Working on bin/cue support in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

dom
Space Cadet

Re: Working on bin/cue support in SheepShaver

Post by dom »

Thanks for your support on this.

I tested the Beethoven_Beyond image from Mac Garden, and it's working great also for me. So, maybe there is something wrong with my bin/cue files... I can't test with the old version of SheepSaver I built in the past, unfortunately.

I will try to make new disk images from the physical CD-ROM. I'm using this command to make the bin/cue files :

cdrdao read-cd --paranoia-mode 3 --read-raw --datafile filename.bin filename.toc

then I use : toc2cue filename.toc to get the cue file generated.

Could that be the problem ? It is supposed to generates single binary and 2532 tracks (audio and raw data)...
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I'm honestly not sure. I don't think I've gotten a successful bin/cue file using the cdrdao & toc2cue method myself. Perhaps relevant: the toc2cue man page has a note about static noise from audio CDs for recording.

Would you be willing to share one of your bin/cue files? I could try to reproduce the issue and try some different settings. You could also consider asking the folks at Macintosh Garden. They are a lot more familiar with bin/cue preservation of media!
dom
Space Cadet

Post by dom »

I spent a long time today trying to make a bin/cue disk image to work in the current SS build.
I tried so many things... at the end, using PowerISO on Windows (even on a virtualized Windows 2000 with an old PowerISO version) is the only way I found for having CD quality sound for mixed-mode disk image of CD-ROM from Voyager Co.

I tried cdrdao with many various options, under Mac OS X mainly as I'm a Mac user, but I also gave a shot to Linux Mint last build on a PC (bare metal- not a virtual machine).

What I can see is that there is a very small difference between the image files generated by PowerISO and those made by cdrdao.

The .bin file is a little bit bigger or smaller when made with PowerISO, and the .cue file has a small amount of time delay for each track, almost like an unnecessary offset is introduced somewhere by cdrdao and at the generated disk image lacks something... Depending on the CD-ROM, the PREGAP seems to be the source of the problem.

Here is an example :

Physical CD-ROM : The Classical Ideal, from Voyager Co. (Mixed-mode CD-ROM with audio Tracks).

With PowerISO under Win 2000 I get :

classic.bin : 752,4 Mo (752 435 376 octets)
classic.cue :
FILE "classic.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 01:06:01
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 05:48:04
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 06:22:11
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 07:30:38
[...]
TRACK 51 AUDIO
INDEX 01 70:32:39

!This disc image works perfectly with SheepShaver!

With cdrdao I have :

classic.bin : 755,5 Mo (752 082 576 octets)
classic.cue :
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 01:04:01
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 05:46:04
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 06:20:11
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 07:28:38
[...]
TRACK 51 AUDIO
INDEX 01 70:30:39

! With this image, I have statics noise in SS!

So, comparing both, we can deduce that the ripping process is not the same.

I will eventually ask to the Mac Garden community what tools they are using for mixed-mode CD-ROM ripping, as you suggest.
And I can also share both the working and the noisy disk image for you to have a look, if you would like too. Please, confirm me if you would like to have access to it.

And thanks again for your help!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

dom wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:28 pm I spent a long time today trying to make a bin/cue disk image to work in the current SS build.
I tried so many things... at the end, using PowerISO on Windows (even on a virtualized Windows 2000 with an old PowerISO version) is the only way I found for having CD quality sound for mixed-mode disk image of CD-ROM from Voyager Co.

I tried cdrdao with many various options, under Mac OS X mainly as I'm a Mac user, but I also gave a shot to Linux Mint last build on a PC (bare metal- not a virtual machine).

What I can see is that there is a very small difference between the image files generated by PowerISO and those made by cdrdao.

The .bin file is a little bit bigger or smaller when made with PowerISO, and the .cue file has a small amount of time delay for each track, almost like an unnecessary offset is introduced somewhere by cdrdao and at the generated disk image lacks something... Depending on the CD-ROM, the PREGAP seems to be the source of the problem.

Here is an example :

Physical CD-ROM : The Classical Ideal, from Voyager Co. (Mixed-mode CD-ROM with audio Tracks).

With PowerISO under Win 2000 I get :

classic.bin : 752,4 Mo (752 435 376 octets)
classic.cue :
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 01:06:01
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 05:48:04
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 06:22:11
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 07:30:38
[...]
TRACK 51 AUDIO
INDEX 01 70:32:39

!This disc image works perfectly with SheepShaver!

With cdrdao I have :

classic.bin : 755,5 Mo (752 082 576 octets)
classic.cue :
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 01:04:01
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 05:46:04
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 06:20:11
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 07:28:38
[...]
TRACK 51 AUDIO
INDEX 01 70:30:39

! With this image, I have statics noise in SS!

So, comparing both, we can deduce that the ripping process is not the same.

I will eventually ask to the Mac Garden community what tools they are using for mixed-mode CD-ROM ripping, as you suggest.
And I can also share both the working and the noisy disk image for you to have a look, if you would like too. Please, confirm me if you would like to have access to it.

And thanks again for your help!
Great work! What happens if you use the PowerISO cuefile with the cdrdao rip? What I'm seeing here is that cdrdao is assuming the audio should be gapped and doesn't allow for continuous play, which this sort of audio would definitely have.

If the PowerISO cuefile + cdrdao bin works, then it's likely just a flag in cdrdao that needs to be set differently. If the static is still there, something else is probably causing it.

In the past, I've been able to get cdrdao to perfectly mimic PowerISO, so it should be possible here too.

Out of curiosity, what does the TOC file look like? It's possible the issue was generated by toc2cue and not by cdrdao at all.

Here's the complete list of cdrdao options:

cdrdao {show-toc|read-toc|read-cd|read-cddb|show-data|read-test|disk-info|msinfo|unlock|simulate|write|copy|blank} [--device device] [--source-device device] [--driver driver-id] [--source-driver driver-id] [--simulate] [--speed writing-speed] [--blank-mode mode] [--datafile file] [--read-raw] [--read-subchan [--no-mode2-mixed] mode] [--tao-source] [--tao-source-adjust link-blocks] [--fast-toc] [--buffers buffer-count] [--multi] [--overburn] [--eject] [--swap] [--session] [--force] [--reload] [--keepimage] [--on-the-fly] [--paranoia-mode mode] [--with-cddb] [--cddb-servers server-list] [--cddb-timeout timeout] [--cddb-directory directory] [--tmpdir directory] [--keep] [--save] [-n] [-v verbose-level] toc-file

There's enough different flags there that could be causing the issue that it's probably worth trying a few variations and seeing what gives you an exact PowerISO match.
dom
Space Cadet

Post by dom »

Just a quick answer : yes, I tried to use the .cue file made by PowerISO with the .bin file made by cdrdao, and it still produces static noise, so I think that something if different in the way cdrdao is producing the .bin file.
I tried a lot of different options with cdrdao, reading again and again its man page... then I gave up and gave a try to PowerISO.

I may will try others combinaisons later. I have the intuition that the time gap is the key : it looks like the gap is ignored by PowerISO and not by cdrdao.

I checked also the TOC file, and it contains the same timing and track info than the .cue file made with toc2cue...

Thanks.
dom
Space Cadet

Post by dom »

I almost gave up when I had a look to this wiki entry about DOS emulation :

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet

The relevant part is this :
The option --driver generic-mmc:0x20000 takes care of the correct byte order. Omitting it would lead to noise instead of music.
Pretty straight... and from the man page of cdrdao (https://github.com/denisleroy/cdrdao/blob/master/README) :
0x00020000: If the byte order of the audio data retrieved with
'read-cd' is wrong (i.e. not big endian samples) use
this option.
I already read this ReadMe, but I didn't try the various driver options. There are others options that can be useful too, for other cases than audio.

So, by adding :

Code: Select all

--driver generic-mmc:0x20000
to my command line, the bin/cue is finally audio-compatible with SheepShaver! The noise is gone!

Hope this will help others, someday, when they face the same problem.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

dom wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:21 pm I almost gave up when I had a look to this wiki entry about DOS emulation :

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet

The relevant part is this :
The option --driver generic-mmc:0x20000 takes care of the correct byte order. Omitting it would lead to noise instead of music.
Pretty straight... and from the man page of cdrdao (https://github.com/denisleroy/cdrdao/blob/master/README) :
0x00020000: If the byte order of the audio data retrieved with
'read-cd' is wrong (i.e. not big endian samples) use
this option.
I already read this ReadMe, but I didn't try the various driver options. There are others options that can be useful too, for other cases than audio.

So, by adding :

--driver generic-mmc:0x20000
to my command line, the bin/cue is finally audio-compatible with SheepShaver! The noise is gone!

Hope this will help others, someday, when they face the same problem.
Please let the guys at MG know about this too -- this is extremely useful to know for data archiving.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Elyus wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 am Despite slow progress, in the midst of testing I discovered that Mac OS 9 can actually load the native driver (perhaps due to changes like embracing digital audio). I have put up a test build which should support both bin/cue mounting and CD playthrough with Mac OS 9 guests:

https://github.com/spolsley/macemu/rele ... 5_20191107

My hope is to get the patched driver working for better compatibility with earlier Mac OS versions, but it's probably more important to first figure out why BII is playing static and add Windows functions for reading bin/cue files. In the meantime, this might give options for mixed-mode CDs under Mac OS 9 that didn't work before.
I am wondering if this branch is still a going concern? Having recently started testing out SheepShaver in Windows, I have found that this 3 year old fork will compile, but it is too buggy to engage in much testing. In System 7 I cannot get any .cue file to mount on the desktop, they all come up as unreadable and needing initialization. In MacOS 8 and 9 there are issues with an uncontrollable/erratic mouse cursor flying off the screen that prevents further testing. I am interested to know if there is any prospect of this branch being re-based against the latest source code from kanjitalk755's branch?

I got interested in this again when I noticed that the Windows build of SheepShaver will mount physical CDs, and while that is great, there is no ability for SheepShaver to recognize the CD audio partition, and hence any multimode CD will not work properly.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

@almeath, you should be able to use the latest Windows versions compiled from kanjitalk755's repo to get bin/cue support!

It got merged a while back, and to the best of my knowledge, it continues to run in the latest version. You need to mount the cue sheet like a CD in your volumes list, and as long as the path to the bin file is correct (just the name is needed if they're in the same directory), the disc should load.

If you need to generate new bin/cue pairs, the method described by dom a couple posts back seems to work for creating compatible mixed-mode images.

There are a couple games that won't play their audio correctly in-game (e.g., Warcraft 1 doesn't recognize it as the built-in CD drive), but the audio itself should work with the CD Audio Player.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

If that is the case, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I am using the latest Windows version of SheepShaver. I have tried two different bin/cue pairs; Alone in the Dark 3 and Descent. In my preference file I use the following:

cdrom Alone3.cue

or

cdrom Descent.cue

When I start up SheepShaver (System 7.5.5) it immediately tells me the disk is unreadable by this Macintosh and asks if I want to format it.

I have checked the cue sheets to make sure the name of the binary is correct, and all the files are in the one folder along with my preferences file and SheepShaver.exe.

:?:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Odd. If the cue file is added in the GUI as CD-ROM and if the matching bin file is in the same folder as the cue file, it should work.

Where did you get the bin/cue pair? I remember a problem with bin/cue files where the files were presented in a OSX zip format that was expanded in Windows.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Interesting point about the zip archive issue. The files I tested were extracted from a zip file which had OSX files inside it. I am going to test this by burning a CD from the bin/cue pair in Windows. I will report back.

I presume I could also try directly mounting a physical CD.

UPDATE:

So I tried downloading Alone in the Dark 3 from the Macintosh Garden. Extracting the bin/cue in Windows leads to the problem reported above - unrecognizable in SheepShaver.

I tried burning the bin/cue to a physical CD using ImgBurn in Windows, and it burns successfully but fails verification - just sits there endlessly scanning track 2.

The physical CD will still mount in SheepShaver. However, it is like the track data is recognized but the data within the audio tracks is missing. In AppleCD Audio Player, you can see all the track listings, but when you play one, the timer moves along but no sound is played. This is not a sound problem with the emulated environment because I can play the system sounds in the Sound control panel.

I try re-ripping the physical CD I just burned, and it fails the verification process there, so this would go around in circles.

The exact same thing happens with Descent.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Reading some of the posts above, I get the impression that nothing is going to make those BIN/CUE rips on Macintosh Garden work, due to the nature of how they were ripped in the first place off the original media. If they were ripped using a Mac, it seems they are encoded in a way that renders them unusable within Windows. Is that a correct assumption?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

almeath wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:08 pm Reading some of the posts above, I get the impression that nothing is going to make those BIN/CUE rips on Macintosh Garden work, due to the nature of how they were ripped in the first place off the original media. If they were ripped using a Mac, it seems they are encoded in a way that renders them unusable within Windows. Is that a correct assumption?
This got me thinking.

Can you paste the contents of your cue files in here? They're just text files, and most should have no more than a handful of lines.

I suspect that the issue might possibly be with line ending parsing; I believe CUE uses <cr><lf> line endings like Windows, but Classic Mac OS uses <cr> and Linux/macOS use <lf>. Line endings are important in CUE files; there has to be one index entry per line.

The BIN files themselves should be the same irrespective of which program ripped them; they're just a binary read of the optical media without any of the metadata about track type and location. This is what makes BIN/CUE a useful format, in that you can create a new, more nuanced CUE file after the fact if new properties are discovered regarding the BIN file it references.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

This is the entire content of the CUE sheet:

FILE "Alone in the Dark 3.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 25:34:12
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 27:37:00
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 28:16:72
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 30:39:54
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 30:56:59
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 31:14:46
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 33:31:05
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 33:56:72
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 36:19:25
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 36:38:54
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 37:48:35
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 39:10:34
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 39:31:73
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 42:01:02
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 44:28:71
  TRACK 17 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 46:59:45
  TRACK 18 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 48:08:11
  TRACK 19 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 49:57:18
  TRACK 20 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 52:24:61
  TRACK 21 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 55:14:69
  TRACK 22 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 56:10:02
  TRACK 23 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 57:58:40
  TRACK 24 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 59:42:05
  TRACK 25 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 59:56:31
  TRACK 26 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 60:32:66
  TRACK 27 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 61:21:17
  TRACK 28 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 61:58:19
  TRACK 29 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 62:14:61
  TRACK 30 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 62:32:30
  TRACK 31 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 62:51:02
  TRACK 32 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 63:18:69
  TRACK 33 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 63:35:09
  TRACK 34 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 63:50:38
  TRACK 35 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 64:20:01
  TRACK 36 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 64:39:10
  TRACK 37 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 64:55:70
  TRACK 38 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 65:14:64
  TRACK 39 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 65:27:18
  TRACK 40 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 65:51:10
  TRACK 41 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 66:12:53
  TRACK 42 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 66:23:59
  TRACK 43 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 67:00:36
  TRACK 44 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 67:17:13
  TRACK 45 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 67:32:32
  TRACK 46 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 67:48:45
  TRACK 47 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 68:14:08
  TRACK 48 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 68:30:30
  TRACK 49 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 68:48:19
  TRACK 50 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 69:06:41
  TRACK 51 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 69:21:63
  TRACK 52 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 69:38:51
  TRACK 53 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 69:56:00
  TRACK 54 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 70:19:56
  TRACK 55 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 70:44:19
  TRACK 56 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 71:05:12
  TRACK 57 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 71:22:66
  TRACK 58 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 71:57:23
  TRACK 59 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 72:11:43
  TRACK 60 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 72:30:66
  TRACK 61 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 72:52:16
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tgtm948i ... bbcne&dl=0

This is a link to the actual CUE sheet. I notice the spacing looks different when you look at the listings within Notepad.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. For better presentation, I edited the post above to make the comtent of the file be shown as "code".

2. Where did you get the files? I can download them, decompress in macOS and again zip them in Windows-compatible zip format.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:54 pm 2. Where did you get the files? I can download them, decompress in macOS and again zip them in Windows-compatible zip format.
The CUE sheet referenced above is from the third disc of the "Alone in the Dark Trilogy" at the Macintosh Garden.

I am not sure if that would work, but definitely worth a try at this stage, thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This is strange. I unzipped the third download and added the cue file to the volumes list. At first boot I had the cd available (as hard disk) on the mac os 9 desktop. The game crashed SheepShaver as soon as I started it. At reboot SheepShaver could not read the image.

Edit: As it showed up as hard disk and was not set to be read-only, the cue file grew.... Now after unzipping again, setting both files as read-only and adding the cue file explicitly as cd rom, I can again read the CD. The crash, however, is the same.....

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... so one MODE1/2352 track and 60 RedBook Audio tracks.

What happens if the CUE is truncated to only list the first track?
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

adespoton wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:11 pm Hmm... so one MODE1/2352 track and 60 RedBook Audio tracks.

If you mean delete all lines below the first track, loading the cue sheet takes me to the desktop but shows nothing but greyed out items in the menu bar, with no dialogue window on the desktop and nothing is responsive when clicked, but pressing return then takes things back to normal - as if an invisible dialogue message had been closed.
Last edited by almeath on Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

almeath wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:24 pm
adespoton wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:11 pm Hmm... so one MODE1/2352 track and 60 RedBook Audio tracks.

I you mean, delete all lines below the first track, loading the cue sheet takes me to the desktop but shows nothing but greyed out items in the menu bar, with no dialogue window on the desktop and nothing is responsive when clicked, but pressing return then takes things back to normal - as if an invisible dialogue message had been closed.
That's... odd. Seems like maybe we need to look at the CUE handling code a bit more. As another experiment, what happens if you change it to MODE2 instead of MODE1? Keep the 2352 block size, as that's standard for CDs.

I suspect that the issues here are specific to MODE1 layout with RedBook Audio tracks appended.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

adespoton wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:38 pm That's... odd. Seems like maybe we need to look at the CUE handling code a bit more. As another experiment, what happens if you change it to MODE2 instead of MODE1? Keep the 2352 block size, as that's standard for CDs.

I suspect that the issues here are specific to MODE1 layout with RedBook Audio tracks appended.
If I use Mode 2, it behaves in exactly the same manner as Mode 1. "This disk is unreadable by this Macintosh.." , and no disk shows up on the desktop. Same if I load it as "disk" or "cdrom".
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I cannot make this work in SheepShaver for macOS. In the cases where I got a bin/cue pair to work, I added the cue file as CD-ROM and made sure the bin file is in the same folder as the cue file. But in those cases there was only one bin file. Here I get 61 bin files after unzipping.

BTW: This is the Japanese version.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

BTW: This is the Japanese version.
Not when you download from the trilogy page: https://macintoshgarden.org/games/alone ... trilogy-fr

Edit: There seems to be nothing wrong with the bin/cue pairs. I unzipped Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 in Windows 11 and ran the games in Basilisk with Mac OS 7.5.3. Both work.
When trying with SheepShaver with Mac OS 9, the game crashes immediately when the system is not set to 256 colours. If you set 256 colours and start the game you are greeted with a choice of window size and a message that you run the PPC optimised version.... before it crashes ;-)
It does run in SheepShaver on a fresh installation of Mac OS 7.5.3.

When I edit the prefs to set the cue file as cdrom, I delete the entry to my real CD drive.

Best,
Cat_7