Login  •  Register

The time is now: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:47 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
 Post subject: Sound manager question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:29 am 
Space Cadet

I recently downloaded mac os 9 to my sheepshaver, and attempted to start a game, but got a message stating that sound manager unable to open enough channels. Has anyone else encountered this problem. I copied the disk from Unix onto the desktop. I'm also wondering if I mounted the disk properly. It was a toast file instead of a dmg that I added. Would this make a difference? Should I have converted it to the dmg format? Thanks.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:40 am 
Expert User

Hi, welcome!

Toast files are just images of CDs on hard disk. They can be added to the volumes list using the prefs editor.
To actually copy files to Mac OS 9, do not copy stuff from the Unix drive onto the desktop. Always copy into the Mac OS 9 hard disk. So open the hard disk with the Mac OS 9 installation and copy your files into the window.
If you copy to the desktop from the Unix drive, the files effectively are still on the Unix drive and cannot be executed without issues.

Did you do a full installation from a Mac OS 9 CD image, or are you using a ready-made image you found on the Internet? If the latter, it might be your installation of Mac OS 9 is incomplete. If you need to do a full installation, CD images for that can be found on the macintoshgarden website.

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:15 am 
Space Cadet

Good evening,
Thanks so much for your help. Should I copy the game disk using the preferences window prior to installing OS 9 again? Or is there a way to access the disk from someplace other than the Unix drive, having already downloaded OS 9? Thanks so much.