Aliens vs Predator Gold Crashing at Launch

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Aliens vs Predator Gold Crashing at Launch

Post by riven2000 »

I am trying to run the OS 9 version of AvP Gold from 2000 in a pre-built SS wrapper. When I launch the game, the whole system freezes. I'm hoping it can be fixed in the VM preferences. The virtual drive is 8-9 GB. Any help is greatly appreciated!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Aliens vs Predator Gold Crashing at Launch

Post by adespoton »

AvP requires graphics acceleration. SheepShaver doesn't provide any. It *might* work under one of the QEMU-PPC recent builds, but only if it doesn't actually make use of most of the hardware calls.
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

Ah. Makes sense. And while we're on the subject, since there don't seem to be any pre-built Qemu VMs out there, has anyone written some Qemu instructions that are easy to understand for a non-programmer? I really have a hard time setting that up, and I want to try it.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is it this game? https://macintoshgarden.org/games/alien ... s-predator
If so, the page says: It works in Mac OS 8-9, Mac OS X up to 10.6 (with Rosetta) and works fine in Classic.
That in mind, I would look for an old Intel Core2Duo box with a HD5450 GPU and install Snow Leo on it.
Nawcoms mod CD and a Snow Leopard retail DVD are needed for installation - thats all.
Sure a C2D iMac or similar may be better, but for a small wallet its Hackintosh. ;)

As for QemuPPC, I tried with this build: https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... F/download
The game crashes after the (Quicktime ?) intro movies have been played through.
Not a big surprise presumably.
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

Sounds good. Thanks! :cool: