2.5 jerky motion compared to 2.4

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

petebocken
Space Cadet

2.5 jerky motion compared to 2.4

Post by petebocken »

I've been running 2.4 for years and finally realized that SS was updated to 64-bit. So I loaded 2.5 and now everything runs jerky. The mouse, selecting menus, everything. I've tried playing around settings, but can't figure out how to get it to run as smooth as 2.4. Any advice? It's Mac OS 8.5.

I tested running 2.5 native in Catalina and also 2.5 in a Parallels VM of Sierra (I had been running 2.4 in the VM since I thought SS was still only 32-bit). Both have the jerky movement. 2.4 in the VM works perfect.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: 2.5 jerky motion compared to 2.4

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The 2.5 builds use the software cursor by default. That should only affect the cursor movements.

First, make sure that your setting for Refresh Rate is set to Dynamic.

If that is not satisfactory, open the prefs file in a text editor and add this line:

Code: Select all

hardcursor true
This will bring back the cursor behavior you were used to in previous versions.

More such "Advanced features" in the setup manual here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... uilds_only

(As always, when you change settings, save the change and shut down the emulator. Changed settings will only take effect at the next SheepShaver startup.)
Thrassic
Space Cadet

Re: 2.5 jerky motion compared to 2.4

Post by Thrassic »

I just wanted to say thanks for this and the forum. I haven't configured SheepShaver in 20 years, and I've been using a sort of "sideshow" version of the Sheepshaver.app application (that I came across at some point in history) until yesterday when I upgraded past the 32-bit exclusion of 10.15 and 11.4. The reason for that is that by chance the sideshow version by default eliminated the jerky cursor. When I was forced to switch back to the mainstream version (64-bit), I decided to find the remedy, and this was it. So thanks!