getting Sheepshaver to continue to work with Catalina

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

etkins
Inquisitive Elf

getting Sheepshaver to continue to work with Catalina

Post by etkins »

I'm a bit of a novice with all this stuff, though I've been using Sheepshaver for years. A novice because of how great it is, I don't have to do much fiddling, it just works and works and works.
Until last week, that is, when I finally upgraded my Mac Mini from OS 10.9 to 10.15 Catalina. I have a loose understanding that Catalina is 64-bit and now doesn't support anything that runs 32-bit. If that's the reason, or something like that, it is what caused my Sheepshaver to not work in the new Catalina OS.
So I went to the Emaculation site, and found what I think is the solution, a new download of the Sheepshaver launcher. And if I was reading it right, and again, I don't consider myself an expert fiddler with Sheepshaver, all I had to do was to download the new file and then replace my existing one.
So I did this, and it is now working fine!
So my question here is only that, and not a problem needing a fix. I just wanted to update my install notes so they'll work down the road, however far that is, when I get a new Mac. Is it correct to say that everything that worked before as far as installing, all that is the same, except I would now use the new file I downloaded and discard the old one?
Thank you.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: getting Sheepshaver to continue to work with Catalina

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose you downloaded the SheepShaver application, not the SheepShaver launcher, and put the new application in place of the older one. And I understand that everything works fine now. Then nothing else is needed.

Except: If you use the "keycodes" file, needed when you use a keyboard layout that is different from the US English qwerty keyboard, you should also replace the old "keycodes" file with the new one.

If you migrate to a new Mac, everything should work, no need to do a new installation. If you do not migrate, you can set up SheepShaver essentially as I suppose you did before. Only, of course, you will use a recent SheepShaver application.
Our setup guide is here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Re: getting Sheepshaver to continue to work with Catalina

Post by etkins »

Thank you for our help, Ronald. And forgive me for using the wrong term, I said launcher, and I'm sure I should have said application.
I assume I got the application, I went here - https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =20&t=7360
I downloaded - https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 200315.zip

Thank you again for your reply, and for keeping new files available that keep us up and running.