Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:38 pm 
Space Cadet

Hi there.

So when attempting to move files using the file transfer for SheepShaver by dropping the file onto the MacOS9 shortcut on my Windows desktop, OS9 will often give me the following message:

"I was unable to find the file. Please move the file to a different Windows folder and drop it again."

I do move the file to different folders, and it makes no difference.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

I got SheepShaver from here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9win.html

Thank you!
-Gidoza

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm 
Forum All-Star

Try moving the file to your Windows desktop, and then drop it on the MacOS9 icon. The file may e in a folder where my app doesn't have permission (from Windows) to access it.

[Ronald - this probably belongs in the Alternate SheepShaver Configurations folder, because it's about my MacOS9 system for Windows. But perhaps leave it here until the OP gets a change to read it?]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 pm 
Space Cadet

Hi,

I have moved it to the desktop - it makes no difference.

Cheers,
-Gidoza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 pm 
Space Cadet

Hi there,

Moreover, any files I'm moving over from my real Mac OS9 computer seem not to work. They all appear as "white folders" no matter what and complain that the "file that created them" could not be found. Simple example: Master of Orion II works fine on my MacOS9, but when I move it to the emulator, it refuses to start and every file is a blank white file, but of the correct size.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm 
Forum All-Star

Gidoza wrote:
Hi there,

Moreover, any files I'm moving over from my real Mac OS9 computer seem not to work. They all appear as "white folders" no matter what and complain that the "file that created them" could not be found. Simple example: Master of Orion II works fine on my MacOS9, but when I move it to the emulator, it refuses to start and every file is a blank white file, but of the correct size.

Probably you're losing the resource fork when you move the file from the Mac to Windows and then to SheepShaver. That's why the files won't work. You'll need to use something like Stuffit to compress the files on the Mac, and then uncompress the Stuffit archive in SheepShaver. You can find information about this in the forum.

Basically, once you move an UNARCHIVED (not Stuffed, not binhex-ed, not Zipped, etc.) file from any Mac to a Windows machine, you make it unusable, and there's no easy way to fix it. Always archive the file on a Mac system first.

EDIT: Adespoton gave an even better answer while I was writing mine...

Last edited by emendelson on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm 
Forum All-Star

Create a disk image on your OS 9 system and copy all the folders into that. Then move the image across to the emulator and mount it (either via emulator prefs, or mount it within the OS). Then copy things over.

When you move Mac files onto NTFS or FAT filesystems, they lose all the metadata associated with the files. So even if they only have a data fork and you don't lose resources, you're still going to lose the file associations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 pm 
Space Cadet

emendelson wrote:
Gidoza wrote:
Hi there,

Probably you're losing the resource fork when you move the file from the Mac to Windows and then to SheepShaver. That's why the files won't work. You'll need to use something like Stuffit to compress the files on the Mac, and then uncompress the Stuffit archive in SheepShaver. You can find information about this in the forum.

Basically, once you move an UNARCHIVED (not Stuffed, not binhex-ed, not Zipped, etc.) file from any Mac to a Windows machine, you make it unusable, and there's no easy way to fix it. Always archive the file on a Mac system first.

EDIT: Adespoton gave an even better answer while I was writing mine...

Ah. That's easy enough. Will have to start over again with re-plugging in my OS9 and stuffing everything, then I'll let you know what happens. :)