Login  •  Register

The time is now: Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [ 62 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 pm 
Expert User

adespoton wrote:
Could we be looking at a security model change on Apple's part, that doesn't show up for some of us due to how we've got our Gatekeeper preferences and extended attributes set?

If that would be the cause, wouldn't it happen always for those who experience the issue? Users either see the issue never or they see the issue mostly but not always. Some described in this topic that launching in full-screen mode worked occasionally

Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:39 am 
Granny Smith

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
adespoton wrote:
Could we be looking at a security model change on Apple's part, that doesn't show up for some of us due to how we've got our Gatekeeper preferences and extended attributes set?

If that would be the cause, wouldn't it happen always for those who experience the issue? Users either see the issue never or they see the issue mostly but not always. Some described in this topic that launching in full-screen mode worked occasionally

I agree. Was just throwing some ideas out there, as I am otherwise still completely stumped. I remember someone mentioning earlier on that all those security patches for various Intel chips might have had an effect, and perhaps accounts for the varying behavior across different machines. Those patches came in around the time of 10.14.4 and 10.14.5 and that is precisely when I first started noticing the problem. However, I generally would have expected odd behaviors from other apps and not just SheepShaver.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:00 pm 
Expert User

Just a thought. Did you try to launch SheepShaver full-screen after safe restart and/or safe login on the host?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:21 am 
Granny Smith

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Just a thought. Did you try to launch SheepShaver full-screen after safe restart and/or safe login on the host?

I tried that, and the freeze up occurred again. I used the key command to force quit SheepShaver and this time I got a dialog box with a crash report. The output is saved here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pdx6c1exp61s ... g.rtf?dl=0

I am not that experienced at interpreting crash reports, but it at least confirms that I was getting an unresponsive process when launching in full screen mode.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 am 
Granny Smith

I don't know if the problem can be solved because it doesn't reproduce in my environment, but try the following code.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/tree/unlock_test

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:47 pm 
Expert User

A test build from this code is available here: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... k_test.zip

(The app is not notarized, so you will need to use right-click (or control-click) to open it the first time.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm 
Granny Smith

kanjitalk755 wrote:
I don't know if the problem can be solved because it doesn't reproduce in my environment, but try the following code.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/tree/unlock_test

I have not had time to try it in safe mode for a full crash report, but I am experiencing the same results as noted in my previous posts - intermittent black screen with pinwheel and CPU spike until force-quit. Windowed mode works normally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 am 
Granny Smith

To identify the location of the busy wait, try commenting out SheepShaver/src/Unix/sysdeps.h#L377.

Code:
//while (testandset(lock));

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:17 pm 
Space Cadet

Hi Ronald,
About the full screen, I've always wondered why the "full screen" icon on the upper left corner has always been kept grey. If it were possible to enable the full screen button manually from this button, it would be nice, solve the issue and be more compliant with the MacOS X GUI. What do you think?
Thanks for the good job.
Laurent

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm 
Expert User

These applications are non-standard in many ways and it is a miracle that they can be made to run in modern macOS at all. It not possible to make SheepShaver (and BasiliskII) use the green button. But otherwise, when you use the Control-Return toggle instead, both emulators hook into most of the same full-screen possibilities that macOS offers. The emulators in full screen mode occupy their own space just like other apps in full screen and you can swipe between apps and/or the desktop.

Why some encounter the full screen problem in Mojave and Catalina, that this topic is about, is a mystery. Interestingly, it does not happen to any of those who are involved in developing or building. This makes it difficult to find the cause.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:57 am 
Space Cadet

I didn't know the CTRL+Return trick. It makes the job with Catalina, thank you !

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:37 am 
Expert User

It is in our setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... creen_mode
There is a lot more to learn from the manual. If you happen to be a long time SheepShaver user, you will also find descriptions of new features there.

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [ 62 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3