CarbonLib install and various other problems

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cannoli
Space Cadet

CarbonLib install and various other problems

Post by Cannoli »

I myself am no computer wiz and I’ve gotten this far through watching tutorials and scrolling through forums. I’m finally stuck and need some hands on guidance. I’m attempting to run Zoo Tycoon on sheepshaver, I can’t open the game due to carbonlib not being updated. I downloaded the carbonlib update and put it in my shared folder (carbonlib 1.6.smi) and it says it’s unable to execute the file. I don’t exactly know what else I did wrong here, I’m just trying to install carbonlib so I can run the game. I’m working with a MacBook Pro OS X 10.11 and sheepshaver is on OS X 9. Any help (in super simple terms) would be much appreciated. I just wanna make some neat zoos already
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: CarbonLib install and various other problems

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Open your Unix drive and drag the carbonlib update onto the icon of your hard disk. Do not drag it onto the desktop. Then open the hard disk and start the carbonlib update.

You tried to run a program from the Unix drive. This does not work with SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
Cannoli
Space Cadet

Post by Cannoli »

Thank you for the quick response! I tried what you suggested and I still get the same error. It says it cannot be used on this file system and I need to copy it to HFS or enhanced disk and try again
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The description here says the game requires a G3 or G4 Mac: https://macintoshgarden.org/games/zoo-tycoon
Nobody checked the "works with SheepShaver" box so far.
My guess is that the game is looking for a dedicated GPU and a PPC 750 CPU, which SheepShaver does not emulate.
I´ll try and report back.

No dice with SheepShaver I´m afraid (16MB Video Card):

What may work is Qemu with Altivec and sound support - an experimental build.
On my side mouse control was lost, when the game started.

What does work for me is 10.5 Leopard Server in VMWare - VirtualBox may do too.

Setting up Leo Server in a VM may look like a long shot,
but via Apple´s Rosetta emulation many apps and games made for OSX PowerPC do work very well.
Both VMWare and VirtualBox are emulating a GPU with recent versions.

The installation DVD image for Leo Server is hosted at Macintoshgarden.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This should also work in Snow Leopard (10.6) in VirtualBox (license issues notwithstanding) and Snow Leopard Server in VirtualBox/VMWare Fusion/Parallels. It will also work in Tiger Server (x86) (10.4.7+) in VirtualBox.