoffrey Brown kindly contributed BII code for limited bin/cue support (partly inspired by the excellent DosBox team's bin/cue reader). Sadly, the feature never made it into standard builds of either BasiliskII or SheepShaver. I suppose this was due to a number of restrictions: audio output must match CD quality to play, Core Audio in Mac OS X led to a second output device for Mac OS to mix with the emulator output, and a reliance on Posix functions for reading the BIN files. Regardless, with so much of the logic in place and the lack of bin/cue files remaining a notable constraint on SheepShaver (e.g. inability to mount mixed-mode CDs), it seemed worth revisiting Dr. Brown's code.

I've been fiddling off and on for a while and finally made some headway this week. Originally, I focused on Core Audio. Some of the Core Audio calls have changed in the last few years, and while it now compiles, I still hear static with this approach. SDL is actually the better option for cross-compatibility, and since we're using SDL2 in both BII and SheepShaver now, I moved to SDL's new AudioStream API for reading and converting the CD audio. Not only should this remove limitations on matching sound output since SDL can convert to the appropriate format before mixing, but more importantly, CD audio works again!

The volume slider is now operational, and I tweaked the data partition reader to support redbook (MODE1/2352), yellowbook (MODE2/2352), and pure data (MODE1/2048) type discs, although I've not been able to get yellowbook discs to mount yet.

I've put a test build on GitHub for Mac OS X: https://github.com/spolsley/macemu/rele ... 5_20190616. The source code is available in the cdaudio_test branch. Uncertain, but it will probably build on Linux with USE_SDL_AUDIO=1. The build should swap out with an existing SheepShaver setup.

To use it, add a .cue file to the volumes list as a cdrom. My testing has been pretty limited so far, so I'm curious if it works for others.

Here's the list of limitations and issues that I know so far:

- The code is still very messy; comments and unused snippets are strewn about. Also, the way it does things should be improved; it's not really best practice. For instance, the hook in audio_sdl.cpp to play CD sound checks if a CD is playing every time the audio buffer tries to refill. This wastes CPU cycles the vast majority of times. My focus has been on functionality, but I would still like to clean the code and improve performance soon.

- Using SDL will enable CD audio in Windows, but the code continues to use lseek() and read() for handling BIN files. Looks like there might be equivalencies or variants available in Windows, but I don't have a current setup to test that.

- BasiliskII runs and recognizes the data and audio partitions. However, I'm still hearing static when playing the audio. It sounds like the format or rate isn't matching, but I haven't been able to determine the cause or find a fix yet.

- A few driver-level features remain unimplemented for the CD player: Shuffle, Scan, and Program.

- Some games, like Descent, will play CD audio in-game, but others, like Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, will not. It depends on how the game developers handled CD audio. Warcraft tries to open the Internal CD drive as a recording device and uses playthrough to simulate output. This is problematic, because it requires extending driver support to the Sound Input Manager. A skeleton of useful code exists in audio.cpp, but the 68k assembly for icon loading is indecipherable to me. It crashes SheepShaver and fails to build in BasiliskII.

Does anybody have a good reference for Sound Input Manager? I've been pouring over Inside Macintosh's Sound chapters, various documentation archived at Macintosh Garden, and a slew of technical notes. Maybe my eyes have glazed over, but I can't seem to find details on the expected arguments and responses to register a sound input device. It's all beyond my knowledge. I'm hoping someone here will have an idea. If this is enough of a start that others are interested or able to help, we might be able to get stable, cross-platform bin/cue support in all Sheep and BII builds soon!
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Re: Working on bin/cue support in SheepShaver

Post by almeath »

That is awesome news, thanks for revisiting this issue and making such quick progress.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I will definitely do some testing and report back.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I have tested Decent II. When I start the game I can get the CD music working in the main menu. I have swapped between MIDI and redbook audio and the difference is obvious.

However, when the introduction movie for the first level finishes, the game crashes with "Error locking sound 76". I have not been able to find a away around that yet. Enabling MIDI music results in the same error.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I also tested Warcraft II.

When I launch the game, I go to the advanced tab under Startup Options and next to "CD Audio Source" the menu has "none" selected and there are no other options. When the game starts, there is no background music.

However, when I go to the CD Audio Player, the CD tracks will play in there.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

Thanks for testing, almeath!

It looks like Warcraft II is the same as Warcraft I, using the CD player as a Sound Input device and passing through audio. Unfortunately, I still haven't found better documentation on the Sound Input Manager.

For Descent, I wonder if the lack of CD scanning is the problem. Error -76 is "tk0BadErr: track 0 detect doesn't change", so maybe it's related. Descent I doesn't have videos and doesn't crash, so I'll need to download Descent II and try to reproduce the crash.

Another issue with these mixed-mode games is timing. For some reason, in Warcraft and Descent, gameplay is too fast and controls are too slow. Maybe it can be fixed in settings, but some adjustment will be necessary to make them play correctly.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I've continued to play around with the Sound Input Manager and am now much more familiar with how Sheepshaver & BII handle drivers. The patched driver which traps out to audio.cpp's logic is making headway but is still fighting me when it comes to registering the STR# resource of available inputs.

Despite slow progress, in the midst of testing I discovered that Mac OS 9 can actually load the native driver (perhaps due to changes like embracing digital audio). I have put up a test build which should support both bin/cue mounting and CD playthrough with Mac OS 9 guests:

https://github.com/spolsley/macemu/rele ... 5_20191107

My hope is to get the patched driver working for better compatibility with earlier Mac OS versions, but it's probably more important to first figure out why BII is playing static and add Windows functions for reading bin/cue files. In the meantime, this might give options for mixed-mode CDs under Mac OS 9 that didn't work before.

I should note that a couple games I've tested work, but Warcraft I still refuses to play CD audio. I thought having playthrough enabled would change that. There must be something else going on, maybe in the way it's recognizing the disc. If anyone is able to download and test some mixed-mode use cases, I'd like to hear what is or isn't working!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

So is it possible to switch between modes using a prefs value, so that you can use the old buggy audio for most situations, and switch to passthrough for configurations where it works?

Then we can use the current setup while figuring out how to get the patched driver working with 8.6 and below.

Bin/Cue support is great... because now OS 9 can load up pretty much ANY bin/cue which can be read by Toast and converted :) If you could add support for iso/wav/cue format too, that'd be awesome, as support for that format is rather lacking on macOS.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Elyus wrote:I should note that a couple games I've tested work, but Warcraft I still refuses to play CD audio. I thought having playthrough enabled would change that. There must be something else going on, maybe in the way it's recognizing the disc. If anyone is able to download and test some mixed-mode use cases, I'd like to hear what is or isn't working!
I tried running Warcraft II in OS 9.0.4 with base extensions. In the initial game configuration options under Audio Source it says "Internal CD". However, once the main part of the game is running, there is no CD audio playing. The digitized sound in the introduction and main menus seems to work correctly. The CD tracks will still play in the Apple CD Audio Player application.

In Decent II, I tick the option to disable MIDI music in the initial configuration options. When the game starts the screen is entirely black but I can hear the audio to the intro sequence. I press escape and then the main menu displays correctly, and under the audio options it is confirmed that CD audio is playing. When I start the game, the intro movie/animation will play correctly here, but then as soon as it is done the screen goes black, I hear the OS alert sound, and then the game crashes and takes me back to the desktop with no error message or window.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the build with a couple improvements: (same link, but re-download to get the new executable)

https://github.com/spolsley/macemu/rele ... 5_20191107
  • Warcraft II CD audio now works! (due to a change in the "AudioPlay" control call)
  • Better Apple CD Player compatibility
    • CD scanning is mostly implemented, need to add track bounds
    • Sometimes the player issued a duplicate "resume" call, which no longer yields an error
@adespoton, I haven't added a prefs toggle yet. It would be possible, but since the sound input patch doesn't load either way, I'm not sure there's a noticeable difference for pre-OS 9 users. What I'd really like is to get the native driver to load in OS 8.

@almeath, your comments led me to investigate a couple different avenues:

Warcraft I & II Notes
I found Warcraft II getting stuck in a loop. It would set the start position, pause, set the end position, and then check status, repeating until playback started, but it never actually initiated playback. I think the problem was in Sheepshaver's implementation of "AudioPlay". Apple's documentation is a bit unclear, but I've changed it to start playback from the current position when being called with an end position.

Unfortunately, Warcraft I is still resistant. In the readme, it notes only an internal Apple CD drive with playthrough will work, and these patch notes from Warcraft II v1.23 provide more context for the problem:

Code: Select all

Warcraft II v1.23 Patch Notes

Reworked CD-ROM code to be compatible with just about every single CD-ROM drive. Also works if you have more than 1 CD-ROM drive plugged in.
That patch was released for Warcraft II about a year after Warcraft I's Mac debut. It suggests to me to WC1 has very rigid expectations in its code for CD audio. The lack of support for multiple drives may be the key problem since Sheepshaver can attach any number of CDs. It's also likely there's still some value being reported incorrectly that doesn't match the game's expectations of an internal Apple CD drive.

Descent II & Nanosaur Audio Notes
Regarding Descent II, the sound error is a different issue. I'm not sure if it's tied to the audio output driver or a missing/mis-implemented opcode. The crash is very similar to what happens when launching Nanosaur in Sheepshaver. Both games are open-source (Nanosaur, Descent II), and I've found the origin of the error in code: it's an attempt to play a sound before initializing the sound object.

In Nanosaur, it crashes when trying to show the loading screen with a T-Rex running next to the title. The T-Rex skeleton is loaded and attempts to play the footstep sound, despite not having the level sounds loaded at that point, only the menu sounds. I found an old tool from DescentBB to track down the troublesome file in Descent II, and it appears to be a background hum noise ("de_hum_2") which loads during the enemy overview screen.

To me, it seems like a bug in the games, at least in Nanosaur's case, but somehow they don't crash on real Macs. I can only assume something's wrong in Sheepshaver, maybe it's reporting the incorrect value or not computing something which would prevent the attempt to play unloaded sounds.

For Nanosaur, the fix is to use version 1.1.6, the charityware distribution. Its additional charity title screen apparently prevents the crash, but the game doesn't play correctly due to Quickdraw 3D issues. For Descent II, different versions didn't help, but if you disable sound effects on the launch screen, it will run. Unfortunately, it has similar speed issues to Descent I, making it unplayable.

General Comments
Of the games I've tested, only Warcraft I isn't working, but I'd like to find other games with the same problem. Something open source would be ideal; seeing the code is the most likely way to get it running apart from trial and error.

Then there's the speed issue. It seems many of these mixed-mode games associate their timing with the CPU speed in some way. The gameplay for both warcrafts can be adjusted nicely, but scrolling is way too fast. The game runs ok in Descent I, but the controls are too slow; conversely, the game and controls are too fast in Descent II. I'm beginning to wonder if it would be possible to add a speed control feature like Qemu and DosBox have.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

@Elyus, thanks for all your work on this. Warcraft II now works properly for me.

However, in Decent II I am still experiencing all kinds of problems like black screens and crashes with error type 3, or the error type 76 etc. I cannot actually get it to the main part of the game without crashing, even with the sound effects turned off.

Anyway, as you said it is not really playable until there is some kind of speed limiting feature available in SheepShaver. That would be an extremely useful improvement, as there are many games that are processor speed sensitive.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I think I may have some level of an idea of what's wrong in Warcraft I, from messing with CD drivers back in the day.

The internal Apple CD didn't implement a number of calls in the driver because it assumed it was the only optical media present. It also didn't implement the associated error checks.

Can someone try running WCI with the Mt Everything and Joliet extensions added? I think MG has them. This *may* implement the missing error handling needed.

However, even with that, WCI will likely die as it'll be making CDA calls without first initializing the playthrough; Apple in their infinite wisdom originally pre-loaded everything into memory and left it running, slaved to the internal CD-ROM drive. This meant WCI could just use the interface without having to initialize anything and indicate WHICH device was being used.

If this continues to be an issue and I've got the time (unlikely, but possible), I could crack open a copy of WCI and patch it and make it available somewhere. That would probably be easier than making SheepShaver work properly with it without adding a performance hit to SS.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I wanted to share a new bin/cue release with cross platform support:

SheepShaver and BasiliskII binaries for bin/cue mounting under Mac and Windows

Bin/cue should now be working on any platform for both Sheepshaver and BasiliskII! although I've not tested on Linux yet...

This is getting close to a pull request:
  • Most CD audio features are implemented and work in Apple's CD Audio Player (except Shuffle)
  • Most mixed-mode games seem to recognize both the data and play their audio
  • Cases of No-CD, Multiple-CD, or anywhere in-between will work. If you have multiple audio cds, the current audio will dynamically update to reflect the disc with most recent activity. This works for games since they are accessing data from their disc while running the game.
I agree with you, adespoton, about issues like Warcraft 1. It seems to be a hardcoding issue under the assumption that only Apple's built-in CD drive is present. SCSI support might be a fix if it were more complete; Apple's drive was always assigned as SCSI #3 and could possibly kick calls over to our other handler. Unfortunately, SCSI is not fully implemented and will take extra effort to finish, although that would be an interesting option to explore.

At present, with cross platform support, my next thought is to do more testing and possibly cleanup or optimize some code.

On a side note, I can't believe I've been fiddling with this feature off and on for over a year now. Tempus fugit, indeed!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Lovely development!

Perhaps the scsi implementation of the older basilisk can help?
I seem to remember I once re-enabled it for newer Basilisk and ported it to SheepShaver. Source seems lost, however.

There is also the work by neozeed enabling scsi support:
https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2014 ... -basilisk/

and this:
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=8450

Best,
Cat_7
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

After a few additional edits to enable optimization, this code is now merged into kanjitalk's repo.

Thanks for those links, Cat_7! I hadn't thought about SCSI implementations from elsewhere, but I am definitely interested in going through neozeed's code and seeing if SCSI can be migrated into the current codebase.

---

On that note, I always find your links helpful, and you seem to know a lot about features people have added over the years. Do you or perhaps the Emaculation wiki have a list of the various versions of BasiliskII and SheepShaver that have been released?

I'm learning there's actually a lot of functionality implemented for these emulators, but they are spread over many branches like neozeed's Cockatrice, Basilisk Build 142, and the different repos on GitHub (e.g., cebix, kanjitalk, and emaculation to name a few). If we could track which unique features are in other releases, it might be possible to do something like ianfixes' idea to centralize development. In the absence of original developers, I think Emaculation has become the de facto home for these emulators, and as exciting as Qemu's future is, I hope to see new features and releases for BII and SheepShaver for years to come!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Elyus wrote:After a few additional edits to enable optimization, this code is now merged into kanjitalk's repo.
I will post new builds from kanjitalk755 source soon. (Not sure, though, how I can create relevant disk images in Catalina.)
I'm learning there's actually a lot of functionality implemented for these emulators, but they are spread over many branches
In 2006 regular development of BasiliskII and SheepShaver in one hand stopped when Gwenole Beauchesne "suspended" development. Alexei Svitkine (asvitkine) guards the code since, and in 2012 the original B2-devel code base was moved from SourceForge to GitHub, cebix/macemu.

I always regretted the splitting in numerous branches, each with its own solutions and features. After kanjitalk755 combined the features from several branches, I decided to stick with his branch.

I am surprised to learn about the existence of the emaculation branch. There is no formal link with emaculation.com that I am aware of. Maybe one of our forum members?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: I am surprised to learn about the existence of the emaculation branch. There is no formal link with emaculation.com that I am aware of. Maybe one of our forum members?
It seems to have been created (or at least contributed to) by the user named "ian" or "infixes". You can find details by clicking on his icon in the list of people who contributed code.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Users with Ian in their username last visited the forum 7 years ago and 10 years ago respectively.
github.com/emaculation has a link to our wiki, though.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Elyus wrote:
This is getting close to a pull request:
  • Most CD audio features are implemented and work in Apple's CD Audio Player (except Shuffle)
  • Most mixed-mode games seem to recognize both the data and play their audio
  • Cases of No-CD, Multiple-CD, or anywhere in-between will work. If you have multiple audio cds, the current audio will dynamically update to reflect the disc with most recent activity. This works for games since they are accessing data from their disc while running the game.
I would like to check if Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 were tested at any stage? Both games will install and launch, however under the options it is not possible to select "CD Audio" as it is greyed out. I tested this in System 7 and MacOS 8.

In both cases, the CD audio tracks are still recognized and playable in the Apple CD Audio Player.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I've not tested the Alone in the Dark games, but I'd like to try them out to see if audio can be played. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of these games, but I'll check the Mac Garden versions for CD audio.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

@almeath:

I tested with the Mac Garden images, and I was able to get CD Audio working for 3 but not 2. Note that you must install the game and video folder directly to your hard drive and run the game from there (not the CD) for it to work. The Readme explains that it's too much data to both play the game and listen to music from the disc simultaneously. Not an issue with the virtual drive, but they hardcoded it to disable CD Audio unless you run from the hard drive anyways.

The second game has a different issue: when running from the hard drive, it can't locate it's disc! I'm guessing it's a similar problem to other old games that don't fully support third-party CD drives. A no-CD patch might be the easiest fix, although hopefully Sheepshaver will be able to fool even these games at some point.
dom
Space Cadet

Post by dom »

Hello,

I'm trying to revive something I managed to have in previous Sheepshaver version : mixed-mode CD-ROM from Voyager Co. working in the emulator with CD audio.
In the past, I compiled a version of Sheepshaver with Xcode and the bin/cue mixed-mode CD-ROM support added by Geoffrey Brown 10 years ago. It was under Snow Leopard if I remember well...
I worked with the very same idea than his in mind : giving back access to old (before the web/offline) cultural CD-ROM. Thanks to him I could run again old titles like "Beethoven 9th symphony", a mixed-mode CD-ROM made with HyperCard, all with CD quality audio playing perfectly.

I recently updated my machines to run Catalina, so I lost the ability to run 32 bits apps and I had to updat my Sheepshaver executables. I tried to run the bin/cue files I made before and that was running OK in my previous build of Sheepshaver, but in the current build, sound is noisy, like its interpretation is not made right. The audio tracks a recognised by the OS, I can see it in the Audio CD player, the timing is correct also, the app runs OK, but the sound is crushed.

Is there any settings I'm missing ?

Thanks to all of you for your hard work on this. It's very, very important for us (an Art and Design School studying sometime digital objects from the past...) to have this kind of emulator!
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

Hi, dom,

It sounds like you're building from source for Mac OS with CoreAudio. In that case, you would hear static since the CoreAudio API has slightly changed, and I'm not sure the exact fix needed.

However, rather than troubleshoot CoreAudio, if you're using code from kanjitalk's repo, you can build with the USE_SDL_AUDIO flag. This will route CD audio through SDL's cross platform AudioStream API, and that should fix the static issue. If you do manage to fix CoreAudio, I'd be curious to hear what you did!

Also note that Ronald's binaries are available here and include the SDL audio method for handling bin/cue images transparently. If there's other specific changes you need in your custom builds, this may not be a solution, but I wanted to mention it since there are a lot of recent improvements which have gone into those builds.
dom
Space Cadet

Post by dom »

Thanks for your answer, Elyus!

I did not mention that the test I made yesterday was with the binary compiled by Ronald. My bad... I read this thread with attention and understood that bin/cue images can be now used easily (and that's great!!). But the sound issue I'm speaking about has come out with this very new version.

To be sure I'm not mad, and before posting here, I also downloaded a previous binary you made available on this thread (same issue with noisy sound from CD tracks), and I also compiled from sources to check in the Xcode console if SDL sound was used or not... and the answer is yes! SDL sound is being used but sound is noisy.

I tried with another CD-ROM, mixed-mode again, "Amanda Stories", and strangely, the sound is just perfect with this title... clear like a real CD audio player, event in the Audio CD Player app.

Then, I went back with a CD-ROM from the Voyager Company, a musical title about Stravinsky and... sound is crushed and noisy exactly like with the Beethoven CD-ROM from the very same Voyager Company.

All these CD-ROM disk images (bin/cue) has been made with the very same terminal command, from the original ones, and was running very well with the previous builds I made (a long time ago...). So, I'm out of clues about what's going on here.

Do you think it could have something to do with the audio tracks themselves ?
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

Is this the Beethoven CD: Beethoven and Beyond? I downloaded it from Mac Garden and am unable to reproduce the issue of static. If you try Mac Garden's version, does it work for you?

For your CD copies, I can only guess as to what's happening, but it is interesting they all played on your older version. Is that still the case, or is there possible corruption? I also wonder about output sample rate. SDL's AudioStream is supposed to be mixing any output rate with the 44.1kHz CD audio, but I actually haven't tested if that works when the system is set to something else like 22kHz.